Aluminum framed WR in 07'? Yes or no??

19 replies to this topic
  • wayneoXCF

Posted January 08, 2006 - 03:46 PM

Are we gonna see this or what Yamaha? Its time to breakoff something new now that you have the YZ frame!!! If it doesnt happen by 07' that red bike's gonna be tempting. Come on BIG BLUE-MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• clark4131

Posted January 08, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Steel :applause:
Aluminum :bonk:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...SC

• dreadrock

Posted January 08, 2006 - 06:04 PM

i myself like the steel frame.

04 wr 450
04 crf 150
:applause:

• moach1

Posted January 08, 2006 - 08:00 PM

another vote for steel. waiting for the efi

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 08, 2006 - 10:16 PM

As soon as this thing goes AL you know yamaha is gonna jack the price to CRF 450x levels :applause: At that price level it makes the exotics (KTM, Husqvarna, husaberg) look that much more enticing :bonk:

• gregwr450f

Posted January 08, 2006 - 10:40 PM

Steel for me, and it makes maintenance easier too.

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 08, 2006 - 11:14 PM

You guys crack me up. Aluminum is a sure thing. If not next year then the year after but if Yamaha holds true to form it will be next year (one year behind the YZ). You guys voting steel need to go ride one of the new YZ's. Superlight feel because all the weight is down low. They are very nice. More difficult to work on? Probably a little. As for fuel injection that will be driven by new emission standards which are tightening over the next couple of years so it's probably not far off.

• Matty05

Posted January 09, 2006 - 02:58 AM

As soon as this thing goes AL you know yamaha is gonna jack the price to CRF 450x levels :applause: At that price level it makes the exotics (KTM, Husqvarna, husaberg) look that much more enticing :bonk:

What, Honda CRF450X $91 more expensive than Yamaha WR450F in Australia!
KTM, husqvarna and husaberg about $700 more, and TM about $2000 more.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:58 AM

I think the steel frame allows *easier* access to the carb. IT would seem the AL frame might be tight fitting.

• yzkid999

Posted January 09, 2006 - 08:03 AM

I can't wait for the 09 carbon fiber frame lol. nuther vote for steel.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted January 10, 2006 - 05:04 PM

US prices

WR 450f-$6899
CRF 450x- $7199
Husqvarna TE 450- $7199
KTM 450 exc- $7495???

You can see the WR has a distinct price advantage here in the US :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 10, 2006 - 05:28 PM

You guys crack me up. Aluminum is a sure thing. If not next year then the year after but if Yamaha holds true to form it will be next year (one year behind the YZ). You guys voting steel need to go ride one of the new YZ's. Superlight feel because all the weight is down low. They are very nice. More difficult to work on? Probably a little. As for fuel injection that will be driven by new emission standards which are tightening over the next couple of years so it's probably not far off.

Jetting change on 06' YZ450 = Subframe and shock removal.

Reverse flywheel so stator is now part of the left side engine cover. (should be cheap and easy to rewind if needed, NOT!)

Frame mold puts casting cups on the inside of the frame, hmmmmmmm...... those oughta be fun to clean the mud out of.

It's probably an awesome bike but I picked one up at the shop last weekend and it's not noticeably lighter to me :bonk:

My buddy at Yamaha did not have any indication as to whether or not the WR would follow suit on the AL frame but he said FI will not come out till 08' :cry: I don't care what it's driven off of (emission standards or otherwise), I cannot wait to order my fuel injected WR :applause:

• Triumphs

Posted January 10, 2006 - 07:55 PM

Steel or Aluminum, the WR needs a new frame and handling transformation despite some recent improvements... if it is to be compared with other 450's and not 650's as in the past. It will be aluminum as that's what the crosser is and by extention what the basis of the WR will be...and what I'm waiting for!

As for Fuel Infection..please Yamaha, resist the temptation, dirt and EFI are not a good mix.

• DPW

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:00 PM

need to ride one before you judge it...

• Matty05

Posted January 10, 2006 - 08:32 PM

US prices

WR 450f-$6899
CRF 450x- $7199
Husqvarna TE 450- $7199
KTM 450 exc- $7495???

You can see the WR has a distinct price advantage here in the US :applause:

Crap!!!! Here in Aust:
Yamaha wr450f:$11,899
Yamaha WR450 2trac '04: $24,999
Honda crf450x: $11,990
Husqvarna te450: $12,290
KTM 450 exc: $12,595
Gas Gas EC450 FSE: $12,699
Husaberg FE450E: $12,690
Sherco 4.5i: ???
TM 450FES: $13,790
Vor 450ENE: $13,090

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 10, 2006 - 09:16 PM

As for Fuel Infection..please Yamaha, resist the temptation, dirt and EFI are not a good mix.

Come on man with EFI you could ride at any elevation at any temperature and always have optimum fuel and air delivery. No more messing around with jetting........ Could you imagine how nice your bike would start on a 25deg morning with fuel injection?

I'm not 100% sure but I would be willing to bet that many Dakar Rally vehicles, 2 and 4 wheel , are right now, as I type, running fuel injection. There is no basis for stating that EFI and dirt are not a good mix:excuseme:

Oh I vote for steel:thumbsup:

• CharlesFP

Posted January 10, 2006 - 09:35 PM

I'm amazed that people skoff at the idea of fuel injection!!! Have you noticed that modern automobile engines are more reliable, more efficient and more powerful than older cars with carburators? Do you want to go back to that? With fuel injection, our thumpers will NEVER need any rejetting. They will run perfectly at every elevation and they will start every time. And no, don't mention how unrealiable the Cannondales were. That is totally irrelevent. The big 4 will get all the bugs out. EFI is not rocket science and it is not a new technology. If anything, an EFI system is less complex than a FCR carbuerator. They will also run cleaner, which will substantially extend engine lifespan. You'll never be running rich or lean ever again. The only reason thumpers aren't fuel injected right now is because the industry just recently shifted its R and D money away from 2 strokes. Four strokes are supposed to be liquid cooled, have 4 valves or more, and are supposed to have EFI. Get with the program. Or go back to your air-cooled 2 smoke with drum brakes, two rear-shocks and 5 inches of travel up front. I don't think buying any thumper right before they all switch to EFI is a good idea at all. Keep your carbed bikes running and wait. I am.

• Triumphs

Posted January 11, 2006 - 06:58 AM

I'm amazed that people skoff at the idea of fuel injection!!! Have you noticed that modern automobile engines are more reliable, more efficient and more powerful than older cars with carburators? .

Yep, car engines have had injection for a long time. Even then, emissions drove this, not performance, and for a price. They've had a long time to sort it out. They also don't spend all day in clouds of dust, and proper filtration is absolutely crucial. As for bikes, BMW and Ducati probably have the most sorted systems... but they've been playing with the technology since the 80's. Those that know street bikes know in recent years how every new Japanese bike that introduces this goes through a season or two of glitchy, tempermental throttle delivery until finally matching the refinement of the old carbureted version...with additional cost and complexity! And how do you service EFI on the side of the trail? I recently gave a very red faced 450 GAS GAS owner a tow back to his truck after his EFI failed...and they've been developing that system for years! No thanks!

I for one WANT a next generation aluminum framed WR, but don't want to wait till 2010 for a sorted out EFI version...or deal with a fussy, glitchy motor the first year (while Yamaha works on sorting it out) that totally overshadows chassis improvements....or even worse, deal with a long push back to the truck or home!

• wayneoXCF

Posted January 11, 2006 - 04:42 PM

Right on. If they raised the price to CRX levels, it would still be cheaper than a KTM. And with the AL frame, its right up there with 'em. I'd pay $6800 for an AL framed WR.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 11, 2006 - 04:51 PM

NO to EFI, that'll just give yamaha ANOTHER excuse to jack the price on an already expensive bike. Thank God for discount bike brokers!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.