The I-cat

14 replies to this topic
  • jrcgaf364

Posted January 09, 2006 - 08:15 AM

Ne one here have a thumper with an I cat installed on it? I just got mine in the mail today. plan on installing it when i get the motor back together. Just wondered what ya thought of it.

• 642MX

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:41 AM

I don't have one yet, I looked at them and the price scared me. Share your results with us when you get it put together. Maybe there worth the money?

• XR_RON

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:56 AM

Dont let anyone else be suckered,it dont do anything on a already strong running XR250,I fell for it as a quick bolt on mod,and i got burned,I cant tell any difference,maby a different bike it might do something,when i tried to contact them they stopped answering my e-mails,I wish I would of got the big bore kit instead.

• Fizz

Posted January 10, 2006 - 12:29 AM

their webpage looks like most other scams, i think, a lot of info telling you how god they are, how many people who uses them, and so on, but very little info on HOW THEY ACCUALLY work ....

this: http://patft.uspto.g...0568&RS=6070568 is their patent ... useful or not?

• ncmountainman

Posted January 10, 2006 - 12:38 PM

i researched it when they first came out,originally it was designed to reduce forklift emissions(propane)by making a more complete burn. i have spoke with several electrical folks about the theory behind it and they are sound. yes its fairly inexpensive if you break it down to its parts(the diode inside is about $2) it does not increase the spark it lengthens its duration,without enough degradation to matter. i bought one for my WR450 last yr as it was a hard bike to start;it definately helped starting and throttle response was greatly improved (and yes it was jetted correctly to start with) the most noticeable thing was fuel economy was a whole lot better :applause: i've since put it on my yz and its still going strong :bonk:

• Matty05

Posted January 10, 2006 - 03:45 PM

It does wonders on a 2 stroke, stuff all on a 4 banger.

• flintlock28

Posted January 10, 2006 - 04:24 PM

There were other people who commented that it did help their bike, and other's who hardly noticed anything. I think it really depends on the type of engine design, etc. As an Electronics Technician by trade, the theory is definately sound, but I think it's comparable to the Boyesen Quickshot.....it has worked very well on some bikes, and had a negligible effect on other bikes.

I also trust ncmountainman when he comments on items that he's tried....he has quite a bit of "real world" experience with trying things for his Wr and YZ.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • biznet1

Posted January 10, 2006 - 04:32 PM

I also trust ncmountainman when he comments on items that he's tried....he has quite a bit of "real world" experience with trying things for his Wr and YZ.

... and he definitely has the mods! Ain't that right MC?

• grayracer513

Posted January 10, 2006 - 04:35 PM

i researched it when they first came out,originally it was designed to reduce forklift emissions(propane)by making a more complete burn. i have spoke with several electrical folks about the theory behind it and they are sound. yes its fairly inexpensive if you break it down to its parts(the diode inside is about $2) it does not increase the spark it lengthens its duration,without enough degradation to matter. i bought one for my WR450 last yr as it was a hard bike to start;it definately helped starting and throttle response was greatly improved (and yes it was jetted correctly to start with) the most noticeable thing was fuel economy was a whole lot better :applause: i've since put it on my yz and its still going strong :bonk:

Search for Wrooster's past posts on the I-cat. He had found sources for the components to build his own. He's certainly bright enough not to be sucked into a bottle of snake oil.

Bob, you are right about what it does. My experience with extended spark duration systems is entirely with cars. One of the problems with clean air cars is that they are quite often too lean to burn right, and sometimes so lean that they misfire because of it. That's due the basic truth that richer mixtures are easier to light than really lean ones. This is especially true at part throttle, and the less throttle the more so. The density of the fuel charge and the lower dynamic compression (due to higher manifold vacuum) leads to situations where there may simply not be a molecule of gasoline near enough to the plug to ignite at the precise moment the spark occurs, or close enough to another one to keep the burn going. If the spark lasts longer, it's like having more than one chance at it.

All of that, and experience with MSD ignitions on performance cars leads me to think that you wouldn't see much improvement in WOT performance, if any, but you might in low throttle midrange operation. It could conceiveably improve starting, too, and I think I remember some users mentioning that as an advantage they encountered.

• kawirider

Posted January 10, 2006 - 05:34 PM

My dads '02 WR was horrible to start. It would take at least 10-15 kicks to get it started cold and 3-5 when it was warm, and that was using the hotstart. It made a HUGE differance. If you can give it a swift enough kick, it will start first time cold and it always starts warm. It wasnt jetted right, but still, it made a huge differance. I never thought, that the iCat could have been the reason why his bike can go over 100 miles without a fill up. Mine can only go like 50-55 :applause:

• jocolo

Posted January 10, 2006 - 07:47 PM

I read a review in mx action or transworld or one of them a few month ago and they swore by it.

• Fastest1

Posted January 10, 2006 - 10:28 PM

I read a review in mx action or transworld or one of them a few month ago and they swore by it.

And your point is? Does Icat run an ad in MXA or TWMX? :applause: I do not have any negatives on the Icat, I just dont take magazine articles as gospel.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:48 AM

The idea behind the Icat is the diode is supposed to prevent the resistor in the plug from back charging the coil when it fires.

Indeed the parts in the Icat amount to a plastic enclosure for 2 dollar high voltage diode and a six inch length of spark plug wire.

I could see it doing something when the bike was being started, but beyond that.

I grew up in a home that was filled with electronic engineers (my dad and his four brothers). As a kid my father and myself built CDI for every bike in the neighborhood. We even built one for Gary Scotts Triumph when he was running the Expert class at Ascot in the 60's and early 70's.

The only problem I have with the I-cat is the price tag. If they've got more than a buck or two wrapped up in one of those, they must be made by Harvard Excs by hand in a NewYork city Penthouse somewhere.

To say Im dubious of that product is the understatement of the New Year.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 11, 2006 - 11:07 AM

the icat uses the diode in reverse polarity so as to use it as a dam if you will excuse my electrical ignorance! and as the charge builds and flows past it gets interrupted enough to lengthen the duration of the spark. nowhere in any of the information i researched did it mention what your saying about back charging the coil :applause:

• rockcrawlerdude

Posted January 11, 2006 - 11:19 AM

now for the more important question.. we've all the the scary fast power now carb vanes... and then a couple of ingenious guy on TT decided to make there own...can some one make there own version? since it seems the parts are pretty cheap? engineers please step forward... i agree the price is way out of line for what people are saying it would cost to make....nath

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.