Clutch Suggestions

3 replies to this topic
  • tsmerian

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:54 AM

Figured that I would start here... Couldn't find anything when searching. I'm new, so go easy on me...

My 98 WR400 has a clutch issue. I feel that it is adjusted properly and change the oil after about every 200 miles or so of trail riding, which is pretty much all that I do. The problem is that when I pull the lever in, the clutch does not engage fully - meaning the rear tire is locked up. The bike seems to shift gears fine, but it never feels to be in "neutral." It gets better after I ride for a few minutes (as I am guessing everything is warming/lubing up), but it does not take long for it to begin behaving the same way again, like 30 minutes. If I am not revving the engine when dropping it into first right after I start the bike, it will stall...

Anyone else have problems like this? The bike is no spring chicken, so it wouldn't hurt to replace the clutch. Problem is, I thought that a worn out clutch slips, not sticks. My local mechanic said that the early WR/YZs had a reputation for the baskets/hubs warping, wearing, etc. Is he accurate?

As with anything, the only way to know for sure is to disassemble and examine, which I plan on doing this weekend. Just thought I would get some feedback here first. I will let you know hat I find.

• Derik Tate

Posted January 11, 2006 - 03:00 PM

I fyour going to go to the trouble to open that bad boy up you might as well install a Rekluse clutch. I put one on my WR 426 and it solved a few of my little problems. $425.00 :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matty05

Posted January 11, 2006 - 03:16 PM

Previous owner might have thrown in an extra plate. Common thing to do on 2 smokes.
Inspection is the only way to tell, it is easy to do yourself.

• tsmerian

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:16 AM

What's the benefit of installing another plate? Less slippage? Or is it a jury-rig to cheaply fix a worn-out clutch?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.