Stuck between a rock and a hard place with a bald tire!

20 replies to this topic
  • steve lemley

Posted January 11, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Its time to change my rear tire before a huge 3 day ride on the 21st. I had posted a tread regarding the Teri-flex and the Maxxis IT tire. So I decided to go with the Maxxis IT from all the suggestions (thanks). I took my gift certificate I got for Christmas to my local shop and wouldnt you know it, their out of every tire for my bike. They said they cant order the tera-flex and they wouldnt be able to get the Maxxis for 3 weeks. The parts guy said to go with the Michelin Desert intermed.-hard tire and offered it to me for $75.00. Has anyone ran this tire and if so does it last and hows the grip. My WR400 is street legal and I do ride probley 10% on the street but don't care about the DOT part. Although I would like to run another tire, it seems I might be stuck with this one for a while. Can I have anyones thaughts please...

• Koko Azuela

Posted January 11, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Where are you planning to ride with the tire? for the 3 day trip i mean..
The micheling works good, another tire consider is the Dunlop Desert 739AT, it wears a little faster but has good grip and strong sidewalls if you get a flat it will hold up good...

• steve lemley

Posted January 11, 2006 - 10:29 AM

I will be riding desert. Most of my riding is desert and trails.

• Koko Azuela

Posted January 11, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Try the Dunlop if you can't get the maxxis, teraflex, like i said, it will wear faster but has plenty of grip!! :applause:

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 11, 2006 - 10:40 AM

I ordered a set of Maxxis IT from Rocky mountainATV and got them inside of 3 days with regular shipping.

Damn, I didn't realize they were so cheap. I got both of em for less than 80 bones. :applause:

• steve lemley

Posted January 11, 2006 - 01:36 PM

My delema is that I have a gift cert. for the local place and need to use it for the tires!

• 642MX

Posted January 11, 2006 - 05:00 PM

My delema is that I have a gift cert. for the local place and need to use it for the tires!

Sounds like your screwed. They have already got the money for the gift certificate so there not too concerned to make the extra effort to order a tire. I would demand a tire and tell them to take care of you or you'll take your business elsewhere.

• xrfunguy

Posted January 11, 2006 - 05:04 PM

Its time to change my rear tire before a huge 3 day ride on the 21st. I had posted a tread regarding the Teri-flex and the Maxxis IT tire. So I decided to go with the Maxxis IT from all the suggestions (thanks). I took my gift certificate I got for Christmas to my local shop and wouldnt you know it, their out of every tire for my bike. They said they cant order the tera-flex and they wouldnt be able to get the Maxxis for 3 weeks. The parts guy said to go with the Michelin Desert intermed.-hard tire and offered it to me for $75.00. Has anyone ran this tire and if so does it last and hows the grip. My WR400 is street legal and I do ride probley 10% on the street but don't care about the DOT part. Although I would like to run another tire, it seems I might be stuck with this one for a while. Can I have anyones thaughts please...

try a dunlop 756 it is a better tire than the 739 and it is great for desert ridding. I switched from a cheng shin and the difference was unbelieveable.

• 642MX

Posted January 11, 2006 - 05:06 PM

try a dunlop 756 it is a better tire than the 739 and it is great for desert ridding. I switched from a cheng shin and the difference was unbelieveable.

I never thought a 756 would hold up very long in a desert. But, I'm sure its better than a Cheng Chin.

• mtrdrms

Posted January 11, 2006 - 05:12 PM

For an 18" rear I like the MT16 or MT18 from Pirelli.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kirkw

Posted January 12, 2006 - 09:57 AM

Hold out for the Maxxis. They hold up very well, have good traction and are worth pushing your shop to get them for you intime. You will not be dissapointed.

• steve lemley

Posted January 12, 2006 - 11:23 AM

I ordered the maxxis IT's today front and rear. Thanks guys...

• kirkw

Posted January 12, 2006 - 11:31 AM

You will not be dissapointed! I have had a It rear for about 3 years, just repalced my rear after 2= years and lots of miles. Could have got several more rides out of it, but I needed a front and, on INDY's recommedation, went with a SI front. Never had new rubber all around that I chose before so put an IT on rear at same time. VERY happy with both!!! :applause:

• steve lemley

Posted January 12, 2006 - 01:14 PM

He had also recommended me usse that front but it was out of stock so I went with the IT. Let me know if you like that front and Ill switch when mine wears out.

• DazTX3

Posted January 13, 2006 - 12:44 AM

...I have had a It rear for about 3 years, just repalced my rear after 2= years and lots of miles. Could have got several more rides out of it...

You've had 1 tyre for how long??

Ive had my MT18 for the best part of 4 weeks and already the knobs are worn down to their base! Ill be going for a Maxxis IT next, ive just put one on the front and I love it.

• steve lemley

Posted January 13, 2006 - 07:55 AM

You can get both at rockymountainmx for $90.00 including shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 642MX

Posted January 13, 2006 - 09:13 AM

You can get both at rockymountainmx for $90.00 including shipping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a good deal. :applause:

• jaggley

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:09 PM

I also ordered Maxxis IT from Rockymountainatv.com and got them in 3 days. 120/100/18

Got a front SM also. :bonk:

I am going to 143 Offroad Park tomorrow, 30 miles west of Nashville. Itrained all day yeasterday and today. It is supposed to get clear tonight and be sunny all day tomorrow. he tires will get a great work out :applause: :cry:

• steve lemley

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Let me know how they hold up after the ride...

• kirkw

Posted January 13, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Steve - I love the SI front! I had a Michelin EnduroCompIII before and this is close to if not the same in very good traction. Bout $20 cheaper though.

Daz - Probably better a better measure than 3 years is about 450 miles of all dirt riding in anything from rocky, desert, loamy to muddy. The IT rear is the best lasting tire I have ever used.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.