Is the xr600r the red-headed step-child?

45 replies to this topic
  • timothypg

Posted January 12, 2006 - 02:51 PM

I love my xr6 just had it out today, ripped up and down the road a few times, still kick's butt. going to have it bored to a 628 very soon. hey exaresix i bought my bike down there in phx. a long time ago.

• Triumphs

Posted January 12, 2006 - 03:07 PM

The guys that ride the 650 or any of the new thumpers, will always ride the latest greatest bikes with the newest technology

???? The guys that ride 650R's are often the same guys that owned 600R's too! But that was the 90's. The 650R has been out for six years now and rumours even of it's imminent replacement are rampant! 650R ownership is hardly "jumping on the bandwagon" here! It's been the same amount of time since the 600 was made. I guess my 84 XR500 was perfectly good when I sold it and bought a 600 for the "latest and greatest" technology too! :applause:

• azmanxman

Posted January 12, 2006 - 04:00 PM

Let's face it, everything is relative. I replaced my KLR650 for a 95 XR600r and I can't think of a better bike. It's 'light' and it's certainly 'fast'. The suspension is 'awesome'. Of course I've never ridden a 650R or much else for that matter.
To me, the only time having the absolute best is important is if you're racing. If you're just out there having fun who cares if you're doing 53mph or 59 over those jumps? Hey, who even knows, there's no speedo on my bike anyway, that's why I'm sure I must have been doin about 95!!

Remember that there's always someone out there doing more with less. :applause:

• brichter

Posted January 12, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Nah, the '83 XL600R is the redheaded stepchild. Can't even get aftermarket goodies like exhaust cans! :applause:

• miguelitro

Posted January 12, 2006 - 06:19 PM

I miss my 91, it was a great bike and never let me down...In fact i think i was faster on that bike thatn my currant sled.
Mike

• XRidiculous

Posted January 12, 2006 - 07:06 PM

My '98 is the first new bike I could ever afford-and I will never get rid of it. Too many people, rode it to too many championships-the parts bin is deep. I probably put another 3k in parts, because I could afford that too...and it makes me smile when I'm blazing a wall of rocks at the rider behind me. That said, I did a highway run against a 650r-and he was disappointed he couldn't pull away from me. Since '98, its been TDC, kick, guh-guH-guh, guh-Guh-guh, you get the picture.

• brichter

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:36 PM

Hey, I keep hearing about "Dave's" mods on this board, but google gives me no love.

Anybody got a link for the n00b?

• goblin127

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:50 PM

Dave's Mod's on four strokes .com?

• loufish

Posted January 12, 2006 - 09:19 PM

The XR 600R is the best bike ever built.

...Until the 650r came along!
Look if you own & ride a 600, that's great...But it got replaced with a better bike that's all. Deal with it... :applause:

• XR_Dude

Posted January 13, 2006 - 07:45 AM

It's not really about which one is better [Triumphs/ Loufish], it's about owning a classic. You guys will never understand. When the 650 is no longer made, you will sell em and buy the latest greatest and tout that bike as the best. I'm sure it will be the best. I ride other dirt bikes beside the XR, I just like the XR because it is a classic dirt bike (not the only one). You guys need to deal with it!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ghoti

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:18 AM

How does the power of the XR600R compare to a XR650L. The R has a higher compression piston right? The L has 50 cc's more but otherwise the same engine. Does anyone know how much the 600R weighs?

• oldturtle

Posted January 13, 2006 - 09:14 AM

The first time I rode a 650R was on a Baja trail ride where I swapped bikes with my XR600 for about 20 miles. Got back on my 600 and just could not believe the difference. Two days after getting home I had a new 01 in my garage. The same thing happened when I swapped with a Scotts equipped 650R. Had to get a stabilizer. So if you are happy with the XR600 do not make mistake of swapping with a 650R. It will forever ruin your love affair with the 600.
And this has nothing at all to do with wanting the latest and greatest. Look at my sig.

• MotoGoalie

Posted January 13, 2006 - 09:40 AM

Answer this question then.

How much more powerful in the best description possible, is the 650r than the 600r?

I use my 600 for high altitude trailriding and sometimes double up and put my wife on the back, I have buddy pegs and the bike could be more powerful.

I do love the seat of the bike though. It makes me really hate that YZFs seat in comparison.

• Roll_it_on

Posted January 13, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I would guess that on the dyno there is about a ten horsepower difference between the 600R and the 650R with also a considerable amount of increased torgue. I am in the same boat as Oldturtle in that I was happy with my 97 600 until I road my buddies new 2002 650R. It had a whole new feel to it and a tremendous seat of the pants difference in throttle response and power. A very short time later I had a new 03 650R sitting in my garage. :applause: The new seat is not as good as the very plush unit on the 600 and the addition of decent buddy pegs for two up riding is tricky.

• Triumphs

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:36 PM

It's not really about which one is better [Triumphs/ Loufish], it's about owning a classic. You guys will never understand. When the 650 is no longer made, you will sell em and buy the latest greatest and tout that bike as the best.

????? A bike made in 2000 is a classic? Have we confused classic with obsolete? The 2000 600R is a classic...what about the 2000 650R? Six years does not make a classic...but it's a fair bet in time they may qualify. As a genuine classic bike enthusiast (for those rare greater then six year old classics!) I agree those bikes are great...there is no better way to appreciate a modern off-road bike then to ride a classic one!

As an AHRMA member and vintage racer however... when I am not riding my own classic bikes (Triumph, BSA) when off roading I want modern power, handling, brakes and suspension...something the 600R and 650R both provide in their time, but whose classic status will not be clear until after the upcoming CRF600X is long retired. As noted elsewhere, moving on has nothing to do with appearances and trendiness, just the right tool for the job....but of course I would never understand not appreciating classics and all! :applause:

• JohnBG

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:45 PM

Nah, the '83 XL600R is the redheaded stepchild. Can't even get aftermarket goodies like exhaust cans! :applause:

I got an aftermarket exhaust on my '87 XL600R, came with the bike when I bought it. Looking at the shop manual it doesn't look like they changed the exhaust between 83 and 87. Seems you should be able to scrounge one up. Check eBay!

• huntmaster

Posted January 13, 2006 - 08:56 PM

As noted elsewhere, moving on has nothing to do with appearances and trendiness, just the right tool for the job....but of course I would never understand not appreciating classics and all! :applause:

Calling someone with the signature name "Triumphs" a non classic enthusiast is, err....classic. I wonder if he wrote Charleton Heston complaining about his anti-gun position?

• XRmeister

Posted January 14, 2006 - 01:54 PM

I also own an XR 600R. I think the fact that the 600 has not been made since '01 is all the more reason to write / read about in this forum. Many stories of rides and mods on the good old 600. That is why I think the 600 should have it's own forum, it has a loyal following. The guys that ride the 650 or any of the new thumpers, will always ride the latest greatest bikes with the newest technology (not that there's anything wrong with that), but there are a lot of people out there that enjoy riding and maintaining the 600.

:applause:

• crazyclimbr

Posted January 14, 2006 - 09:31 PM

I own a 1988 XR600R that I picked up for $1500 a couple of months ago. I really like this bike for trail riding and stuff. It has decent power and suspension and I'm surprised that a 17 y/o bike still performs this well. My bike..I think I'll keep her.

• Triumphs

Posted January 15, 2006 - 07:32 AM

I own a 1988 XR600R that I picked up for $1500 a couple of months ago. I really like this bike for trail riding and stuff.

Something wrong with the original 79 XR500? You guys are always jumping on the bandwagon with your fancy schmancy new 600s! :applause:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  181 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.