Andy Caldecott killed in Dakar

8 replies to this topic
  • bluebike1999

Posted January 09, 2006 - 05:13 PM

PARIS, Jan 9 (Reuters) - Australian motorcyclist Andy Caldecott died in a crash during the ninth stage of the Dakar Rally on Monday, the organisers of the race said.

"At km 250 of stage 9 between Nouakchott and Kiffa, on a fast portion, the Australian biker suffered a bad crash. and died," they added on the race website.

"Aware of the accident at 11:31AM, the rally headquarters immediately sent a medical helicopter that landed at 11:55 AM on the scene of the accident. The doctors unfortunately could only note the death of the biker that according to them struck immediately." Caldecott is the 23rd competitor to die in the Dakar Rally in 28 years.

The 41-year-old Australian was an experienced desert rider. He won the Australia Safari four times from 2000 and 2003 and was competing in his third Dakar.

He was 1Oth overnight in the standings of the 2006 race after clinching the third stage between Nador and Er-Rachidia, in Morocco, last Monday.

He was married with one child.

andy was an Australian endurance riding legend, sincere sympathy to his wife and child.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:43 PM

That sucks. "roost on mate".

• Matty05

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:43 PM

I saw what happened this morning on fox.

I am certainly dissapointed and sad of Australia's loss. He was a great guy and I had the pleasure of meeting the great man in Alice Springs at the Finke. The Australian bike community is in shock today, I already had a few phone calls about it.

Ride on Andy. Peace be with you and your family.

• pops 56

Posted January 10, 2006 - 01:26 AM

RIP Andy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted January 10, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Another high speed Dakar Tragedy! :applause: :bonk: :cry:

Here is a pic of Andy and his family. :cry:

Posted Image

He will be missed dearly by those who need him most! GodSpeed Andy!

• Bandit9

Posted January 10, 2006 - 02:24 PM

That is what, 3 riders in 2 years now?? Meoni, Sainct, and now Caldecott. I think Richard Sainct died in another rally, not Dakar. It is a shame, but what can you do about it????

I am all for adventure, I am just for "living" a little bit more. I will stick to the woods.

RIP Andy.

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 10, 2006 - 02:34 PM

My next roost will be in memory of Andy.

We have a Washington state rider, (Jonah Street), racing the Dakar this year and I know his heart his sad today as is the rest of the competitors........

My condolences to the Aussie off road community and the Caldecotts.

• moach1

Posted January 10, 2006 - 02:36 PM

my prayers go out to his family.

• Bamster

Posted January 10, 2006 - 03:53 PM

God speed.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.