timing chain tensioner

4 replies to this topic
  • mixr50082

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Was trying to climb this killer hill on the trails when my bike just died i was in the throttle and running great. mind you I had been riding for about 3 hrs already that day, but after I managed to get that heavy beast off the incline it wouldn't start. felt like I had no compression. I've tryied several things out since then to get the ol girl to fire back up without tearing the motor out again nothing is working. A guy I bumped into had one just a little while back and said if i had the timing chain tensioner with the spring, and guides that it might be worn out and jumped out of time.
i only have a bout ten hours on this fresh build and I know I did not replace that dummy me!!!! It sounds like a good answer. but would like some insight. it did start hard while hot the last few times I was kickin it that day so timing or valve adjustment...ect...??????.....Thanks

• frankstr

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:53 PM

Check for spark,if spark is good,replace spark plug,Run a compression test...It is getting fuel...rite.... :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mixr50082

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:59 PM

yep those were all the first things checked when the bike stopped our group 70 miles from camp!!...lol and then checked several times more back at camp darn thing
valve adj got better compression but still feels funny the timing chain tensioner through honda is 108 dollars also wondering if that is the solution do chain and sproket to getting pricy for a old bike mabey time to goto the dealer!!!...lol

• rg_series

Posted April 04, 2006 - 09:22 PM

I know this is an old post but just FYI you can purchase the tensioner spring separately for about $6.

• pigryder

Posted April 05, 2006 - 10:32 AM

Dude check your timing cause it sounds like it jumped time and if it did you might be looking at some bent valves, maybe

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.