Heli-coils

14 replies to this topic
  • Dustin_Mabro

Posted January 12, 2006 - 06:48 AM

so i'm having trouble installing a heli-coil. It's drilled, tapped but the heli-coil doesn't want to go in. When we finally got one to go in the bolt didn't want to go in...just pop the first thread out and not proceed.

here's some background http://www.thumperta...34&parentpage=7
i decided from the input here to try it myself and it fought me every step of the way but it's almost done....

any suggestions?

thanks

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:48 AM

At this point, I'm going to have to recommend you get a pro to take a look at the situation.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted January 12, 2006 - 09:20 AM

At this point, I'm going to have to recommend you get a pro to take a look at the situation.

well shit

• biznet1

Posted January 12, 2006 - 10:41 AM

so i'm having trouble installing a heli-coil. It's drilled, tapped but the heli-coil doesn't want to go in. When we finally got one to go in the bolt didn't want to go in...just pop the first thread out and not proceed.

here's some background http://www.thumperta...34&parentpage=7
i decided from the input here to try it myself and it fought me every step of the way but it's almost done....

any suggestions?

thanks

It should go in easy. Are you sure you used the correct drill and tap size?

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted January 12, 2006 - 10:44 AM

It should go in easy. Are you sure you used the correct drill and tap size?

absolutely sure, the tap came with the heli-coil set, and it had the drill size on the package.

it drilled ok, tapped good, but it took six coils to get one to go in

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2006 - 10:45 AM

The trouble is that there are a number of things that could have gone wrong, and the situation needs to be looked at physically to determine how to correct it with a minimum of complication. To proceed blindly from here carries the risk of making the thing into a real mess, but if handled correctly, might also be just a very minor problem.

That's what I'm saying.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted January 12, 2006 - 10:49 AM

The trouble is that there are a number of things that could have gone wrong, and the situation needs to be looked at physically to determine how to correct it with a minimum of complication. To proceed blindly from here carries the risk of making the thing into a real mess, but if handled correctly, might also be just a very minor problem.

That's what I'm saying.

yah, we've looked in there for burrs, chased it (with just fingers) with a tap, vaccumed it, magneted it, q-tipped it, done a ton of stuff...will try again tonight...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ronin 26

Posted January 12, 2006 - 11:34 AM

does your heli coil kit have a pre winder that your not using?

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted January 12, 2006 - 11:39 AM

does your heli coil kit have a pre winder that your not using?

pre winder.....it came with a tap, and a tool to put them coils in.....and about 15 coils

• TeamScream

Posted January 12, 2006 - 12:14 PM

Seems like if the first coil came out when you tried to install the bolt that the helicoil is not far enough into the tapped out hole?
The last coil to go in (the first coil you start the bolt into) needs to be fully seated into one of the threads you cut with the tap.
The other possibility is that you did not run the tap fully into the hole and were still partially into the tapered part of the tap when you backed the tap back out? Which will then not let the helicoil go all the way into the hole.
You need to run the tap all the way into the hole to get the proper thread size cut, and you also need to be able to get into the hole after the helicoil is installed to break off the little tab on the coil that is used to drive the helicoil into the threaded hole (dont let it fall into the hole).
Thats all I can think of.

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2006 - 12:17 PM

Pre-winders are usually only included or needed with thread sizes smaller than 8mm, and that's not what he has here. Getting the coil to pick up the first thread and wind in without jumping out of one thread and over to the second one down can be tricky. The coil drive tang needs to be removed, too.

This particular application really would be better repaired with a Time-Sert. It may not be too late to do that.

• TeamScream

Posted January 12, 2006 - 12:21 PM

Pre-winders are usually only included or needed with thread sizes smaller than 8mm, and that's not what he has here. Getting the coil to pick up the first thread and wind in without jumping out of one thread and over to the second one down can be tricky. The coil drive tang needs to be removed, too.

This particular application really would be better repaired with a Time-Sert. It may not be too late to do that.

I agree, but the tool to install a timesert costs about $800.00, I think they are pneumatic?
I could be wrong.

• TimFurryBalls

Posted January 12, 2006 - 01:44 PM

That $800 "tool" is just your drill or hand. . .

• jrcgaf364

Posted January 12, 2006 - 03:05 PM

did u drill and tap it straight?

• grayracer513

Posted January 12, 2006 - 03:09 PM

I agree, but the tool to install a timesert costs about $800.00, I think they are pneumatic?
I could be wrong.

Take another look: http://www.timesert....l/mtrcsert.html

Your drill and tap handle are all you need.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.