06 yz450f oil change question

2 replies to this topic
  • yzf_guy

Posted January 07, 2006 - 05:57 PM

So the manual says if you are doing a periodic oil change then you put in 1 quart, if you do a oil change with filter change then you put in 1.06 quarts then it say with a total amount of 1.27 quarts. My question is if you do a change with filter do you put in 1.06 or 1.27 quarts. I put 1.27 quarts and it was right at the top line on the dipstick, I also let it run for a couple of minutes like the manual says before I checked it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tom_dappert

Posted January 08, 2006 - 06:28 AM

I just use the quantities stated in the manual as a guideline as it depends on how well you drain the oil from the engine, the filter housing or whether you've just done a complete tear down. You did good.

• Lizard 1

Posted January 08, 2006 - 07:28 AM

So the manual says if you are doing a periodic oil change then you put in 1 quart, if you do a oil change with filter change then you put in 1.06 quarts then it say with a total amount of 1.27 quarts. My question is if you do a change with filter do you put in 1.06 or 1.27 quarts. I put 1.27 quarts and it was right at the top line on the dipstick, I also let it run for a couple of minutes like the manual says before I checked it.

Uh, unless you do a complete tear down, you don't need to worry about the 1.27 amount. In other words, all the oil in the motor that you'd remove in a tear down (Cleaning and eveything) would add another .21 quarts total maximum amount.

If you put in 1.27 quarts, it's too much for just an oil and filter change...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.