2003 YZF Transmission Problem

4 replies to this topic
  • gardnpa185

Posted January 12, 2006 - 12:09 PM

I have a 2003 YZF450 that I bought recently with low hours on it. My second ride on it and I appear to have blown 3rd gear. I landed from a jump and it made a horrible clanking sound. I thought the motor blew up. I pulled in the clutch and killed the engine. When I started it back up it ran fine and went thru the gears but now everytime I let off the gas in 3rd it makes a grinding noise and vibrates.

Anyone else have a similar problem? How big of a hassle is it to split the cases on one of these?

Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2006 - 01:06 PM

Sounds like an accurate diagnosis. Don't run it any more until it's fixed though, as the gearbox shares oil with the engine.

As far as splitting the cases, there are a lot of parts, but it's pretty straightforward. There is one case bolt up to the rear of the ignition cover that can get overlooked because it's not out on the perimeter like all the rest.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 12, 2006 - 02:54 PM

I have a 2003 YZF450 that I bought recently with low hours on it. My second ride on it and I appear to have blown 3rd gear. I landed from a jump and it made a horrible clanking sound. I thought the motor blew up. I pulled in the clutch and killed the engine. When I started it back up it ran fine and went thru the gears but now everytime I let off the gas in 3rd it makes a grinding noise and vibrates.

Anyone else have a similar problem? How big of a hassle is it to split the cases on one of these?

Thanks in advance.

This is more common than most would think - I have seen 4 cases of 3rd gear outages here in my region all on 03s...all happened exactly like you said...."I landed from a jump and CLANK"
Not too difficult to remedy....find a trusted mechanic if you don't dare do it yourself.... :applause:

• gardnpa185

Posted January 13, 2006 - 05:49 AM

After It first happened I only rode it around slow to find out what was wrong. I think I will start taking it apart and start ordering parts.

Thanks for the help.

• gardnpa185

Posted January 30, 2006 - 12:46 PM

You hit the nail on the head! I finally got around to splitting the cases and found 3rd gear had a spline missing. Luckily the broken piece fell to the bottom of the cases and did not cause any more damage. The pinnion gear is also chewed up, so I am going to replace both gears and all the tranny bearings to be safe.

Thanks for your help!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.