Help on a KLR 650 Engine rebuild

5 replies to this topic
  • atlasiniraq

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:43 AM

Hi.
I have a very sick KLR. For some reason (unknown at this time) this engine blew all the oil out and also locked up two times on my last trip with the bike. It got me home by the way.

The mechanic says: "Piston, rings, Cylinder bore, Connecting Rod and crank bearings are galded and burned, Will need oversize piston and rings, cylinder bored oversize,
Crankshaft pressed apart and Connecting rod kit (includes rod,crankpin, thrustwashers and rod bearing) replaced, Crank pressed together and trued, Valve job on head and valve seals replaced, Replace countershaft seal and shifter seal."
Pretty bad. His estimate was $1270 which was fair, I suppose, but much more than I am able to spend. I have investigated buying an used engine but have found prices from $800 to 2400. Again more than I am willing to spend, at least for an engine with an unknown history.

I need advice from any one who has rebuilt a klr 650 engine on the problems they had, recommendations on where to buy parts.etc. Is there any way for a home mechanic to dissasemble the crankshaft and re-assemble it? Are any aftermarket parts available? If work has to be sent out, recommendations on the best shops, etc..
I want to be able to get this bike back on the hi-way, but the prices are really scaring me off.
I have some mechanical skill, but not a lot.
I am out of the country at this time, but I will be back in Northwast GA about June.

Thanks to any one who wants to respond.
Off-list address is atlasshrugged1999@yahoo.com

Thanks again
Dan

• bigfatgreenbike

Posted January 13, 2006 - 11:53 PM

A home mechanic would have to buy a hydraulic press, a degree wheel, a runouot gauge, and be VERY careful/skilled. You also need the press to install all the bearings in the crankcases. There's no better way to learn about your bike.

If I were you, I'd buy a running, beat-up KLR650. Put the motor into my bike, then disassemble the damaged motor. It would be a good idea to find out why it seized, rather than just rebuild it and have it happen again.

• redralph68

Posted August 13, 2007 - 10:33 PM

If you have to have it rebuilt look for the kit to make it a 685. Big boost in power

• Trailryder42

Posted August 14, 2007 - 09:21 AM

As to a cause, make sure the oil filter was installed in the proper direction and that the bypass tube was installed too. People often unknowingly throw that part away.

• Britishbikes

Posted August 26, 2007 - 05:07 PM

You know that $1270 number sounds pretty low for that amount of work. It sounds like the cost of parts alone... I just hopped up my KLR and just the top end- cams, muffler, jet kit and 685 kit cost around $1300. That includes the valve cut and bore. The engine was in good shape when I tore it down.
Just did it to hop it up... But remember most of the work was done by me.

When I worked on BSA's and Triumphs, a complete rebuild cost around $2500-$3000, not including shipping. Of course the cases had to be polished, and the external fasteners replaced with new or recad plated, but the cost without that would still be only a couple of hundered less. Most of the engines we worked on were twins, but the singles were only about $100 or so cheaper, since they needed only two valves, but the single pistons cost almost as much as a set for a twin. The steel liners in the aluminum bores were harder to cut than the cast iron cylinders on the twins... British engine parts are about on par with Japanese parts as far as cost so I figure all the work he just described would run around $2000+ if you brought the motor to him out of the frame. Figure another 6 hours to remove, reinstall and test ride the engine in the bike.

Having done work on Japanese singles too, the $1270 cost for a top and bottom end job sounds really low. I do remember one guy who hit the oil plug on a rock with his KLR and he said he only needed a bore job and a piston... but several years ago this still cost him $1100 to have the work done.

That being said, if you know Deep South Cycles in Thomasville, GA, thet have competent ADULT mechanics and they even lent me a bike to ride home when a repair took longer than they expected. (A minor warranty repair on a streetbike.)

PS did your mechanic actually do a teardown or just guess at the damage? Lots of times the ball and roller crank bearings survive as they need relatively little oil. My first guess as to which bearings would go bad besides the piston rings would be the plain cam bearings. Again I have seen this before on older Jap 4cylinders. And on the British twins which ran out of oil it was the plain rod bearing farthest from the oil pump that bit the dust first, not the ball or rollers. A the only plain bearings in a KLR are the cam bearings and the top end rod bearing, with the cam bearings being the most sensitive to oil starvation. Anyway, if you aren't used to deciding what needs to be done inside a damaged engine, I would consider getting a few more estimates, and be weary of a low one... try to find some consistancy in which parts are going to need to be replaced etc. The low bid may get you going, but the work may not be satisfactory in the long run.

You can pull the crank yourself and have an auto machine shop called Hytech in Albany Ga replace the pin and rod if it needs to be done. If they don't have the equipment they will know someone who does. They are very conpetent people who are bike nuts too. They can also do the valve job.

• redralph68

Posted October 09, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Hi.
I have a very sick KLR. For some reason (unknown at this time) this engine blew all the oil out and also locked up two times on my last trip with the bike. It got me home by the way.

The mechanic says: "Piston, rings, Cylinder bore, Connecting Rod and crank bearings are galded and burned, Will need oversize piston and rings, cylinder bored oversize,
Crankshaft pressed apart and Connecting rod kit (includes rod,crankpin, thrustwashers and rod bearing) replaced, Crank pressed together and trued, Valve job on head and valve seals replaced, Replace countershaft seal and shifter seal."
Pretty bad. His estimate was $1270 which was fair, I suppose, but much more than I am able to spend. I have investigated buying an used engine but have found prices from $800 to 2400. Again more than I am willing to spend, at least for an engine with an unknown history.

I need advice from any one who has rebuilt a klr 650 engine on the problems they had, recommendations on where to buy parts.etc. Is there any way for a home mechanic to dissasemble the crankshaft and re-assemble it? Are any aftermarket parts available? If work has to be sent out, recommendations on the best shops, etc..
I want to be able to get this bike back on the hi-way, but the prices are really scaring me off.
I have some mechanical skill, but not a lot.
I am out of the country at this time, but I will be back in Northwast GA about June.

Thanks to any one who wants to respond.
Off-list address is atlasshrugged1999@yahoo.com

Thanks again
Dan

if your building a klr 650 and it sounds like you have to buy piston and other parts you should do a search for the klr 685 kit. It is about $225 that would not be a lot more than buying stock parts and it is a huge performance upgrade.

Related Content

Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2001 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2001
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2006 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2006
  • 2 reviews
  • Last review by Happsen
  • On September 02, 2014
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2010 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2010
  • 1 review
  • Last review by jon2xc
  • On February 16, 2014
Forums
Photo

Shim factory setting size needed for valve adjustment. by rodrigonehme

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KLX/KLR 600/650
  • 4 replies
Reviews

Kawasaki KLR650 2011 by ThumperTalk

Kawasaki KLR650 2011
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.