carb ? search function not working

6 replies to this topic
  • crazyclimbr

Posted January 08, 2006 - 09:28 PM

The search function is disabled for maintainence so I'm hoping someone either knows the answer to my question or can direct me to a thread.

I've a 1988 XR600R that runs really well. Today I was talking with another XR600R rider and he mentioned a problem with carb that can happen as the bike gets older. Basically he cautioned me to pull the carb and replace a butterfly valve with an aftermarket part which he described as a plate with holes in it. He said that the spring assembly weakens over time and can break sending the remanents into the motor :applause:
Anyone know about or experienced this before?
Thanks, Steve

• AzMtnThumper

Posted January 08, 2006 - 09:52 PM

He probably talking about the choke plate. There's a small, spring loaded flapper do dad that sometimes has been known to separate from the main part of the choke plate and get sucked through the motor. You can either remove the small flapper from the choke plate or replace the entire assembly with a billet aftermarket choke plate.

• PeterHively

Posted January 08, 2006 - 10:32 PM

The first time I heard about the choke plate problem I thought "yeah right, I've never heard of that happening before", two days later my choke plate broke off, and my motor got munched. See http://www.precision.../chokeplate.htm and get one before it's too late!

Peter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crazyclimbr

Posted January 08, 2006 - 11:18 PM

thanks guys I appreciate the info

• BRP27

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:56 AM

There are a number of other reasons to get a Edelbrock carb.

Starts easy, adjusts easy, Great throttle snap, does not flood when you drop the bike on it's side. :applause:

• crazyclimbr

Posted January 10, 2006 - 05:16 PM

There are a number of other reasons to get a Edelbrock carb.

Starts easy, adjusts easy, Great throttle snap, does not flood when you drop the bike on it's side. :applause:

Where would I find an Edelbrock carb?

• crazyclimbr

Posted January 14, 2006 - 07:05 PM

The first time I heard about the choke plate problem I thought "yeah right, I've never heard of that happening before", two days later my choke plate broke off, and my motor got munched. See http://www.precision.../chokeplate.htm and get one before it's too late!

Peter

I ordered the plate and it arrived in like 3 days :applause: to http://www.precision.../chokeplate.htm

Pulled the carb did the change and bike started right up and I'm :cry: :bonk:
Thanks for the link Pete...I feel much more secure knowing I'm not gonna get stuck out in Jawbone canyon because my motor went south on me.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.