Is the xr600r the red-headed step-child?

45 replies to this topic
  • XR_RON

Posted January 15, 2006 - 09:42 AM

Well,with that said it is fair to say that the xr600 paved the way for the xr650,I own the 86xr600,and have enjoyed it tremendously,but,I have a bad back,and i picked up a 99xr250,on my way to go buy a e-start xr650l,the weight compared to the 600 is what sold me on the smaller xr,I still plan to buy a xr-xrl650,soon,I rode the non e-start new xr650,and i reluctantley must say that,yeah,it does overshadow the old 600,and as bad as i hate to admitt it,(please,let me wipe this tear out of my eye)it does render the 600 obsolete.the technology is to far advanced,and the power is,well freaking un-believable,i was keeping up with full street bikes on this plated xr-650,and yes I want one badley!! Your Friend,XRRon

• arel451

Posted January 15, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I loved my '96 600R. When you were out on the tight singletrack trails, or making any new trails you didn't have to worry about any pesky branches punching a hole in your rad. That thing started and went through everything I asked it to- except doubles!

• wildXR600r

Posted April 08, 2006 - 08:11 PM

Lots of back and forth with the end result always shoving the good'ol XR600r into a trash can when compared to the 650.....Cripes, Will the 650 be a piece of junk if a 660 becomes available? The 650 does have a couple technological improvements and yeah, its got a slightly larger displacement, but they are both most excellent big red pigs that can plow fields with thier monster torque.
If I do decide to grab a 650 [lookin' at one now] ,then I'll still keep the 600 , and if the CRFx6 becomes a reality, then I'll have 3 bikes...... The 600 made many soil thier trousers when it debuted, .....still a mint ride too. Always hear the 'my dog's bigger than your dog' with these bike owners at the same parts counter... I'm sure that the mods on my 600 and the big bore displacement [that makes it a hair bigger than the 650] would make a few 650 owners milk thier pants..... Both are proven and are a blast as long as we can get parts for them :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EddyWhoGoes

Posted April 09, 2006 - 12:02 AM

has the xr650 simply made the xr600 obsolete?

No, its just another awesome pony in a stable of greatness.

:thumbsup:

• uncleroby

Posted April 09, 2006 - 03:44 AM

Lots of back and forth with the end result always shoving the good'ol XR600r into a trash can when compared to the 650.....Cripes, Will the 650 be a piece of junk if a 660 becomes available? The 650 does have a couple technological improvements and yeah, its got a slightly larger displacement, but they are both most excellent big red pigs that can plow fields with thier monster torque.
If I do decide to grab a 650 [lookin' at one now] ,then I'll still keep the 600 , and if the CRFx6 becomes a reality, then I'll have 3 bikes...... The 600 made many soil thier trousers when it debuted, .....still a mint ride too. Always hear the 'my dog's bigger than your dog' with these bike owners at the same parts counter... I'm sure that the mods on my 600 and the big bore displacement [that makes it a hair bigger than the 650] would make a few 650 owners milk thier pants..... Both are proven and are a blast as long as we can get parts for them :thumbsup:

I owned a XR600R and now I own a XR650R.They are different bike:
The 600 is lighter, less powerful, better in the tight and rocky trails.

The 650 is better in the fast trails and as supermoto.

When XR600R came out in Italy it was a real enduro competition four stroke bike and it competed against Yamaha TT600, KTM LC4, Husqvarna TE.
When XR650R was presented, enduro competition bikes were very different: lighter, smaller displacement, electric starter. Thus XR650r, in Europe, was no more a racing bike but a dual sport. Unfortunately dual sport bikes were no more popular...

I reckon XR600R is better for our off road.

Uncleroby

uncleroby

• ocotillo

Posted April 14, 2009 - 02:01 PM

23 years ago I road an xr600r in the SoCal deserts, great bike, last year I started riding again with my sons and went to a 1994 xr250r, an amazing bike, not a 600 but amazing. 2 months ago it became time to upgrade from my xr250r, I tried everything, DRZ400, KLX250, CR250, CRF450 and finally the xr650r, all I tried in the desert and I ended up buying a 2000 xr600r. To me the xr600r is like a xr250r on steroids, but the xr650 was something completely different and I didn't like it. I just couldn't seem to read the engine, soooo much power I couldn't even get traction, I thought I was in neutral at times. With the XR600R, like the XR250 you can grab and twist that throttle at will and it won't buck you off. Just my two sents, I like the xr600r.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.