Is my clutch fried? '01 YZ426

8 replies to this topic
  • Shuffler

Posted January 15, 2006 - 12:58 PM

hey guys. had to pull out a hare scramble today when my clutch stopped working...everything seemed fine (no slipping or anything) and then all of a sudden when I pulled in the clutch lever and went to downshift to 1st, the gear lever slipped all the way down and now it won't move. I think it's stuck in 3rd or 4th gear...the motor is fine and isn't making any strange sounds, so I was able to slip it a bit and ride back to the truck.

I can't get the shift lever to move at all, whether I'm pulling in on the clutch lever or not. It's stuck in gear, but luckily the lever still works so I can roll the bike around.

Diagnosis? If I need a new clutch, what's the best bet for a solid, durable clutch? Any other stuff to check when I go to install a new one? And is it bad to not use the lever and just drop the revs to shift up/down?

Thanks.

• Honda0001

Posted January 15, 2006 - 01:06 PM

Best thing to do for starts is dismantle it and check it out, see what's worn or not...

• MNellis

Posted January 15, 2006 - 01:27 PM

I doubt it's a clutch problem. You've got a transmission problem. At best it might be a problem with the shift shaft parts that can be accessed by pulling the right case cover. At worse, something is broke in the transmission and the cases will have to come apart.

• Shuffler

Posted January 15, 2006 - 07:48 PM

this is all new to me...never had to deal with something like it until now. any tips on things I can check prior to tearing into the clutch/tranny? what kinds of things should I look for?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shuffler

Posted January 15, 2006 - 08:23 PM

ya know, the more I think about it...it has to be the tranny. The clutch is fine, since I was able to ride back to my truck. The clutch was not slipping or doing anything unusual during the race. The shift lever simply let go and pushed all the way down so that it's now sorta pointing downward and as best I can tell, the tranny feels like it's in 3rd or 4th gear.

I can't get the lever to budge; not sure how much force I should be using, and if a combination of turning the wheel and working the clutch lever while trying to move the lever will help. :applause:

• Shuffler

Posted January 15, 2006 - 08:47 PM

kill the thread. it was real simple: the shift lever pinch bolt wasn't tight enough. I am truly a dumbass. but I'm happy that I don't need a new tranny!! I guess that's one more thing to start checking after every ride. thanks for helping me answer my own question... :applause:

• MAD_POTTER

Posted January 15, 2006 - 08:55 PM

I don't know why but I have to tighten my shift lever pinch bolt after every ride on my 426 :applause:
KC

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:54 AM

kill the thread. it was real simple: the shift lever pinch bolt wasn't tight enough. I am truly a dumbass. but I'm happy that I don't need a new tranny!! I guess that's one more thing to start checking after every ride. thanks for helping me answer my own question... :bonk:

Been there and done that.

Isn't it cool when a problem that looks to be several hundred dollars to fix is a little bolt that worked loose. :applause:

• MNellis

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:30 AM

I don't know why but I have to tighten my shift lever pinch bolt after every ride on my 426 :applause:
KC

Safety wire is your friend. Drill, the head of the bolt then safety wire it to the shift lever itself.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.