Getting zapped

3 replies to this topic
  • JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted January 01, 2001 - 11:30 AM

I have a 99 wr4 and after run for a little while when I pull in the front brake I get a small but very noticable shock through my right hand like something is not earthing properly on the bike. It seems to do this after the bike has been ridden hard. I have checked all my earthing points.Has anyone else had this problem or can anyone give any advise on how to fix it.
Besides my bike electricuting me everything else works ok(lights ,blinkers etc).

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 01, 2001 - 08:26 PM

I don't know if this will help but I was shocking myself silly on a honda 250r quad through the safety wire on the grips. After looking it over, the only thing that I could think of is that I was picking up static electricity when I was riding in the dunes. It rained that night and the next moring it didn't shock me any more? Call me crazy but that is the only thing that I could think of causing the discharge.

Maybe this is you problem??

Lance

'00wr
'86 honda 250r quad

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 03, 2001 - 05:12 PM

I had that same problem, also in the dunes outside of El Centro, CA. I wrapped some electrical tape underneath the "kill" switch and the problem ceased....might give it a try.

• JAMIE_WILLIAMS

Posted January 03, 2001 - 06:28 PM

I think I found the problem.The Australian models are fitted with a pressure switch on the front brake reservior for the rear brake light.I tested it with a multimeter and when I pull in the lever the pressure switch was shorting to the outside of the switch which was attached to the lever.

Thanks for your responses.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.