First 06 450 complaint

15 replies to this topic
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted January 13, 2006 - 07:37 AM

Last night when I was reinstalling the subframe on my bike I had my first struggle with my bike. I had one heck of a time getting the air boot reconected to the back of the carb. This is my first 4-stroke so maybe there is a trick to doing this that I am not aware of. My YZ250 was cake compared to my new bike. Does anyone have any helpful tips besides just lubing the air boot opening.

• dmoney2023

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:00 PM

Don't take your bike apart.

4 strokes are not meant to be tooled with like the pingers.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Don't take your bike apart.

4 strokes are not meant to be tooled with like the pingers.

Whaaaaaat?! :applause: Keep up that philosophy and we'll see when your bike implodes.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:20 PM

Is it possable to fit your hand down inside the air boot ? i found that the easiest way on some of the other bikes i've owned, one hand inside and the other out side.

• DBH

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:23 PM

Well, it's better than dealing with this:

http://i9.photobucke...dt/IMG_7285.jpg

• DBH

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Honda's idea of a sunroof:

http://i9.photobucke...dt/IMG_7287.jpg

• Ga426owner

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:37 PM

Last night when I was reinstalling the subframe on my bike I had my first struggle with my bike. I had one heck of a time getting the air boot reconected to the back of the carb. This is my first 4-stroke so maybe there is a trick to doing this that I am not aware of. My YZ250 was cake compared to my new bike. Does anyone have any helpful tips besides just lubing the air boot opening.

yep...#1 loosen the front boot towards the cylinder - both allenheads (this will give you more flexibility) - install in the rear first (while you can move the subframe up and down bolted under the seat) then #2 the front boot second....do not use lube...messy and attracts dust... last thing #3 install and tighten lower subframe bolts....:applause:

• bigjohn450

Posted January 13, 2006 - 01:09 PM

[COLOR=Blue]i have found that if i heat mine up with like a blow dryer or something it makes it really flexible and much easeir to reinstall.[/COLOR]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Reyndogg

Posted January 13, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Remove upper shock bolt and let the shock fall and kinda float....makes it much easier.

heating w/hair drier would help as well.

• MXKyle

Posted January 13, 2006 - 01:57 PM

I've had me rear subframe off my 06. Re-assembly was not much worse than my old 450. Neither are easy.

--KT--

• gchprime

Posted January 13, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Put a LITE amount of grease in the lip of the boot and it should go right on. Remember, use a LITE amount of grease. :applause:

• Thumparoobonzai

Posted January 13, 2006 - 02:38 PM

I removed the shock bolt like previously stated. Then I moved the hose clamp back off the area that slipped on the carb throat and it went right on. Then slide the hose clamp back into its proper position.
My 2 cents worth. :applause:

• jeffboyd47m

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:21 PM

I appreciate all the tips they gave me some ideas to try next time.

• Satch0922

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:46 PM

having a WORKS BIKE in your garage will take a little getting used to ... :applause:

• Blue_White_Rider

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:20 PM

just had mine off last night as well. that is a pain but i found that if i pulled the carb out of the front boot a little so it would sit at a better angle then slid the whole subframe in fairly easily.

• howard27

Posted January 14, 2006 - 01:24 PM

CONGATS ON YOUR NEW ONE . I STUMBLED ON A EASIER WAY TO RE- CONNECT THAT BOOT . DROP THE TOP SHOCK MOUNT . THIS ALLOWS A LITTLE MORE HAND ROOM . BOOT CLAMP WAY LOOSE AND YES ON THAT BLOW DRYER. THIS METHOD IS A MUST IF YOU WANT TO INSTALL A POWER NOW. GOOD LUCK :applause:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.