Get a calif. Lic plate for any year WR GUARANTEED!?!?!?!

13 replies to this topic
  • steve lemley

Posted January 07, 2006 - 09:45 PM

A riding buddy sent me this link to this guys site. He's in the Orange County area of California. I don't know if he's for real or not but he basicly guarantees to get your Califoprnia dirk bike street legal period no catches. The only thing I see is that you might end up with a special construction title when he's done and I would think that the insurance would be pretty high for that "special construction" title. Anybody heard of this guy? My 99 WR 400 is street legal already but I know of a few guys that would love to plate thier bikes so I thaught I would share it with all of you...Good luck and let me know your thaughts. Is this guy trying to rip off us riders or is he for real???

http://www.californi....com/index.html

• moach1

Posted January 07, 2006 - 09:57 PM

i will get it plated for you for only $1300

• bg10459

Posted January 07, 2006 - 10:03 PM

We are able to acquire a genuine California
license plate for most green sticker-ed dirt bikes registered in the state of California. That goes for pre 1997 or true green sticker 1997 and later - those without a 3 or C in the 8th digit of the VIN)

If you didn't have a 3 or a C in the 8th digit, I think it would be fairly simple to plate. Problem is, you probably do have a 3 or a C.

• TeamScream

Posted January 07, 2006 - 10:12 PM

Do the research on "special construction" registrations in Cali and do it yourself.
This guy is not doing anything you cannot do for yourself.
If people can build Harleys from scratch and get them plated you can modify a dirt bike and get it plated.
I posted this on the Supermoto side months ago.
The rules pertain to how the bike looks when you are done if you are using an OEM frame.
As long as the bike looks "fundamentally" different than it did when it rolled off the production line then it is considered "special construction".
Putting lights, powder coating the frame, different sized (supermoto) wheels onit "fundamentally" changes the originall look and intention of the machine and therefore can be considered "special construction".
If it doesnt look like a duck but it waddles and quacks, is it still a duck?
There are forms that can be downloaded from the DMV to help you with this.

Check Here and Check Here

Now after reading those web pages, are you going to pay someone to jump through those hoops for you or are you going to spend that money on a Trick Dualsport Kit and some paint and do it yourself.
It is all just footwork and patience.....that guy just figured he'd market that and try and make a buck!
capitalism at it's finest!

• byggd

Posted January 08, 2006 - 05:49 AM

moach1....... if you can guarantee that on my 02 426 you're on!

• TARFELE

Posted January 08, 2006 - 07:46 PM

Is that a good deal?

If it is, Damn what does it take in California to get it plated.
I just got my plates back in Dec. here in Texas and it cost me less that $200. About $50 was for not transffering the title and paying taxes when I bought it.

For it to pass inspection all I had to do was make a hi/low beam($20), Horn($3.99), brake light($18.99) and tires that did not say,"Not For Highway Use". $.25(cents)

Why is Cali so much more?

• steve lemley

Posted January 08, 2006 - 09:44 PM

As of 2001 calif. dmv will not register any year bike unless it was built from the factory specificly for street use, no grandfathering in older bikes anymore or anything, they just put a stop to it period. They cracked down and its almost impossible to do it anymore. Thats why us Californians that have bikes with plates will never sell them because sooner or later, they just wont be around anymore. Most plated bikes in Calif. are going for anywhere between $1000 to $2000 more than the same bike that is'nt plates. Sucks...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TeamScream

Posted January 08, 2006 - 10:16 PM

As of 2001 calif. dmv will not register any year bike unless it was built from the factory specificly for street use, no grandfathering in older bikes anymore or anything, they just put a stop to it period. They cracked down and its almost impossible to do it anymore. Thats why us Californians that have bikes with plates will never sell them because sooner or later, they just wont be around anymore. Most plated bikes in Calif. are going for anywhere between $1000 to $2000 more than the same bike that is'nt plates. Sucks...

Well like I stated above steve, (not trying to argue with you here so dont take it that way please) the custom Harley guys do it all the time with bikes that do not even come close to being noise or smog friendly, let alone meet any reasonable safety requirement as far as lighting go's.
they do it with a "special construction" registration.
If you are creative enough and have the time to spend filling out the paperwork and getting the bike signed off by the proper inspection station(s) you can do it.
Check the links I provided above, read them carefully and you too will see that there are ways through the "loophole(s)".
Modify the frame in some way..... weld a bracket onto the subframe for a license plate - (hint hint) get custom graphics made for it (wink wink) and put 17" wheels and tires on it (nudge nudge) along with custom lights, a mirror and so forth. BUT FIRST take a picture of one fresh off the showroom floor so that when you go before the all mighty DMV hag you have proof that the bike is COMPLETELY different than the ones they sell down at the shop and you can then prove that it was "specially constructed".
They will issue you a new "special construction" title for the bike and away you go into street legal bliss.
I am building another 426F from parts acquired on ebay and elswhere, I will have the frame powder coated and it will have 2005 450 plastics on it when it is done and becasue you have to modify the frame and use a 2005 subframe to do it, it will then be truly a "special construction" motorcycle.....I plan on documenting every single required step to pull it off and writing up what was actually required and what I could have gotten away with and I will share it with the world here.
You dont have to go that far, the guy on the website in the first post here has figured it out, I figured it out months ago by doing the research myself with several calls to the DMV and thats how I found the web pages I reference above.
What the DMV has done is put a stop to anyone who wants to just buy a dirt bike and sneak it through the system, but they cannot legally keep you from building a "kit' motorcycle and getting registered as long as you meet the requirements they set forth, and if you are thinking ...well what about the smog thing, simple......it's a carburated engine.....drop the needle a clip or 2, put a smaller main jet in it and make it run lean then take it and get it tested.
They have no parameters other than total emissions at a certain RPM from the muffler and you can beat that blindfolded.
Blinkers, high low switch, horn, tail light, brake light, morror. KABOOM! :applause:

• TARFELE

Posted January 09, 2006 - 05:17 AM

Don't California Off-Roaders have a lobby group? I may be way off but I think that there are 30,000 TT members from California. Thats has no weight there?

Another idea is to pull the records from the DMV and see how many bikes in the last 5 years have been converted and applied for a "Highway Use" title then take that to Yamaha and let them know that they can make some simple mods and have a big seller. Suzuki did it with the DRZ400 or did California make it where you cannot get that bike there?

• steve lemley

Posted January 09, 2006 - 07:43 AM

Tarfele had asked why it was so hard to get them registered that was why I posted the last one. Not arguing at all if fact the info is very helpful thank you very very much. I see now that there is a way around the system and thats good to know. Thanks for the links also. The reason I posted the info in the first place is because I got a friend looking to buy a bike and he was going to buy any bike and put a street legal kit on it and pay this guy to get it street legal for him. I tlold him to buy one already street legal because the system was almost impossible to get around and I am wrong. Maybe he can buy what he wants now instead of settling for something done already. Thanks team scream. One question though. How much of an insurance cost difference is a special construction from a factory bike? I pay $144 a year for my 99 WR.

• TeamScream

Posted January 09, 2006 - 08:13 AM

One question though. How much of an insurance cost difference is a special construction from a factory bike? I pay $144 a year for my 99 WR.

Well I pay about twice that much for my 2001 WR in supermoto trim, but thats because I put riders on all the other stuff like $1500.00 wheels, $500.00 pipe, $1500.00 brakes etc etc.
As far as the insurance company is concerned it is a street legal WR426F with some special goodies.
I am not sure what they are going to say about the "special construction" title of the new one I am building now.
I was smart and registered my first one right off the showroom floor at the dealership, this next one I will have to jump through the hoops listed above.

• imdickie

Posted January 17, 2006 - 11:47 AM

Good stuff...

Sorry to dig up a mildly old post but I had a question.

TeamScream - Did you take it into your local CHP like it says in the DMV links you porvided? What are they cheking for? Can I use another source for what the CHP is supposedly checking?

The other thing I was wondering is if any one has utilized AAA for this type of DMV services? I know they can do some things but this may be out of their MO.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted January 17, 2006 - 12:02 PM

I paid $54.00 and did it myself...

• byggd

Posted January 17, 2006 - 03:19 PM

I paid $54.00 and did it myself...

Did what Dan? :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.