Restored and upgraded 1989 XR600R Pictures

6 replies to this topic
  • DSTerry

Posted January 14, 2006 - 10:58 PM

I finally posted some pictures of my XR.

It is a 1989 stock XR600R with many parts from a 1993 XR600R.

Upgraded parts from the 1993 include:

Front forks, tire assembly, caliper, master cylinder, applied upper triple clamps, and pro taper bars.
Rear shock, swing arm, linkage, all rear disc brake parts, tire assembly.

I installed the front and rear turn signals, brake light and switch, mirror, and turn signal switch to make it street legal.

Rims are Excel. I replaced all the rear spokes with the fatter excel spokes and nipples. Front and rear disc rotors and pads are new. New front and rear chain guides. New chain and sprockets. New front and rear wheel bearings. New Pirelli DOT tires.

All plastic is original. I lightly sanded the plastic down and use Plastic Renew to bring back the shine. It has held up very well so far, and it only takes 2 minutes to re-apply a thin coat to all the plastic if necessary.

Every component was completely dis-assembled, re-lubed, or replaced on the bike. Except for the motor. Forks were torn apart down to the valve stacks. Calipers were rebuilt. And pretty much every single part was removed, cleaned and put back together again.

The motor will soon recieve a new piston and rings, vavle seals, and anything else that may be worn out.

Other than that, it starts on the 2nd to 3rd kick every time, and has ran great for me once in the desert, and many trips back and forth to work over the last month.

You can view the pictures here:

http://community.web...user/terrynshed

• DSTerry

Posted January 14, 2006 - 11:10 PM

Hmmm. Not sure why the URL in my signature did not work.

• timothypg

Posted January 15, 2006 - 04:53 AM

very nice. i'am doing an 86. i would love to have a rear disc. was it a pain? i have to really stand on it to stop sometimes :applause: new seat cover? i could not find an original style seat cover for mine, local shop did it $85.00. i also will be putting in a new piston 628, wiseco. how about you?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mountain Road Madness

Posted January 15, 2006 - 04:53 AM

Nice job guy, good looking bike. :applause: :bonk: :cry:

• goblin127

Posted January 15, 2006 - 07:44 AM

Very nice! Good job.

• frankstr

Posted January 15, 2006 - 08:18 AM

Great lookin bike.. :applause: nice job.. :bonk:

• DSTerry

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:16 AM

very nice. i'am doing an 86. i would love to have a rear disc. was it a pain? i have to really stand on it to stop sometimes :applause: new seat cover? i could not find an original style seat cover for mine, local shop did it $85.00. i also will be putting in a new piston 628, wiseco. how about you?

The rear disc was not really a pain since I had a complete '93 parts bike to use. All I had to do was cut off the master cylinder and brake pedal mounting brackets from the 93 frame and weld them in the same spot on my 89 frame. Then everything just bolted on like stock.

The seat cover came on the bike when I bought it. It looks like it was replaced at some time since it is a Ceet cover.

I plan on using all the Honda OEM parts to rebuild the motor. If by chance the cylinder is really worn, then I will consider going with an oversize kit. Or I might just re-sleeve it. Not sure yet.

I've been searching around a bit to figure out what type of mods I can do to the motor and keep it just as reliable and easy to start. It would be nice to have some more power, but not absolutely necessary. Though I am thinking I should get some more power back just from the rebuild. The motor runs fine, but the compression is a bit low and it smokes quite a bit. Thats why I have only put 100 miles on the thing. Just waiting to get some time so I can tear the motor down.

Have fun with your 86.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.