looking to buy wr450f or crf450x

13 replies to this topic
  • xrfunguy

Posted January 11, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hi guys I am new to this forum but one of the guys I work and ride with tells me you guys know your stuff. I am a honda guy currently own a 2001 xr400 with too many mods to list. I am really happy with the bike but it is time for something new. So I am kind of stuck here I cannot decide between a wr or crf I know the crf has serious valve issues and that is kind of waying on my decision I don't like the fact of spending 7k on a crf to have serious maintenance issues with it. But on the other hand I have never ridden a yamaha at all. Any help on this would be great. Thanks :applause:

• old man dan

Posted January 11, 2006 - 12:53 PM

I've had three XR's, too many CR's to list and had always been a Honda guy until it came time to buy an new 4 stroke. My 05 Wr450 has had perfect reliabilty, never even changed the plug yet. oil changes every 200 miles or so, 1 valve check after break in (no adjustment required). It's got more power than most normal riders will ever need with just the "free mods" and a rejet. The overall quality of the parts and hardware is almost as good as a Honda but with no valve issues to worry about.

• Punisher660

Posted January 11, 2006 - 01:04 PM

great bikes. both of them. Get a CRF450X - makes it easier to get past you on the trail :applause:

• RC81

Posted January 11, 2006 - 11:45 PM

Either bike will make you happy. I went blue due to perceived maintenance and first year issues. Not sure what the CRFs weakness (if any ) are. Go read in the Honda forum, it may help you out.

• WR TOM

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:04 AM

Pick up the Feb. issue of DB & read about the 06 TE Husky. Way more bike for your money & you can go down to your local DMV & put a license on it , no questions asked!! All three are great bikes, but the Husky gives you a lot more!

• Matty05

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:17 AM

Pick up the Feb. issue of DB & read about the 06 TE Husky. Way more bike for your money & you can go down to your local DMV & put a license on it , no questions asked!! All three are great bikes, but the Husky gives you a lot more!

Not half as good as both Yamaha and Honda. Parts are expensive too, they are not that reliable. After riding most of the bikes, the KTM450exc seems to be the benchmark.

• WR TOM

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Don't know what the parts situation is in Australia, but in the states is not a problem. Comparable prices & available. Try & get a top end, or other parts from Honda for a CRX & see how long you wait. Don't know if our man from Australia has ridden them all, but I have, & have owned a 05 Yam WR 450, & now own 06 TE Husky. Very reliable & runs & handles perfect with almost no modification right from the dealer floor!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • posner

Posted January 12, 2006 - 09:40 AM

I just added an 06 WR 450 to my arsenal and love it more than any other bike I have owned. I have an 05 KTM 525, 03 YZ 450F, 06 CRF 250X, and an 04 CRF 450. I just helped a good friend get a bike and he ended up with the 450X. Off the showroom floor it was a rocket and handled pretty well. It feels bulkier and heavier than my WR, and now that I hav done all the free mods, added a damper, a pro ti yosh exhaust, and JD jet kit, my WR is the baddest bike in town. You will need to spend some time making the WR perform, but once you get it dialed in, there is nothing like it!

Posner

• dbailey223

Posted January 12, 2006 - 01:03 PM

Have you tried Husky, posner? My 01 TE 570 is in a whole different league in terms of available power than my 03 WR 450. The WR is easier to throw around tight trails, but the HUsky had tons more power and is much more stable.

• posner

Posted January 12, 2006 - 01:58 PM

The only Husky I have ridden was an 05 450 supermoto conversion. I think it was a TC 450 if I am not mistaken. I rode it at the race track about 2 months ago and loved it. One of my track riding buddies picked one up to do super motos with and insisted I ride it. It really had some grunt and was a blast to ride...easy to ride fast I might add as well! I have not, however, had a chance to ride a Husky off road. I will add, that the Husky did feel pretty "husky" scooting around the race track. It seemed well made, and the transmission was superb.

Posner

• pkcof

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:58 AM

Well, in my humble opinion - the Husky ('04 TE450 - just sold and missed already) is a race bike first and foremost but is suited to enduro's and trail riding alike. I have now had my '05 WR450F(T) for 4 months and have clocked up over 1,500 trouble free klms. My Yamaha is more like the opposite of the Husky though. It's more of a Trail/Enduro bike first that can be (relatively) easily and inexpensively transformed into a race bike. The Yamaha is (hope i don't offend you blue boys) a more sedate ride and as such can be ridden for much longer periods without having to be 110% fit. Huskys like to be ridden hard and fast and this is where they shine - the downside of this is that they wear you out faster than some other bikes. The 2 year parts and labor deal on the Huskys is great for peace of mind and the dealer back-up in Australia is exemplary. Lets face it, bike choice these days is really a personal preference as most of the current crop of 450's is within a coin's toss of each other in specifications and performance anyway - pick one that you like and want, then go out and ride it !!

• LTK300

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:07 PM

Watch out for the valve issues on th CRFs.

• twenty34

Posted January 13, 2006 - 07:03 PM

http://www.motorcycl...?ArticleID=2102

Hi guys I am new to this forum but one of the guys I work and ride with tells me you guys know your stuff. I am a honda guy currently own a 2001 xr400 with too many mods to list. I am really happy with the bike but it is time for something new. So I am kind of stuck here I cannot decide between a wr or crf I know the crf has serious valve issues and that is kind of waying on my decision I don't like the fact of spending 7k on a crf to have serious maintenance issues with it. But on the other hand I have never ridden a yamaha at all. Any help on this would be great. Thanks :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 14, 2006 - 11:15 AM

Personally, if I were forced to buy another brand of bike other than a Yamaha I would be riding a KTM. KTM gives you all you want and nothing you don't want. The people at KTM get it. KTMs are great now and they only get better every year. The only problem is they offer so many different models it's hard to pick one. Still, in my own opinion I feel that the Yamaha has the better motor and suspension than the KTM. I love the planted feel of the WR front end, in the rear the shock is very nice and progressive throughout the stroke, and the 5 valve just seems to build crazy power when pushed hard.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.