hotcam manual decompression??

7 replies to this topic
  • maddmickey

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:32 PM

Is the manual decompression and the auto two seperate systems? can I still use the manual with a hot cam. I have a hot cam installed with no decomp, I thought it was all one system and couldnt be used. If I can get that leg saving lever back I wont even mind the teardown, its the right time of year anyway. thanks!!

• miguelitro

Posted January 11, 2006 - 09:44 AM

I was under the impression it only did away with the auto decomp, which makes doing the valve adj. a pita...
you should still have manual decomp, actually you should NEED it w/o the auto.
Its funny that in Utah now is the time for a teardown and here in so cal its the riding season!!!
Mike

• oldturtle

Posted January 11, 2006 - 10:04 AM

I was under the impression it only did away with the auto decomp, which makes doing the valve adj. a pita...

I don't understand how lack of auto decompression feature, which is intended to prevent kicking back on starting, can cause problems with adjusting valves. If anything, a small inadvertent clockwise rotation would not engage auto decomp and hold right exhaust valve open. This should only make adjusting valves easier. I have heard that with some performance cams and with motor at TDC on compression stroke all valves may not be fully closed and therefore you cannot use the "T" on flywheel as a guide for proper valve adjustment.

• Koko Azuela

Posted January 11, 2006 - 10:21 AM

If you have a hotcam installed, you lost the manual decomp feature, the hotcam doesn't have the profile or feature for the manual decomp the stock cam has... so don't tear it down..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • miguelitro

Posted January 11, 2006 - 11:27 AM

how about the hrc cam, does it have manual decomp capabilities???

• xrmoto

Posted January 12, 2006 - 04:23 AM

The hot cam or the honda Hrc cam both can be used with the manual decompressor. The Hot cam doe's not have the automatic decompressor fitted or can it be adapted. However the Honda Hrc cam comes complete with the automatic deconpressor on it.

I have fitted the hot cam to my 650r and i find its no different to the old cam with the auto decompressor to start, infact it starts better. It just needs a bit more of a kick. the autodecompressor will take the exhaust valve of its seat during the initial firing kick, which makes it slightly more easy to kick but reduces the compression, and makes it les reluctant to fire.

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 12, 2006 - 05:34 AM

Tell us about how the power is moved around with either the Hot Cam or HRC Cam. I'm assuming these are being installed in stock engines otherwise...

Are you guys using headers? Drilled airbox?

I do alot of street riding in supermoto trim. I've got my gearing pretty tall, 16/44, but the bike still is all low-mid and then it falls on its face. By the way, I'm using stock header and WB E-series which both are known for low/mid performance.

I'm looking to trade a bit of bottom grunt for top end pull. As I understand it, a cam and/or headers will help achieve this correct? Talk to me people!

• HotCams

Posted January 12, 2006 - 06:37 AM

The hot cam or the honda Hrc cam both can be used with the manual decompressor. The Hot cam doe's not have the automatic decompressor fitted or can it be adapted. However the Honda Hrc cam comes complete with the automatic deconpressor on it.

I have fitted the hot cam to my 650r and i find its no different to the old cam with the auto decompressor to start, infact it starts better. It just needs a bit more of a kick. the autodecompressor will take the exhaust valve of its seat during the initial firing kick, which makes it slightly more easy to kick but reduces the compression, and makes it les reluctant to fire.

xrmoto, nailed it. This cam does not use, or have provisions for the auto decompressor, but the manual decompressor can still be used. One of the reasons for not including the auto decompressor, is because of the added duration, and the fact that the intake valve closes later on the compression stroke, it is no longer needed. :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.