Is the 2006 yz450 that good?

20 replies to this topic
  • ksrrider

Posted January 10, 2006 - 09:50 PM

How much better is the 06 yz450 compared to my 04 yz450? Describe the power delivery and handling. Is it as smooth as they say? Is it more Honda like?
Looking for some honest answers without embellishment.
Thanks in advance.

• bud

Posted January 11, 2006 - 04:57 AM

well i have owned and raced every year yz250f since 01, and the 04-05 yz450f, also a yz250, a kx250 a 04crf250r, 05crf450r, and just traded a 3 month old 06crf450r on the 06yz450f after i rode one. to me there is no other bike i will have now, it is that good. i dont know what the magazines are saying, but this bike is perfectly balanced, light feeling, and stable, and turns with perfection. i am 5-10 170lbs, have the suspension set basically stock, just a few clicks here and there-sag set, and it is perfect. i was a 4 speed fanatic but now i love this 5 speed. i am running the stock gearing too. i only ride and race mx though. i will never stray from blue again. i ride and race on a budget and the reliability of the yamaha is no question compared to the other bikes i have owned-it is the old xr of motocross bikes. the motor is almost perfect, i say almost because it is lean from the factory. i am going to jet for sea level. but it still ran awesome, i love the balls it has, if i had to compare it to the honda i would say the honda is like an old big block muscle car, and the yamaha is like a new dodge viper or z06 corvette. the yamaha pulls hard but smooth, i love the mid and upper screaming capabilities it has-and it is good down low too. the only changes needed to the yamaha is a new front tire-for the track conditions, jetting-for your elevation, a good chain-stock one is junk, and go ride or race for a year or two with only normal maintenance-no valve or cam chain adjustment BS.

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2006 - 07:57 AM

It's interesting that there's a perceived difference in the power delivery between the two bikes given the results that burned got from running two stockers on the pump:

had a local TT member bring his 06 yzf by the am for some dyno time.

i can sya one thing for sure,the stock yzf jetting will be super lean at sea level.this bike ended up with a 48 pilot jet a 162 main here at 5500 ft.it will be able to stand a 158 in the summer.

at sea level you will need a 48 pilot and 170-172 main jet.

heres the graphs.yamaha got their act together on the motor for sure.

red = yzf
blue = crf

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Mike_socal

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Jetting changes doesn't seem stock to me. Maybe his perceived difference will change once he jets it for sea level like he said.

It's interesting that there's a perceived difference in the power delivery between the two bikes given the results that burned got from running two stockers on the pump:

• Private B

Posted January 11, 2006 - 10:56 AM

Yes the bike is that good. I am coming of an 05 KX 250 and rode CR 250's in o3 and 04 and also had a 03 CRF 450. The motor is just super smooth and will rev.Ergonomics are perfect imo for a 5'10 rider also. Change out the front tire as stated, raise the fork tubes 5-8 mm in tripple clamps, jet it, set sag and ride it. It will help you to be a smoother rider.

• Reyndogg

Posted January 11, 2006 - 12:40 PM

Jetting changes doesn't seem stock to me. Maybe his perceived difference will change once he jets it for sea level like he said.

They come with more than one jet and a needle adjust tool. Jetting is setup, not mod IMO :applause:

• Private B

Posted January 11, 2006 - 12:56 PM

Can you say "hi jacked"? All he asked for was some responses from people who have the bike or ridden the bike.

• mtrdrms

Posted January 11, 2006 - 03:53 PM

Can you say "hi jacked"? All he asked for was some responses from people who have the bike or ridden the bike.

So they come with extra jets and a needle adjusting tool, thats cool! :applause:

• Mike_socal

Posted January 11, 2006 - 04:42 PM

Strange Yamaha would throw in lean jets and include the correct 48 and 170 jets for you to install. I wonder if the above test was run on the dyno to determine the correct a/f ratio. Maybe they include a free a/f dyno run too?

• grayracer513

Posted January 11, 2006 - 04:50 PM

Do you have one? Feel free to relate your experiences in spite of the side conversation, so you can keep the thread on track, OK?

Apart from the fact the bike ships with alternative jets, which the owner is expected to use to adjust the bike to its environment, both bikes tested were jetted optimally prior to testing.

If you have any other questions on his procedures, you should ask the man:

http://www.thumperta...poster&t=326118

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Private B

Posted January 12, 2006 - 06:51 AM

Do you have one? Feel free to relate your experiences in spite of the side conversation, so you can keep the thread on track, OK?
Apart from the fact the bike ships with alternative jets, which the owner is expected to use to adjust the bike to its environment, both bikes tested were jetted optimally prior to testing.

If you have any other questions on his procedures, you should ask the man:

http://www.thumperta...poster&t=326118

Sure do and already did. Read the previous posts.

• RAMARION

Posted January 12, 2006 - 04:18 PM

you must ride one yourself................

but I'll answer your question

YES............. :applause:

• aford541

Posted January 12, 2006 - 11:36 PM

I had a 02, 03, 04, 05 and just got an 06 yzf 450, today I took my 05 and 06 to the track, wow what a difference. My 05 is extensively modified the head and carburetor have been done it has power nows and a carbon pro and I run ELF lms fuel and has enzo suspension it rips and I thought it was the king of the hill till today.
I rode at gorman and did a 30 min moto on it then came back in and let a friend ride it while I followed him, the 05 felt like crap, the motor felt flat and un tractable.
I liked the motor best of all, another Yamaha trait, of course I installed the 48 Pilot and the 170 main jet. the motor still had a slight off idle bog that I think can be fixed by wiring the accelerator pump and raising the needle one or two. Second I liked the fact that there was no vibration and how much confidence I felt on the bike, I litterally set the sag and rode, but the problem is im a 240 pound Vet intermediate, I run a 6.0 rear spring and 4.8 fronts in the 05. I was impressed by how great the suspension was, I have had enzo do the suspension on all my bikes and I am considering just adding the correct springs and letting her ride.
the bike is super good.

• DGIRT

Posted January 13, 2006 - 03:50 AM

I have an 06 450. I came a 2001 SX 250. Rode a buddy's 06 KX 250F. Took a 20 min . spin on a 05 YZ250 2st. There is no comparing these other bikes to the YZF. I weight 240# and I'm 6'1". I had to back out the compression out a couple of clicks. No vibration at all, handles and sticks to the ground like glue.

• gholt651

Posted January 13, 2006 - 05:46 AM

I got my 06 3 weeks ago.I love it.Altough I have to get used to using 4 stroke power coming from a yz 250 2 stroke. I have ridden an 02 crf 450,04 crf 450,and an 04 yzf 450.(not mine)I must say this bike is much much better than those(MUCH BETTER).It is easy to ride,easy to start,easy to jump,and really looks good.I'm glad I got it instead of the 250 2 stroke. :bonk: :applause: :cry:

• howard27

Posted January 14, 2006 - 02:30 PM

IM ON MY 12TH RIDE ON MY YZ450F 2006 :cry: . ON MY THIRD RIDE I WENT TO A FRIENDS TRACK WHERE EVERYONE IS WEARING RED AND PLENTY OF BIASED OPINIONS AND ATTITUDE :cry: MAYBE THIS WOULD BE FROWNED BY SOME :bonk: BUT I LET THOSE RED BASTARDS RIDE MY NEW BLUE. THIS IS WHAT I HEARD ."OH MY GOD", "IT WILL GO ANYWHERE YOU POINT IT"."EVERY THING ON IT IS PERFECT", "I'LL BE GOD DAMMED IF I'M GOING TO SELL YOUR NEW O5 CRF450 AND BY A YAMAHA!!! :cry: " ITS SUPER LITE", "MY BIKE NOW FEALS UNSTABLE", "IF YOU DO CHANGE YOU WILL NEED ALL NEW GEAR","THE SUSPENSION FEELS LIKE MARSHMELLOWS"," THERE'S NO COMPARISON". THE LIST GOES ON . THE OTHER THING I WOULD LIKE TO MENTION IS THE MXA WRITE UP . THIS WAS GREAT TO BUY A BIKE AND MXA TO PRINT THE RESULTS SO PROUDLY AS #1. IT WAS ALMOST EMBARISING WHEN ASKED ABOUT IT BY THE DUDES AT THE SHOP. MY ANSWER WAS THIS " I DON'T NOW ABOUT THE OTHER NEW BIKES BUT THE SPECIFICS DISCRIBED IN THE MXA ARTICAL ABOUT MY BIKE WERE SPOT ON. :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2006 - 03:18 PM

"IF YOU DO CHANGE YOU WILL NEED ALL NEW GEAR",

They're wrong (unless their stuff says Honda on it).

Red Gear Looks Good on a Blue Bike

• jrcgaf364

Posted January 14, 2006 - 03:23 PM

My gear is red...I dont think it matters.

• grayracer513

Posted January 14, 2006 - 03:26 PM

BTW, Howard, buddy, don't type in all caps, dude.

IT'S THE INTERNET EQUIVALENT OF YELLING AT PEOPLE!!!

Tacky :applause:

• howard27

Posted January 14, 2006 - 06:42 PM

Sorry about the caps . my wife and kids are laughing their asses off :bonk: about getting scolded on the internet. The quote on the red was symbolic and in good fun and it doesn't matter. thanks :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.