WR450 Lowering Suspension Suggestions

19 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted January 12, 2006 - 06:57 AM

I am considering lowering my 03 WR450 by having the suspension modified. I called one of the companies who wanted around $700USD for forks and shock to lower 1.5 inches. OUCH :applause: I do mostly tight trail riding. No tracks.
Have any of you guys had your bikes lowered by suspension mods? If so, how much, and were you happy with the results?
Any advice would be great!

• Matty05

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:03 AM

Got the 250 lowered 55mm front and back for the missus.
This is about the most you can go and still have the suspension work properly.
$700??? all they do is machine up some spacers.
It cost me $90 Australian which is like $60 US.

Get your suspension revalved too, it makes the biggest difference.

• 299RACER

Posted January 12, 2006 - 02:01 PM

I had my 450 lowered by about 40mm and it made a HUGE difference. spacer on the shock and reactive springs on the fork. at the same time i had it revalved aswell cost me about $350 AU

• MTRSPORTDAN

Posted January 12, 2006 - 04:04 PM

There is another thread here in the wr posts of a guy that is trying to raise his bike to stock height. Maybe you guys can work something out. He's in California also. I think the thread was "need suspension set up help".

• jerryls

Posted January 12, 2006 - 04:07 PM

There's a review of some sort of lowering link in the Product Review forum. I think it was positive. Was around $100.

Jerry

• Matty05

Posted January 12, 2006 - 05:10 PM

There's a review of some sort of lowering link in the Product Review forum. I think it was positive. Was around $100.

Jerry

they change the geometry of how your shock works.
Spacers way cheaper (do it yourself) and suspension still works as intended.

• ETP

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Sounds like spacers are the way to go. I don't like the idea of changing the geometry with the lowering link, but would like to try it if someone had a used one for a reasonable price.
Can anyone recommend a US company to do the suspension mod work?

• byggd

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:57 AM

Here is an option. Not cheap at $250 tho :applause:
http://www.mountainm...oweringlink.php

• Joe_P

Posted January 14, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I had Factor Connection lower my '03 WR450 an inch and rework the entire valving/springs at the same time (unfortunately I'm short and fat). If I remember correctly, it cost around $800. I did it because I switched from riding open desert to tight trails and I needed to be able to dab. It was a lot of money, but I think in the end it was worth it.

• drewpeacock

Posted January 14, 2006 - 02:47 PM

they change the geometry of how your shock works.
Spacers way cheaper (do it yourself) and suspension still works as intended.

I understand (and respect) what you are saying about the lowering link changing the geometry but to the average joe shmoe woods rider you will probably never be able to tell its there by the way it rides.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CAVSCOUT96

Posted January 14, 2006 - 04:09 PM

Call dave Lampmann in Austin, Texas He set me up for under 500 including shock rebuild, new spring, fork rebuild and lowering the suspension 1.5"

Full Circle Cycle

• Matty05

Posted January 14, 2006 - 04:56 PM

I understand (and respect) what you are saying about the lowering link changing the geometry but to the average joe shmoe woods rider you will probably never be able to tell its there by the way it rides.

Why get a way more expensive link when you can lower it properly for cheaper? :applause: The spacers lower the front and back equally, what is the point of lowering just the back? You can't push the fork tubes up in the triple clamps 2" can you?

• ETP

Posted January 14, 2006 - 08:59 PM

Why get a way more expensive link when you can lower it properly for cheaper? :applause: The spacers lower the front and back equally, what is the point of lowering just the back? You can't push the fork tubes up in the triple clamps 2" can you?

On my 03 theres a scribe mark close to the top of each fork tube. I've been told thats the max "raise" point or the tire will bottom out on the the inside of the fender.

• Matty05

Posted January 15, 2006 - 02:19 AM

On my 03 theres a scribe mark close to the top of each fork tube. I've been told thats the max "raise" point or the tire will bottom out on the the inside of the fender.

never heard that one before..........

• 642MX

Posted January 15, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Here is a link where me and Matty05 had a discussion concerning the lowering link. click me I'm not going to argue about the lowering link again, but it does work on my fiancees 250F really well.

• PfM

Posted January 15, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Got the 250 lowered 55mm front and back for the missus.
This is about the most you can go and still have the suspension work properly.
$700??? all they do is machine up some spacers.
It cost me $90 Australian which is like $60 US.

Get your suspension revalved too, it makes the biggest difference.

Any chance of some more detail ?
Where do they go ?
Is it a do it yourself ?
If not, who did yours ?

Cheers

• Matty05

Posted January 16, 2006 - 03:05 AM

Any chance of some more detail ?
Where do they go ?
Is it a do it yourself ?
If not, who did yours ?

Cheers

I got mine done professionally, because I got my suspension revalved (already had heavier springs) and the missus suspension revalved with lighter springs.

You can make your own spacers up I suppose, use washers or something.
About a 15mm spacer for the shock should lower the back 2", and just make spacers up for the front how much you want to lower it by. You might have to cut the top out springs, but if you cut springs, their rate goes up.

This is how they set up supermoto bikes.

Here, racetech charge $80 for it:
http://www.racetech....news-040325.htm

• byggd

Posted January 16, 2006 - 08:18 AM

There should be at least 2 scribed lines at the top of the forks, each one equal to 5mm. I have my 426 set on the second line, or 10mm up. It makes it handle better in tight stuff but my cause it be less stable at higher speeds. My scotts takes care of that :applause:

• billygoat

Posted January 16, 2006 - 07:17 PM

I would say that if the lowering service includes a revalve and springs, then it's a fair market price($700). If it's local, it's worth it because if there's a problem you can show them. I had a Husaberg that I lowered and it was great(sold that money pit). I would recommend actually shortening the shock, not doing the linkage. I've done both and thought the shortened shock/forks worked better.

• CAVSCOUT96

Posted January 17, 2006 - 05:38 AM

I mentioned Dave in Austin in an earlier post. He's Race Tech certified and does the complete shock and fork rebuild when he lowers a bike. Mine was <$500. Check out his website and give him a call. even if you don't want to send him your stuff. I'm sure he can at least give you some ideas of what works best and what doesn't. Tell him some of proposed soulutions, and he can give you the pros and cons of each.

Good luck

Bill

click here:
Full Circle Cycle

if you check out his homepage you'll see he's also a racer not just a suspension tuner (Harescrambles in South and Central TX)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.