Does Rekluse = no engine braking?

6 replies to this topic
  • mtrdrms

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:08 AM

Just curious as I was about to buy one and a friend asked me how I would like no engine braking and I guess I had never really thought about that :applause:

• 642MX

Posted January 13, 2006 - 09:24 AM

You can still keep your engine braking, its all in the set up. The only thing you can't do is bump start it.

• MNellis

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:35 PM

You won't have as much engine braking but, that's what the brakes are for. Since you can't stall it, you just jump on the brakes whenever you need to slow down. Get rid o fthe clutch lever and stick a brake lever there to activate the rear brake and you'll be good to go.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:49 PM

just be careful when u take it up in the r's in 4th or whatever-let off then get back on it---u can do damage to the engine or clutch----im in the wrong forum but just a general tip cuz i got one on my crf :applause:

• crf-f crf-r trx cbr

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:51 PM

when going downhill and it disengages----just blip the throttle and it will begin engine braking :applause:

• 642MX

Posted January 13, 2006 - 07:07 PM

just be careful when u take it up in the r's in 4th or whatever-let off then get back on it---u can do damage to the engine or clutch----im in the wrong forum but just a general tip cuz i got one on my crf :applause:

I guess you have some info to back that claim up?

• lipskid

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:52 PM

When you roll off the throttle, the clutch stays engaged and you have engine braking, just like a standard clutch. Once you take off and are riding, the clutch stays engaged until A- you roll to a stop(or slow enough speed) and engine rpm's drop low enough, or B- you lock up the rear wheel. If you lock up the rear wheel going down a hill, the clutch will disengage, and when you let off the brake you will free-wheel. A quick blip of the throttle to engage the clutch, and you have engine braking again.
When shifting, you are shifting without the clutch, since engine rpm's don't fall low enough to disengage it.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.