05 WR450 Needs More Low End Torque?

26 replies to this topic
  • bandit99

Posted January 13, 2006 - 01:24 PM

I love the mid-range and top end on my WR450 but feel it is missing some low end punch. I am coming off a XR400 which is all low end so maybe I just need to learn a different riding style.

I have the AIS removed, Jd jetting done, gray wire cut, throttle stop changed, stock pipe with the insert removed, snorkle removed.

Questions: What other things can I do to affect the low end and which ones will give me the most gains for the buck?

p.s: I would like to stay under 96db.

• Swift1

Posted January 13, 2006 - 01:43 PM

Bandit
I think your stock pipe with all your modifications could be holding it back a little. I have a Yoshi Tri Oval on mine, its a little loud but does certainly improve it. Not sure of the Db reading on these though. One thing I have noticed is the 450 I have certainly does not seem to have the low torque of my old WR426 I had with all the mods done, it would pull stumps.
Cheers..

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 13, 2006 - 02:14 PM

The pipe really holds down the bottom end on the bike, look for an alternative exhaust system, there are many to choose from. The Powernow carburetor insert helps with bottom end power delivery as well.

• SteveWR450F

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:20 PM

I agree. I would make sure bike is properly jetted. For more low down pull, I would suggest the following: aftermarket pipe, power now but not power now plus and boyseen pump accelerator. Dropping a tooth on the front sprocket will also help it tractor down low.

• byggd

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:23 PM

I remember with my old super-trap system it was more disks = less back pressure = less bottom end and more top end while less disks = more back pressure = more bottom end and less top end.......so wouldn't a free flowing pipe just improve high mid to top end? :applause:

• bandit99

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Do any of the quite pipes help vs. the stock pipe? Is that worth the money?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Do any of the quite pipes help vs. the stock pipe? Is that worth the money?

Yes, the quiet pipes do quite well actually.. I think they're worth the money.

• Matty05

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:47 PM

I would suggest a longer header, like a FMF supercross powerbomb header.
The longer header gives you more torque, more bottom - mid range.

• rich1167

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:48 PM

Try a 13T front sprocket, Its cheap and you may like it. Where I was between 2nd and 3rd I now can just stay in 3rd.

• Bandit9

Posted January 13, 2006 - 05:10 PM

Name stealer! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • LTK300

Posted January 13, 2006 - 05:41 PM

Try a 13T front sprocket, Its cheap and you may like it. Where I was between 2nd and 3rd I now can just stay in 3rd.

The 13 tooth will make a huge difference, but you will loose some top end. You could also go larger on the back. I am thinking of trying a heavier fly wheel weight as was suggested to me by a freind.

• rich1167

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:03 PM

Mine still has plenty of top end for me. I don't do a lot of open riding. Mostly single track and trails in the mountains. If you do a lot of desert type stuff you may not want to go the same route. I love the 13 front.

• LTK300

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Mine still has plenty of top end for me. I don't do a lot of open riding. Mostly single track and trails in the mountains. If you do a lot of desert type stuff you may not want to go the same route. I love the 13 front.

I agree. I did it on my KLX 331, and loved it on the tight stuff. :applause:

• clark4131

Posted January 13, 2006 - 11:21 PM

I popped a 13 on my '05 and WOOHOO!!! Low end torque for days :applause: ...SC

• stanleigh12

Posted January 14, 2006 - 05:20 AM

I agree with Matty. I installed a compltete FMF 4.1 system and I couldn't be happier with the torque throughout all ranges. I will say, however, if low end is your primary focus, get a Yosh pipe. :applause:

• MathProf

Posted January 14, 2006 - 07:27 AM

I bought a year old FMF Powercore 4 and put in a JD Jetting kit.

If you remove the Quiet Core, the low end power will be plenty.

Change the pipe and re-jet, you won't be short of power anywhere.

• 450 Hurricane

Posted January 14, 2006 - 01:10 PM

I am very happy with the pick up in the low end I got after installing the full Dr D exhaust system. I wanted better low end, but didn't want anything too loud and the Dr D system fit the bill perfectly!

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 14, 2006 - 01:45 PM

Name stealer! :cry:

Have a sook, do a search for blue beast, fruck me ........ :bonk: :applause:

• mmello

Posted January 14, 2006 - 06:35 PM

Hi there ,

Does the grey wire mod decrease the low end tork ?
It should increase the mid hi end tork, Am I right ?
Or , doing the grey wire mod increase the hole range of tork ?
I ´d like to do the grey wire mod in my bike, but I´m afraid I ´m gonna loose low end tork .

Can anyone help me ?

• rich1167

Posted January 14, 2006 - 07:05 PM

It really dosen't do all that much. Someone posted dyno results of the Gray wire mod about a month or so ago. I think they had 1 more HP and 1 more Ft pound on the top end. If you do a search you may find the post.

Heres the therad.

http://www.thumperta...=gray wire dyno

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.