Trading my 05 WR for an 06 YZF450

9 replies to this topic
  • thumper_dad

Posted January 08, 2006 - 01:35 PM

I traded my 04 YZF450 for the 05 WR because mainly the 4 speed tranny was a bitch in the the tight woods and in the single track I mainly ride in. While it's sweet having an electric start and the Wide Ratio Tranny the weight of the WR has killed a lot of the fun factor I used to have with previous bikes.

I did a search on the new 06 YZF and only found a few threads regarding the front end pushing and it doesn't look like that will take much to fix.

I would love to hear if someone else has traded their WR for the new YZF and what their likes and dislikes are with the change.

I figure I can always change the gearing a little to make the bike a little more appealing to the woods. I have put a bunch of stuff on my WR that I am currently taking off because the dealer never gives you the extra value of those parts (Scott's Triple clamp and dampener, Clarke 3 gal tank, Fat bars etc) on your trade in.

I have also heard the mention of a flywheel weight, I only have experience with those on 2 strokes and have never considered one on a 4 stroke.

I spent the better part of the morning putting the stock stuff back on the bike, I know that none of those parts will fit my new 06 but I figure I will just sell them on TT or somewhere.

Any thoughts on the change or comments would be welcome.

Thanks - Rich

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 08, 2006 - 09:52 PM

I am anxoiulsy awaiting some answers too, as I am thinking of trading my 04 WR on an 06 YZ. Mostly ride woods, but do a little(very little and very slow) track riding and quite abit of hillclimbing. Hit us back guys.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 09, 2006 - 06:02 AM

*Bump*

• thumper_dad

Posted January 09, 2006 - 06:06 AM

I have already decided and took off all my goodies. all I have left is to give it a good wash and take it to my local dealer this Tuesday.
I sure will miss the E button but I sure wont miss all that extra weight.
Any idea what an 05 WR in excellent cond. with less than a 1,000 miles is worth?
I always get a good deal when I go this guy. i was already quoted $6,850 OTD for the 06

• ncmountainman

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:16 AM

I traded my 04 YZF450 for the 05 WR because mainly the 4 speed tranny was a bitch in the the tight woods and in the single track I mainly ride in. While it's sweet having an electric start and the Wide Ratio Tranny the weight of the WR has killed a lot of the fun factor I used to have with previous bikes.

I did a search on the new 06 YZF and only found a few threads regarding the front end pushing and it doesn't look like that will take much to fix.

I would love to hear if someone else has traded their WR for the new YZF and what their likes and dislikes are with the change.

I figure I can always change the gearing a little to make the bike a little more appealing to the woods. I have put a bunch of stuff on my WR that I am currently taking off because the dealer never gives you the extra value of those parts (Scott's Triple clamp and dampener, Clarke 3 gal tank, Fat bars etc) on your trade in.

I have also heard the mention of a flywheel weight, I only have experience with those on 2 strokes and have never considered one on a 4 stroke.

I spent the better part of the morning putting the stock stuff back on the bike, I know that none of those parts will fit my new 06 but I figure I will just sell them on TT or somewhere.

Any thoughts on the change or comments would be welcome.

Thanks - Rich

1st gear is exactly the same as the 4spds,in fact 1st-4th is pretty much the same(i think 3rd is a little different). stock in 06 is now 13/50 i believe, i run 13/52 on my 05 and without the rekluse it would be a bitch in the tight stuff, but with one its perfect :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Reyndogg

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:37 AM

stock is 13/49 on the 06 YZ450F

• Wyatt

Posted January 09, 2006 - 08:37 AM

Stock is 13/49, and 1st -3rd are the same. 4th is a tad lower than previous, and ofcourse there is a 5th gear on top.

• ncmountainman

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:06 AM

Stock is 13/49, and 1st -3rd are the same. 4th is a tad lower than previous, and ofcourse there is a 5th gear on top.

i knew one was different,5th is the same as the yz426's 5th(not a whole lot of overdrive) the 13/49 still allows some room in the back to go with a bigger sprocket for woods riders :applause: its not gonna be any different than the 4spd basically,just about 5mph more top end in 5th :bonk: so its not really helping the technical woods rider,and would still need the rekluse in my opinion.

• Wyatt

Posted January 09, 2006 - 09:17 AM

People think there is such a difference between the 4 and 5 speeds, but there is not. They seem to think that 2nd and 3rd are so much broader than they are because there are only 4 gears. I reality, the 4sp vs 5sp make no real difference except for the 5th gear on top.

• thumper_dad

Posted January 10, 2006 - 04:20 PM

I thought for sure 1st gear would have been shorter than with the 4 speed :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.