06 450. How much shifting?

5 replies to this topic
  • bigblue450

Posted January 15, 2006 - 05:39 AM

Can you ride the 06 on a mx track in mostly 3rd gear like the 03 4 speed. I sold my 03 but I loves the idea of not much shifting. 2nd for tight turns and maybe 4th on long straights. Wow that bike had power. I get my new 06 this week and i hope I like the gearbox. I am a 38yr old B rider. The 4 speed made me lazy. Twist and go,like an automatic.

• DPW

Posted January 15, 2006 - 06:24 AM

Can you ride the 06 on a mx track in mostly 3rd gear like the 03 4 speed. I sold my 03 but I loves the idea of not much shifting. 2nd for tight turns and maybe 4th on long straights. Wow that bike had power. I get my new 06 this week and i hope I like the gearbox. I am a 38yr old B rider. The 4 speed made me lazy. Twist and go,like an automatic.

I'm lazy too and the 5-speed is fine. Fifth is like over-drive now and third almost seems better to me. With my '03 and '05 there was times when third felt to low and fourth to high, I don't have that issue with the new bike. I have not run into anything that made me wish I had the old '05 or '03 for that mater over the '06. The new '06 is a great bike. I am a 35yr old C/D rider and MX only.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:06 AM

I loves the idea of having the gear I want when I need it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxis4me

Posted January 15, 2006 - 08:43 PM

i just got off a 04 yz 450 and i like havin that xtra gear . you will notice u have to shift it more though but i think youll get used to it real quick, i know i did . the tracks that i rode in 3rd on my 04 i now ride using 3rd and 4th . but thats fine with me . it dosent bother me in the least. the 06 is just so much a better overall bike

• RAMARION

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:56 PM

you will have to shift more.......... on my 03 YZ I ran the track in one gear........... now I shift maybe 3x per lap............my 05 CRF 450 I thought it was a 125 smoker I shifted her so much..........LOL

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2006 - 10:33 PM

From the ratios I've seen in print, it looks like the '06 is geared somewhat lower than previous years, probably to bring 5th down to a point where it's useful on an MX course at some foreseeable time. (The first 4 gear ratios are nearly identical to the old four speed.) Lowering the overall gearing makes the gear set seem closer spaced on any motorcycle. If you did find that the trans is too tightly packed for your liking, gearing it higher will fix that, and the YZ will definitely pull it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.