2006 YZ450F jetting?

35 replies to this topic
  • Blue_White_Rider

Posted January 17, 2006 - 05:06 PM

What does disconnecting the TPS do? And what are the pros / cons?

• aford541

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by aford541
Before I rode my bike I changed the jets to what Burned reccomended for a bike at sea lavel 48 / 170 with the fuel screw at 2 I ran ELF LMS fuel.

My bike still had an off idle bog and it still seemed lean, so I
1. raised the needle one.
2. wired the accelerator pump.
3. Installed both power now's.
4. disconnected the throttle position sensor.
Now the bike runs like a missle, its like you can't shift fast enough and the bike just keeps pulling, and never bogs.

Can you expaling where you learned about items 2 and 4?

Thanks

2. Steve From Just Performance told me about wiring the accellerator pump, it eliminates the need for the boyesen cover. Someone said Yamaha of troy does it on the 250f's they build. pm me your e-mail and I will take a picture of my 05 and e-mail it to you.

4. There is a dyno chart somewhere here on Thumper Talk that shows the improvement on the 03 through 05 yz's when you disconnect the TPS, It is my theorey that the TPS limits low RPM ignition advance so bad fuel does not make them detonate. Most of us use the good fuel and don't need it. I was going to plug it back in yesterday to see if it made any difference on my 06 but was freezing my a$$ off and opted not to.

• beezer

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:34 PM

I know people who have wired the accel pump and say it gives much better throttle response.

I appreciate all you guys getting the jetting done for me.

It's 25 degrees here and since I'm a homosexual I haven't even started my new bike.

• aford541

Posted January 17, 2006 - 06:46 PM

I know people who have wired the accel pump and say it gives much better throttle response.

I appreciate all you guys getting the jetting done for me.

It's 25 degrees here and since I'm a homosexual I haven't even started my new bike.

Thats harsh, I'd start it regardless. :thumbsup:

• ktmscott1x

Posted January 18, 2006 - 03:23 PM

cool, thanks guys this is what i wanted to see...

• aford541

Posted January 18, 2006 - 06:04 PM

AP wiring mod
Second Picture of ap witing mod

• scottpb33

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:35 AM

LOL! I lost my needle too. :p Fortunately the local shop had one of the aftermarket thumbscrew models in stock.

At sea level in Orlando at 50F I'm running a 45 pilot and a 170 main with the fuel screw at 2 1/4 turns out. Runs great.

I'm still dialing in the suspension to my liking and it's getting much better.

--KT--

OK, finally got some warm weather in "Iceland" (New Jersey), and I'm running a 48 pilot and a 170 main. The screw is out 1.75 and runs really crisp :thumbsup: , :thumbsup: A 45 on the pilot is good also, but I was afraid of lossing another screw :worthy:, so I opted for the next size. I went to the motorcycle show in NY City there were server people asking the same questions :eek: they did not know about thumpertalk. :bonk: Good riding to all!

• Ga426owner

Posted January 22, 2006 - 06:46 AM

AP wiring mod
Second Picture of ap witing mod

This is interesting............please explain in detail what this does. How does it affect duration/squirt. How is this similar to what the QuickShot will accomplish - which is better for throttle response?
Anyone else have any feedback or test results on this mod?
I like this type of discussion............. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aford541

Posted January 22, 2006 - 09:18 PM

This is interesting............please explain in detail what this does. How does it affect duration/squirt. How is this similar to what the QuickShot will accomplish - which is better for throttle response?
Anyone else have any feedback or test results on this mod?
I like this type of discussion............. :thumbsup:

Wiring the AP forces the fuel in instead of relying on the AP spring to push it in, In theorey it should squirt the fuel in at a higher rate thus shortening the duration.
I bought the Boyesen AP cover and it did not work with the AP wired, I don't know why but I returned it.
On the stand or on the track you crack the throttle and it barks, I was really impressed how the 05 YZ responded, the 06 is the same.
Try it, you can always remove the wire.

• l8r

Posted April 22, 2006 - 03:19 PM

I have a new 06 yzf450 and had a very lean condition, popping, backfiring etc... at zero to 1/4 throttle opening.
Dealer stated they installed 45 pilots on all new 450s. They left the stock 42 in my bike. This is really no big deal, just need to do some minor tuning.

Location is Charlotte, NC 795 feet above sea level.
Weather has been in the range of 70 to 85 degrees and mostly dry air conditions.

To correct the lean condition:
1) Installed a Boyesen QuickShot.
2) Tried a 42, 45 pilot and ended up going **Update 04-25-06 installed 45 pilot, 48 was too rich in the 90' heat fuel screw at 2.***
3) Fuel screw 2~2.5 turns out (this is just my base line setting)
4) Needle raised (lowered clip one position) 5th clip position from top.
5) OEM - stock main jet 165
6) Leak Jet #50 (have a 45 on order and will update the post when I have the opportunity to test it)
7) Adjusted the accelerator pump timing screw .080 inch (Boyesen suggests .100) here is a good link for the proper steps to check the distance/timing. http://crfsonly.com/...ews/apc/apc.php

This produces instant crisp throttle response, no hesitation, bogging or popping and one kick starting. Also there is no popping or backfires on deceleration entering corners.

So far this bike is flawless, jetting is not a defect. This bike would run perfectly stock in southern FL 90 degrees 100% humidity. Suspension is super plush. Motor runs like an electric motor now, perfect.

• RIDE 13

Posted April 25, 2006 - 12:43 PM

I have an 06 450,Stock air filter,WB E-2,#165 main neenle jet 4th pos.,pilot#42,pilot air jet #100,pilot screw 2 1/8 out,starter jet#72,leak jet #55. :ride: I am in wash. st.about 1200 ft above sea level. It runs like a raped ape. I must have gotton lucky :crazy:

• Sapling Thrasher

Posted April 26, 2006 - 08:38 AM

Are most of you guys just installing the wire on the AP pump like the pictures above?? I saw somewhere on here that you had to take the bottom AP cover off and do a few other things as well. I haven't done it yet. If all it takes is just the wire I will be all over it.

Sap

• l8r

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:46 PM

Not sure about the wiring of the AP (Accelerator Pump) timing adjuster. The AP rod is not fixed to the diaphragm. So the AP is relying on the spring to push fuel through the circuit when the throttle is opened, not the pulling of the rod. Correct me if I am off base.

I think everyone is missing the leak jet adjustment. The smaller the jet, the increase in pressure within the accelerator pump circuit to produce a stronger spray (Richer mixture off idle). It is hard to find the jets, but they are the same as the power jets on a 2002 rm250. Suzuki even gives the jet sizes in the parts Microfiche. The Suzuki part # is (JET, POWER (45) 13345-37F00).

I am having really good luck with: Boyesen QuickShot, 45 pilot, 50 leak jet, 165 main and stock needle fifth clip slot down.

This is great that we can all collaborate and share our tuning experiences from all over the Globe.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 26, 2006 - 03:51 PM

Not sure about the wiring of the AP (Accelerator Pump) timing adjuster. The AP rod is not fixed to the diaphragm. So the AP is relying on the spring to push fuel through the circuit when the throttle is opened, not the pulling of the rod. Correct me if I am off base.

I think everyone is missing the leak jet adjustment. The smaller the jet, the increase in pressure within the accelerator pump circuit to produce a stronger spray (Richer mixture off idle). It is hard to find the jets, but they are the same as the power jets on a 2002 rm250. Suzuki even gives the jet sizes in the parts Microfiche. The Suzuki part # is (JET, POWER (45) 13345-37F00).

I am having really good luck with: Boyesen QuickShot, 45 pilot, 50 leak jet, 165 main and stock needle fifth clip slot down.

This is great that we can all collaborate and share our tuning experiences from all over the Globe.

agreed and more amazing is all the differences for "the best setting" at the same general altitudes..... :crazy:
I will try the leak jet deal as I have a few of them...but I can not see a better than result from my 48/170 deal I have now... crisp throttle response, no bog, perfect....am I am a jetting nut....JD?

• jimbopitts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 07:24 PM

Live in Northern NJ. Stock Jetting was not working to good.

I backed out the air screw about a 1.25 turns, ran pretty good, but not right.
The screw must have been out pretty far, since is vibrated completely out in the field I was testing the bike in, nice. Bought after market needle to replace, much better to work with.

Went to a 45 pilot first, some difference, but not really noticeable. Then went to a 48, biggest difference was the air screw adjustment. The bike would actually run with it turned all the way in. It was a little over fifty degrees when I tested, it ran good, lots of good top end, but when I backed off the throttle, it popped big time. The biggest difference was in starting, much easier!

I went a 170 on the main, it got way to cold to test. Will test later this week again, suppose to go to fifties again, will let you guys know.

It's a fuel screw

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 08, 2015 - 11:28 AM

Well that is not bad. Replying almost 10 years old post. :D

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.