Dirt Bike review

9 replies to this topic
  • Beanb1

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:19 AM

Were you guys happy with Dirt Bike review? They rated the YZ450F second behind the Honda. They have had six months to mess with the Honda and one for the YZ. Claimed they choose the Honda because it has the stronger motor. Hmmm, might have been they didn't jet the YZ correctly?? Still had the 42 pilot jet and over compensated rich jetting by dropping the main jet to a 165!! Wonder what they would have thought if they had jetted the YZ correctly!!!!

My son rides a 05 CRF450 and won't ride my 06YZ450F in wet conditions. He says the YZ is harder to ride because it has too much power.

It is only a review and our seat of the pants review and Burned's graphs say Dirt Bike blew it.

• motox262000

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:23 AM

Maybe they liked the CRF motor because it was strong but didn't hit to hard. :applause:

It doesn't really matter what the mags say, ALL of the bikes are great anymore. And I doubt one bike is going to make you place higher in a race over another. We need to be fighting eviromental whacko's, not each other! :bonk:

• Matty05

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:30 AM

We all know honda is crap and will never own a crf........
People like the CRF, it has been the standard for quite a while now.
I like reading reviews, but they arent worth a pinch of shit unless you ride the bikes yourself. At the end of the day, it is like picking the winner out of a hat.

Dirtbike is a great read, but issues come out here a month or two behind.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:34 AM

That's one of the distinctions between a good bike test and a bad one; whether the bike is tested as is, regardless, or if the testers are willing to tweak the normal, reasonable things to try and fix the little problems, or just snivel about them.

One mag changes gearing to suit each track they test at, but another complains that "second was too low for the hill, but it wouldn't quite pull third". You know the deal.

• Matty05

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:44 AM

True, but once you start playing with shit, it aint a stock bike anymore.
I have always said that they are very lazy. Especially on the enduro bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xtreme165

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Were you guys happy with Dirt Bike review? They rated the YZ450F second behind the Honda. They have had six months to mess with the Honda and one for the YZ. Claimed they choose the Honda because it has the stronger motor. Hmmm, might have been they didn't jet the YZ correctly?? Still had the 42 pilot jet and over compensated rich jetting by dropping the main jet to a 165!! Wonder what they would have thought if they had jetted the YZ correctly!!!!

My son rides a 05 CRF450 and won't ride my 06YZ450F in wet conditions. He says the YZ is harder to ride because it has too much power.

It is only a review and our seat of the pants review and Burned's graphs say Dirt Bike blew it.

The Yzf comes stock with a 165 main in it?? Everyone is going to a 48 pilot and 170 main.

• ridesblue

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:49 AM

my feeling is that once a bike like a honda becomes the standard it takes a year or so to knock it off the top because that is what most people are used to riding, even the testers. if you are comfortable on a bike you are going to like it more.

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:24 AM

my feeling is that once a bike like a honda becomes the standard it takes a year or so to knock it off the top because that is what most people are used to riding, even the testers. if you are comfortable on a bike you are going to like it more.

Thats a great point.

I've read reviews where the crf has a "nervous" front end to it.

How can you go fast with a front end thats bouncing around. Its not exactly inspiring confidence.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:33 AM

True, but once you start playing with shit, it aint a stock bike anymore.

There's a sharp difference between adding or substituting aftermarket parts and simply making adjustments in a way that any real world user would do in order to evaluate a motorcycle.

If you are simply going to take them as they are issued, change nothing, and base the evaluation of the whole bike on that because you think your readership is limited to those who will never change anything about the bike, then fine. But if that's the case, it would be unprofessional to pretend to be anything but a publication geared toward casual weekend riders.

But no one who races MX or offroad, or rides with any passion for it uses the bike just as issued. Tires, gearing and jetting are changed to suit the locale the same way you change clothes to suit the weather, and changing any of those things, along with adjusting the suspension, is tuning, not modification, and does not change the bike's status from being stock. A magazine test staff that purports to be geared toward the more competitive or serious rider should test at multiple venues, and try the usual things to improve the bike's performance within the limits of an "adjusted stock" bike, just as you probably would if you owned it. That way, they can report on how the stock bike performed in a particular situation when it was set up optimally. Certainly, you wouldn't think it professional to pick up a bike at a shop near sea level and haul it to ride at 6000 feet and then rag on the thing for running rich, would you?

If someone thinks the right approach is to leave their test bikes strictly as they come, and then turns around and complains about the jetting or gearing being wrong for the single geographic location, time, and weather that they tested the bike in, then they should at least be professional enough to call the magazine "Playbike Rider", or "Trans-World Poser", or something like that.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:35 AM

Advertising dollars boys.

There's absolutely no impartiality at all.

They could pick a Sky Tornado as the shootout winner if enough Benjamis were thrown at it.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.