stripped bolt

7 replies to this topic
  • moach1

Posted January 07, 2006 - 09:25 PM

my frame oil bolt is stripped. not the bolt but the frame. it will tighten up but not much more than finger tight. should i use a helicoil or just use a drop of thread locker? any help is appreciated.

• WildRide

Posted January 07, 2006 - 11:18 PM

Have you chased the threads with a tap? Sometimes combined with a fresh bolt and thread locker you can get decent holding power.

• xr_man

Posted January 08, 2006 - 03:07 AM

there is enough metal to tap to the next size up.....why take a chance with anything less than a new thread ???

• kevin1209

Posted January 08, 2006 - 05:31 AM

there is enough metal to tap to the next size up.....why take a chance with anything less than a new thread ???

I agree. :applause: Just drill and tap the hole to the next larger size. If nothing else, it will give you peace of mind on your next ride. :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • moach1

Posted January 08, 2006 - 02:08 PM

ya i think i will go up one size. thanks for the input :applause:

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted January 08, 2006 - 07:53 PM

Try going one size up. Keep the sizes in "even numbers", if you tap it to those goofy odd numbers, ( I hope you will keep it metric) you may never find a drain plug for it. Also, a heli-coil would work, but even better would be a thread insert. Do locktite the insert of helicoil in. You can buy a helicoil kits for about $45. It will come with the tap, coils,. insert tool and the tap will tell you which drill size to use.

• simch

Posted January 11, 2006 - 07:50 PM

or just weld a new nut on the front of the stripped one. I did it with my engine plate captive bolts, it worked a treat! You have good access so you will get a nice weld.

You can keep stripping them and doing this, until the bolt catches on the front tyre!!

• moach1

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:03 PM

thats a good idea, never thought about that.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.