rust on 426 frame

6 replies to this topic
  • sac 53

Posted January 09, 2006 - 05:58 AM

I am looking to buy a 2001 426. I went and looked at one today and it had rust on the front of the frame. Is this a big deal? The rest of the bike looks real clean.

• MichiganMXer

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Sounds like the guy doesnt ride it much. I dont think its a big deal.

When you look at the bike again, bring the bike to TDC. Dont pull the decompession lever and see if you can still push it past TDC.. Thats an indication on the compression on the motor. If it still has good compression, you'll more like break your foot than push it past TDC.

• rlp1

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:57 AM

You really, REALLY want to check for rust in other areas, like the shocks, forks, and shock linkage areas, along with where the subframe meets the frame, and take off any skid plates etc. to reveal any rust that might be hiding out. Look at the exhaust, is it sealed up, no rust where the header connects to the cylinder and the silencer connects to the header? Are the fork seals in good shape? Compress the forks, and check the bolts on top to make sure he didn't recently fill the oil due to blown seals. Check the chain slider for excessive wear, and the boots around the levers for evidence that the bike was dropped a lot.

Check the thread in this forum called "Buying a 426, what to look for?" or something, it has a lot of good advice.

Here it is:
http://www.thumperta...14&parentpage=2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:59 AM

I've got some rust too. Its just a little surface rust where the paint has been rubbed off.

• sac 53

Posted January 10, 2006 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for all the good information. The rest of the bike looks good and the compression is good. He is an older guy that says he doesnt ride much and kept it under a tarp in his backyard. I guess that would explain the rust.

• ISBB

Posted January 10, 2006 - 05:34 PM

i have rust on mine and i ride it all the time... Out in glamis/dumont/desert trips on cold mornings when the dew build up obviously stuff gets wet as well as washing the thing... The paint/powdercoat is worn off in the typical spots from my boots and thats where the rust is.. :applause:

• YZ400FPower

Posted January 10, 2006 - 09:58 PM

Its just chips from rocks hitting the paint(just like on your trcuk). You can buy a can or brush bottle of YAMAHA blue touch up paint at your local dealer...........its completely normal (IM GOING TO PUT SUPER THICK GRIP TAPE ON THAT PART OF THE FRAME SOON). Be shure to check all parts of the motor that have seals or gaskets. The decompression unit up on the front of the motor has a seal in it that may leak........mine had it.

Hope this helps,
keith

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.