How loud is the stock YZ 450 F pipe/silencer?

7 replies to this topic
  • Dieselhound

Posted January 10, 2006 - 02:39 PM

My used 04 YZ 450F came with a Pro Circuit T-4 + head pipe installed and is pretty danged loud, giving me a headache after an hour on the bike. :cry: Without going to the trouble of re-installing the stock silencer and headpipe for a field test, how much dB quieter is the stocker at full throttle? The T-4 sounds cool for a while, then makes my head feel like this when I am on the gas: :bonk: If the stocker is 5 dB less at 3/4 throttle, then I will probably put it back on. :applause:
I would have done a search, but searching is down right now.
So, does anyone remember how much quieter the stocker is?
The sound data chart from the government website is confusing.

• ISBB

Posted January 10, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I think you just need to get your head examined.. :applause: Doesnt PC have a quiet core insert for them??

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 10, 2006 - 05:57 PM

I think you just need to get your head examined.. :bonk: Doesnt PC have a quiet core insert for them??

Even with the quiet core the thing is loud. Some guy I saw riding had a TT-R 250 set up like mine ( PC T-4) and he said it tested at 101 wide open. After he got the quiet core the bike tested at 98 db. Now YZ 450Fs usually test at 106 or so with a T-4 and even if he drops 2 or 3 db he is still at at least 103 db. The stocker flows significantly better than a T-4 with the quiet core and still tests at 101...not legal but still quieter than an uncorked T-4 or a corked T-4 for that matter :applause:

• Dieselhound

Posted January 10, 2006 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer, That is exactly the info that I was looking for. I wish that my ears could take the 106 dB, but after all the previous years of racing, thousands of gunshots, screaming women, kids and rock music, my ear nerves are a bit sensitive. I will probably put the stocker back on, or need to wear earplugs. BTW, the gunshots and screaming women didn't happen at the same time. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the detailed answer, That is exactly the info that I was looking for. I wish that my ears could take the 106 dB, but after all the previous years of racing, thousands of gunshots, screaming women, kids and rock music, my ear nerves are a bit sensitive. I will probably put the stocker back on, or need to wear earplugs. BTW, the gunshots and screaming women didn't happen at the same time. :applause:

:bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• YZ400FPower

Posted January 10, 2006 - 10:13 PM

omg Thats the funniest thing that I have read in a while!.Yeah the stocker might be a lill quieter but not much. Will still be in the 98-100 db range.

• kawirider

Posted January 10, 2006 - 11:26 PM

I still have the stock exhaust on my bike and my mom says that if she is within 50 feet, it hurts her ears....

• snowboardstylee

Posted January 11, 2006 - 12:49 AM

ummmmmmmmmmm HELLO ever heard of earplugs.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.