Whats the grey wire do??? Should I cut it???

36 replies to this topic
  • byggd

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:25 PM

As far as I know all US models have the wire. Take off you seat and tank and follow the wires back from the CDI unit along the top of the frame and you should find a 6 pin connector, one of the wires will be gray. You can cut it and tape it up, or push one end out of the connector and seal it, or add a toggle switch so you can switch from wr to yz timing.... but keep in mind you will need to turn the bike off for it to take effect.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 02, 2006 - 03:26 PM

i have a 2004 wr 450. where would i find the gray wire?
my local dealer told me that year didnt have one. i have my suspicions.

Your dealer is mistaken. Under the tank on the right side of the frame backbone is a 6-wire connector. The gray wire is one of them. If you can get ahold of the May '05 issue of Dirt Rider magazine, I covered this and many other mods for the Yamaha in detail. Most of the 250 mods on ThumperFAQ are applicable to the 450. :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Here is write up on the 03 and the 04 is pretty much the same. Just ignore the part about the woodruff key issue as it only applies to the 03.
http://www.off-road....4/runright.html

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted February 02, 2006 - 04:29 PM

Here is write up on the 03 and the 04 is pretty much the same. Just ignore the part about the woodruff key issue as it only applies to the 03.

This is an interesting write up. Haven't heard about re-routing the hose to prevent water from getting sucked in.

Is this something that everyone does?

• CycleWriter

Posted February 02, 2006 - 05:33 PM

This is an interesting write up. Haven't heard about re-routing the hose to prevent water from getting sucked in.

Is this something that everyone does?

That, too, was covered in the article I mentioned earlier. If you regularly ride in the mud or cross water it's a highly recommended mod. Do NOT route the hose to the bottom of the air box, though, as some in here recommend.

• beakr

Posted February 02, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Do NOT route the hose to the bottom of the air box, though, as some in here recommend.

Why not? That is how they came from the factory in '05 (and I assume '06). I bought the '05 breather hose and fitted it to my '04 and ran it to the same location on my airbox that the '05s are to prevent the water sucking issue.

• CycleWriter

Posted February 02, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Why not? That is how they came from the factory in '05 (and I assume '06). I bought the '05 breather hose and fitted it to my '04 and ran it to the same location on my airbox that the '05s are to prevent the water sucking issue.

Because water and debris can collect in the bottom of the air box. Do you want to risk having that crap sucked into your engine?

• BajaFool

Posted February 02, 2006 - 09:53 PM

As Cyclewriter pointed out, DO NOT leave the engine breather hose routed to the bottom of the airbox. If any water enters the airbox, it will drain into the breather hose and may end up in the top of the motor. If you have a 2004 or older WR and you have modified the routing of the breather hose so that it enters the bottom of the airbox, make sure that you add a piece of hose on the fitting that you installed in the airbox. This will ensure that the hose opening is high enough to stay out of any water that may enter the airbox. If you have a 2005 or newer WR, remove the engine breather hose from the factory fitting located at the bottom of the airbox. Re-route the hose up to the AIS fitting on the top of the airbox (assuming that you removed your AIS, if you haven't, do it now). Use the rubber cap that came in the AIS Removal Kit to blank off the AIS fitting on the airbox to blank off the now abandoned engine breather hose fitting. Also, check the little drain hose at the bottom of the airbox. My 2006 has this hose, but the end was not open. I cut the end of the drain hose on a 45 degree angle so water will drain out of the airbox.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • steve lemley

Posted February 02, 2006 - 10:00 PM

Heres what happens when you run it into your air box... Your air filter gets caked with oil after a while. The tube is not only a breather but it will spit small amounts of oil out consistanly over a long higher rpm ride. I had this problem and solved it by doing this. Its a self explanatory picture and not only does my oil never leak anymore and make no mess but the crankcase is safe from water if i stall. Best 6 bucks on a mod I ever spent... :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: :bonk:

Heres the link to the thread that explains it or just look at the picture!!!
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=332743

Posted Image

• CycleWriter

Posted February 03, 2006 - 12:36 PM

Heres what happens when you run it into your air box... Your air filter gets caked with oil after a while. The tube is not only a breather but it will spit small amounts of oil out consistanly over a long higher rpm ride.

Steve, I mounted mine just above the air filter. The miniscule amount of oil that comes out drips right onto the filter. If you routinely clean your air filter (as you should) it can't possibly be a problem.

I had this problem and solved it by doing this. Its a self explanatory picture and not only does my oil never leak anymore and make no mess but the crankcase is safe from water if i stall. Best 6 bucks on a mod I ever spent...

The only problem is your little filter is exposed to the elements. Do you remove or cover it each time you wash your bike? So much for convenience. I'll stick with my method.

• steve lemley

Posted February 03, 2006 - 01:32 PM

Its a water proof filter and is tucked behind the neck. How is the tube hanging down below the bottom of the bike stock with no filter on it any better? If you enjoy cleaning up small oil messes so be it. I dont. The fact is that if its mounted high enough, the air filter box not being high enough then the leaking is stopped all together because the oil runs down to tube back into the crankcase instead of out the tube into the airbox needing cleaning. Putting crankcase vapors in your air box isnt the best performance tip either, not to mention the crankcase vapors are full of evaporated oil matter and after time, it will cause an oil lined airbox that is sure to pick up a good amount of extra dust. Im not telling anyone what to do just letting you know this has solved my problems with no clean up or performance drawbacks... :thumbsup:

• CycleWriter

Posted February 03, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Its a water proof filter and is tucked behind the neck. How is the tube hanging down below the bottom of the bike stock with no filter on it any better?

I never said it was. In fact, it's a bad idea, which is why I've changed it.

If you enjoy cleaning up small oil messes so be it. I dont. The fact is that if its mounted high enough, the air filter box not being high enough then the leaking is stopped all together because the oil runs down to tube back into the crankcase instead of out the tube into the airbox needing cleaning.

Steve, the amount of oil coming out of that tube is miniscule.

Putting crankcase vapors in your air box isnt the best performance tip either, not to mention the crankcase vapors are full of evaporated oil matter and after time, it will cause an oil lined airbox that is sure to pick up a good amount of extra dust.

First off, oil does not evaporate under any circumstances. Yes, there is some oil mist present in crankcase vapors, but it is far from harmful for your engine. In fact, on your car all crankcase vapors are rerouted into the intake tract for reburning as there is also some gas vapor present in them (it's mostly for emissions, though). Again, the amount of crankcase vapors that actually make it to the end of the hose is miniscule. And an airbox is going to get dirty and need regular cleaning regardless of whether you route the vent hose to it.

Im not telling anyone what to do just letting you know this has solved my problems with no clean up or performance drawbacks... :thumbsup:

And I'm just saying that the way I recommend doing it works just fine and requires no extra thought or maintenance. Do what works for you. :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted February 03, 2006 - 09:27 PM

Your bike must not spit oil like every other WR Ive ever seen, riden or worked on. It constantly is leaking from the tube. Wait a few years and when your bike is as old as mine you will be moving that tube out of the airbox. If yours isnt like that great you are lucky. My best friends WR spit a 1/4 cup an hour approx. We did my mod to it and not a drop since. I didnt ask you to change the way you did yours, just suggesting a cleaner way of doing the same thing. You cant argue that its not cleaner. Theres absolutly no mess at all. You can justify a dirty air box all you want but at the end of the day you still have a dirtier air box than me. As for the oil vapors, emmisions are designed to cause recirculating gas vapors to be used again so that they are not sent into the air. Sending anything else than fresh air into an airbox is robbing the cumbustion chamber of exactly what it needs. As much pure air to cause the best combustion possible in any high performance engine so it is causing performance loss. At a degree of probley next to nothing but I m just making a point. In short Im have never asked you to change anything on your bike. For some reason you seem affended that someone else has done something different than you. Im just here for the advice and to give it so hopefully someone can read this, know the drawbacks of both methods and choose their own route. Cheers :p !!! :lol: :eek: :thumbsup: :bonk: :thumbsup: :bonk: :eek:

• CycleWriter

Posted February 03, 2006 - 10:35 PM

Your bike must not spit oil like every other WR Ive ever seen, riden or worked on. It constantly is leaking from the tube. Wait a few years and when your bike is as old as mine you will be moving that tube out of the airbox. If yours isnt like that great you are lucky. My best friends WR spit a 1/4 cup an hour approx.

Steve, calm down, buddy. No, mine does not spit oil. I've checked. I've done the same mod on my brother's YZ250F and also no problems. If your buddy's bike is spitting a 1/4 cup an hour, he has a problem that needs attention. The way the vent works is that the only time a full inhale/exhale occurs is during starting. With the engine running it a short pulse in/out, not long enough to do much of anything. That's why you can ride the stock bike through water without a problem. If it dies and you try to restart it with the end of the hose submerged, then you'll have a problem.

We did my mod to it and not a drop since.

That's because any oil that collects in the hose will drain straight back into the valve cover the way you have it routed straight up. My only concern is with the exposed filter, but if you like it that way, hey, who am I to say anything?

I didnt ask you to change the way you did yours, just suggesting a cleaner way of doing the same thing. You cant argue that its not cleaner. Theres absolutly no mess at all. You can justify a dirty air box all you want but at the end of the day you still have a dirtier air box than me.

I argue that it's unnecessary as the concerns you expressed for a dirtier airbox and massive oil spew are unfounded. Lots of people have been doing it the way I recommend for years and yours is the first complaint I've seen about it being messy. In any case, I simply recommended against putting the hose at the bottom of the airbox for very good reason.

As for the oil vapors, emmisions are designed to cause recirculating gas vapors to be used again so that they are not sent into the air. Sending anything else than fresh air into an airbox is robbing the cumbustion chamber of exactly what it needs. As much pure air to cause the best combustion possible in any high performance engine so it is causing performance loss. At a degree of probley next to nothing but I m just making a point.

I understand, but again, the amount of crankcase vapors that actually make it to the end of the hose is miniscule. This is a suck/blow venting system and the pulse has little opportunity to go completely both ways on a running engine. Also, the factory hose has a loop at the top exiting the valve cover that helps prevent any oil mist from collecting in the hose and dripping down it.

In short Im have never asked you to change anything on your bike. For some reason you seem affended that someone else has done something different than you.

Offended? Not in the least. I just think you made way more out of this than it needed.

Im just here for the advice and to give it so hopefully someone can read this, know the drawbacks of both methods and choose their own route.

Same here. Enjoy. :thumbsup:

• steve lemley

Posted February 04, 2006 - 07:09 AM

Seemed like you were offended and I was just trying to prove my point and not get you upset. If you arent, good. Different strokes right :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :bonk:

• AMG_Eric

Posted September 18, 2006 - 10:45 PM

ok ive spent the last 2 hours reading threds all about the 450 2003. i am looking to buy one.

well the above link doesnt work. it goes to some retarded rambling.

Welcome to the good life of Carl and Emma. Carl, a retired Navy Chief Petty Officer, drives a huge four-wheel drive Suburban all over the country to explore off-roading areas. The Suburban, nick-named The Whale, is loaded to the max with every goody known to man. Emma, a very patient lady, tries to keep the short-fused Carl out of as much trouble as possible.

every link to it on that site is also a broken with no info. i really like the articles that website has but i really want to read the above article referenced. anyone know where it might be reprinted?

• byggd

Posted September 19, 2006 - 03:56 AM

Very strange. I'm not sure what's up with that link :thumbsup: Give this one a try. It's for the 250 but most of the info applies to the 450 as well.
http://www.thumperfa...m/free_mods.htm
Also, here is mod you will want to do if you buy the 03.
http://www.wr450.com...inals/index.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.