TPS Performance Difference

15 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted January 09, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Has anyone noticed a performance difference when the TPS is unhooked vs hooked. I know about the steady RPM issue but i was just wondering if I should hook it back when I am not dual sporting. In the woods I don't want any performance loss from it being unhooked and I don't know if there is any?

And before I get any sarcastic comments the search function is down.

• jrcgaf364

Posted January 09, 2006 - 06:35 AM

I would leave it hooked up, its there for a reason. I asked scott budzynski (mechanic for team WBR suzuki) about that and he said that that really should be hooked up because it communicates something with the ignition. I dont remember exactaly but i know he said leave it. :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:22 AM

it senses throttle load at different rpm's,sends that info to the cdi and then it changes the ign timing accordingly :applause:

• jrcgaf364

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:26 AM

good save :applause: Thanx

• dbailey223

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:48 AM

The consensus on TT seems to be that you can disconnect for on-road us, but reconnect for offtroad to get a little more performance

• Chas_M

Posted January 09, 2006 - 08:19 AM

Since the search function is down, try these. Click here and here.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:10 AM

the search is down? the sky is falling, the sky is falling :applause:

• byggd

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:20 AM

The consensus on TT seems to be that you can disconnect for on-road us, but reconnect for offtroad to get a little more performance

I would agree. With mine disconnected the constant speed miss went away but it seems to backfire more and when I stabbed the throttle off idle it would flame out and stall sometimes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGoalie

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:22 AM

the search is down? the sky is falling, the sky is falling :bonk:

The search was always broke for NOOBS, might as well be broke for everyone :applause:

• TARFELE

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I guess I will hook it back up. I disconnected it for a dual sport ride and it was smooth. Now I want to back to normal for the trails.

Thanks

• Gadsen

Posted January 10, 2006 - 09:34 PM

Has anyone noticed a performance difference when the TPS is unhooked vs hooked. I know about the steady RPM issue but i was just wondering if I should hook it back when I am not dual sporting. In the woods I don't want any performance loss from it being unhooked and I don't know if there is any?

And before I get any sarcastic comments the search function is down.

Yes, you will have a reduction is power. Its an input for your 3D ignition mapping. When it sees nothing, tis just goes default. So you may have 2 or 1 dimensional ignition mapping.

• TARFELE

Posted January 10, 2006 - 09:40 PM

Yes, you will have a reduction is power. Its an input for your 3D ignition mapping. When it sees nothing, tis just goes default. So you may have 2 or 1 dimensional ignition mapping.

Can that cause any damage?

• Chas_M

Posted January 10, 2006 - 11:30 PM

Disconnecting the TPS causes no damage, but the gas mileage may be somewhat diminished.

The function of the TPS is somewhat analogous to the automotive vacuum advance, in that the TPS serves to advance the timing during part throttle operation on top of the built in advance curve (default setting). As the throttle is opened up, the timing gradually returns to the default setting, reaching the default setting at or just before full throttle. :applause:

• 70mustang

Posted March 08, 2006 - 04:02 PM

Does anyone know about the revs hanging above idle for a few seconds, or indefinitly, when the tps is disconnected?

• Farmer Hank

Posted March 08, 2006 - 05:05 PM

70 Mustang
Revs hanging above idle was cured by rejetting to Indy's recommendations for me. Disconnecting the TPS cured part throttle surging at steady throttle. I'd check jetting before I'd blame hanging throttle on TPS.
I just leave the TPS off all the time - If full throttle generates the same power either way, who cares if part throttle power is reduced? You can always tist the throttle 2 more degrees to make up the difference.

• camaro345

Posted March 08, 2006 - 05:47 PM

When I unplugged the TPS I thought I got more throttle reponse all throught out the rev range. If nothing else the seat of the pants test told me that after unplugging it had more power. This maybe because of my present setup on the bike, but to me I had no loss in power unplugging the tps. Yesterday I was messing around, and plugged it back in and as soon as a twisted the throttle I could tell it much less responsive compared to it unplugged. This was very noticable after just riding it the other way. I will always keep it unplugged from now on. The performance on other bikes maybe different than what I experienced, so this is coming just from my own experience from my bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.