03' Steering head bearings

9 replies to this topic
  • AWDnot2

Posted January 11, 2006 - 05:52 AM

I'm having trouble removing the lower bearing on the steering stem.
As of now, the cage that holds the bearings is gone as are the needle bearings. All thats left is the inner race that won't budge. Any suggestions?

• JAVA JOE

Posted January 11, 2006 - 05:54 AM

If you are talking about the bearings in the lower triple clamp....they need to be pressed out by a shop.

• AWDnot2

Posted January 11, 2006 - 06:25 AM

Figures! Thanks for the info.

• RCannon

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:04 AM

You can cut the inner race with a dremel tool. The cut-off wheel works just fine. Use a section of pvc pipe to press the new bearing on.

• 642MX

Posted January 11, 2006 - 11:26 AM

I had my old race removed and the new bearing installed for $18 at a local machine shop.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted January 11, 2006 - 11:38 AM

A long puch will get the races out top and bottonm. The lower bearing is pressed on with a press. Always change out the entire set - be careful not to overtighten the spanner nut - this is critical to bearing life.... :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2006 - 02:04 PM

If you have access to a welding torch, and are somewhat comptent with its use, here's another approach:

Set up a block of wood, hardwood is best, on a sturdy bench, or better, a concrete floor. Position a lit welding torch with a fairly large tip on it directly on the center of the bearing raceway as if you wanted to run a weld there and heat it quickly until the red spot is the width of the race. Then shut of the torch, or hand it to a helper, grab the clamp and rap the top of the stem solidly on the wood block. The race should drop off, but if it's a little stubborn you should be able to get it free by wedging a chisel point under it carefully. If you concentrate the heat only on the race, the clamp and stem will not absorb a significant amount of heat to cause any problems, but the process of hetaing the race to bright red not only expands it, it destroys the temper and relaxes the press fit to the point it's almost gone.

You will then need a piece of tubing as long as the stem, with large enough ID to slide all the way down its length, but a small enough OD that it does not contact the roller cage to push the bearing on with. Keep the lower clamp/stem in the freezer for an hour before driving it on.

It really is simpler with a press, though. :applause:

• AWDnot2

Posted January 13, 2006 - 06:06 AM

OK, I have the old bearing cups removed and the bearing off the stem.
I bought an All Balls bearing kit. It came with a bottom dust cover / seal which the bike never had when I took it apart nor does it show one in the exploded view of the service manual.

• grayracer513

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:56 AM

If it didn't have a lower seal, the previous owner either replaced the head bearings with generics, or ruined the original, because the OEM lower bearing had a seal built onto it.

• AWDnot2

Posted January 16, 2006 - 06:19 AM

well, I finished it up this weekend along w/ a new chain and sprockets. I'm ready to roll! Now, if only it weren't 29deg outside.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.