99 yz 400

12 replies to this topic
  • jt55t

Posted January 07, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I just traded my rm 250 for a 99 yzf 400. It seems to be in top running condition and fairly clean. Is there anything to look out for before my first ride.

• YZippy

Posted January 07, 2006 - 07:59 PM

http://www.motocross...2671F136A5B98CA

Click and memorize this. Or else your life will suck!

• YZ400FPower

Posted January 07, 2006 - 09:35 PM

yeah.the timming chain.........and check the valves too. also check your chain and sprockets....if they are stock they should be replaced.i liked to go with a 14 up front and 50 in the rear. A 8 to 10oz flywheel weight also does wonders for this bike..AND LAST BUT NOT LEAs CHECK YOUR FORK OIL!!.makes a big diff!.if you have any questions just pm me./keith

• jt55t

Posted January 21, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for your help guys. The first ride was before i read this and boy did my life suck when i could not start this machine i was about to sell it immediately!. But does anyone know of anyone selling factory plastics (blue) for a 99 YZF 400 this bike was retro fitted to white plastics and it is starting to bother me. thanks! Also what is up with the oil cap in the frame is this where you add oil? Sorry for the stupid questions but this is my first four stroke i grew up on two strokes and now i have crossed over to the other side.

• tntmo

Posted January 22, 2006 - 05:46 AM

Also what is up with the oil cap in the frame is this where you add oil?

This is where you check the oil and add oil if you need to. The YZ400 has a dry sump motor, meaning the frame is the oil tank rather than the crankcase. A lot of bikes use the dry sump system, it's supposed to make the engine a bit shorter top to bottom I believe. Enjoy the bike!

• jrcgaf364

Posted January 22, 2006 - 06:18 AM

Have fun . I've had mine since new in 99 and i wouldn't trade it for the world. once you get used to the fact that is kinda heavy youll love it. have fun

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Derwud

Posted January 22, 2006 - 07:22 AM

Once you get the starting dance down, you can shame your 450 friends because your bike starts on the first kick... I've also owned mine since new and only the '06 has peaked my attention.

• 93gt

Posted January 22, 2006 - 03:52 PM

Put the auto decomp cam in it and be done with the hard start.

• jecsr

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:03 PM

Put the auto decomp cam in it and be done with the hard start.

Will this make it easier to kick ?

• 642MX

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for your help guys. The first ride was before i read this and boy did my life suck when i could not start this machine i was about to sell it immediately!. But does anyone know of anyone selling factory plastics (blue) for a 99 YZF 400 this bike was retro fitted to white plastics and it is starting to bother me. thanks! Also what is up with the oil cap in the frame is this where you add oil? Sorry for the stupid questions but this is my first four stroke i grew up on two strokes and now i have crossed over to the other side.

It sounds like you need to read the factory manual before you ride it. At the top of the page you can find hundreds of posts about the auto decompression cam.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted January 22, 2006 - 04:38 PM

Will this make it easier to kick ?

What he is reffering to is the '03 auto-decompression exhaust cam that you can put in 98-02 models to help ease starting so there is no more real "drill". With the '03 cam installed, you can kick it normally and it will fire. No more worrying about the compression release lever. It will save you a lot of hassle, time, and thinking. You can order the cam from your local Yamaha dealer's parts department.

• jt55t

Posted February 22, 2006 - 05:06 PM

it looks like you are a little cocky.

• cocomunga11

Posted February 25, 2006 - 03:47 PM

450 cams for sure!!! I did my bike, before the cams i had to have it on a stand and have my bike boots on... now i can start it in my tennis shoes on the ground... its really nice when you crash and your tired and the bike is hot thats when youll thank the bike gods!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.