Any place to buy gear?

6 replies to this topic
  • sirhk

Posted September 06, 2001 - 11:36 AM

I havn't bought riding gear in quite awhile. My friend asked if I knew any good online or mail order places to get riding gear. He's just getting into the sport and is looking for the full setup, helmet, boots, pants, etc.... He's buying a '97 XR400 next week which should be an awesome beginers bike for a guy that hasn't ridden before and weighs probably 230lbs. Anyways, so I'm passing the question on to you, any recomendations on where to get good prices on gear?

Khris

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• MN_Kevin

Posted September 06, 2001 - 12:51 PM

Khris,
Don't have any great shop to buy gear at, BUT, have your buddy try on whatever gear he is looking at from a local shop. I bought some Alpinestar boots from Bob's Cycle once. They were too big. I thought they just might be stiff and wore them at the track for the day. They were at least a full size too big. I sold them at a considerable loss.
Try before you buy! (even thoug the local shops hate it).
You can see if your local shop will match mail order, including shipping. One shop in MN did it for me.

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• sirhk

Posted September 06, 2001 - 12:56 PM

That's exactly what I told him to do. He's in the Bay area, Ca. I told him to go to the shop, try on everything he wants, take notes of sizes and costs and then shop around once he has all the info.

------------------
Khris
"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bill

Posted September 06, 2001 - 01:59 PM

Make sure he tries on the brand he wants to buy. They're all cut a little different. For great prices, I use MXSouth. They have lots of last years stuff for cheap on "closeout"

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ, 100PAJ and 65 SJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• hodaphile

Posted September 06, 2001 - 02:14 PM

Khris,

When he is in the shop, see if they will be willing to match the prices from the mail order shops. Most any good business will do that to not miss a sale.

I mentioned casually once that I could pick up items much cheaper online. The owner then said he'd be willing to match the price. I now buy everything I can from him. It might take a few days longer because it has to be ordered, but I get the lower price and have no postage charge which can often be considerable. Usually a clerk won't make such concessions so do try to find the owner, also a smaller shop is more compliant. Tried it once at Chaparral, they could care less, they won't even listen to a complaint!

------------------
aka Rich
1996 300 EXC
(dual sported)
1987 Suzuki LT250R
(Glamis chrome beast)

• Brian_in_Long_Beach

Posted September 06, 2001 - 09:14 PM

Khris,
I buy most of my stuff from Doctor Dirt's in Lake Havasu City, AZ - no sales tax, straight cost on shipping and their cheaper than anybody else I've found. Give Steve a call @ 800-922-3478 & tell him Brian Meadows sent you. Telling him I sent you won't get you any cheaper prices but he's done right by me and the few others I've sent his way.

Brian

• lewichris

Posted September 07, 2001 - 05:32 AM

www.theedgesports.com This is the lowest prices i have seen yet. Plus you get free shipping over 50 dollars. I got some gloves and boots from them. Great service. Hope this helpes. I corresponded with a Dave Vargas.

------------------
If life is not a blur. You aren't going fast enough

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.