XR 200 valve adjustment

20 replies to this topic
  • dcubeddd

Posted January 07, 2006 - 05:34 PM

My manual says to turn crank to "T" mark on flywheel to be assured of TDC, but I can find no such mark, can anyone offer guidance? All I see are what appear to be punchdots....feel free to email me any pictures of the area, or scans from your books, etc.

Thanks in advance,

-d3

• Old School Al

Posted January 07, 2006 - 10:58 PM

Never run into one yet without a T.......................there's alway a first time though! The marks are small and a bit hard to see. Lean the bike over to the right a bit and use a good light as you rotate the flywheel counter clockwise. :applause:

Old School Al

• hondarider95

Posted January 08, 2006 - 09:30 AM

Use a flashlight and get down so that your eye level with the hole. The first time I was adjusting my valves, I wasnt looking through the hole at quite eye level, and the case was just barely blocking the leters. So, ya try looking up a little more in the hole.

If you cant find it, just pull the spark plug out, and get the piston to TDC by looking down the spark plug hole until you see the piston at the very top of the stroke. Watch the piston go around a few times, so you know for sure when its at the TDC.

Also once you get it to TDC make sure you can move the valves up and down with your fingers (They move very litttle). If they dont move crank it around counter clockwise one more time, and then see if the move. If they still dont your valves are just tight.

So you need to go to TDC after the compression stroke. This is TDC after the intake valve opens (goes down). And then adjust your valves from there.

Make sure you re-measure the valve clearences after you tighten the lock nut, cause tighting that nut will mess up the clearance.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• JunkyardDog1

Posted October 18, 2008 - 02:29 PM

I know this is an old post, but I found it while searching for information on how to adjust the valves on my daughters recently purchased '02 XR200. The T mark IS there, it's above the series of "punch marks", right on the upper edge. I had to lay on the floor while turning the engine over, and rinse oil off the flywheel with carb cleaner to find it. The "T" is horizontal, with the top of the T vertical, and another vertical line right next to it. Jerry.

• Chuck.

Posted October 20, 2008 - 09:34 AM

All of the previous about finding the marks,plus:

The cam runs at half the speed of the crank so the crank rotates twice for one rotation of the cam; this means that only everyother TDC will position the cam correctly for adjusting the valves.

You will know you have the correct TDC when you can move both rocker arms. When the engine is at TDC gripe the adjusting nut on each rocker arm with your fingers and push/pull, you should feel a bit of play on both. If no play rotate the engine one more rev and check again.

• motojunkiedan

Posted October 26, 2008 - 03:20 PM

Does anyone know what the valve clearace should be on a 2001 xr200. Thanks.

• motojunkiedan

Posted October 27, 2008 - 06:11 PM

found the clearance it is .0002 intake and .0003 exhaust.

• kanyonkritter

Posted October 30, 2008 - 08:35 AM

found the clearance it is .0002 intake and .0003 exhaust.

How do you get a feeler gauge in there? My book suggested a honda tool (feeler gauge) but no one has one. Checking the valves on this thing is worse than on my CRF. any suggestions? is there a set a feelers for sale somewhere that work for the XR200? I have two different sets that I cant seem to get bent enough or have enough backbone to get a good read.

• kanyonkritter

Posted October 31, 2008 - 09:53 AM

Nothing???????

• Yogi Bear

Posted October 31, 2008 - 05:48 PM

KK since you are only dealing with .002 and .003 and at that thickness the blades bend pretty easily, I have never had a problem getting them in there. Are you pulling the tank to make it somewhat easier?

• motojunkiedan

Posted November 01, 2008 - 07:21 PM

The book says to pull the tank. I am going to do mine tomarrow and will report back as to my sucess or lack of.:worthy:

• kanyonkritter

Posted November 03, 2008 - 07:36 AM

KK since you are only dealing with .002 and .003 and at that thickness the blades bend pretty easily, I have never had a problem getting them in there. Are you pulling the tank to make it somewhat easier?

Ya, I've got the tank pulled maybe it is just my impatience getting the best of me. Your using a typical set of feelers? Thanks Yogi.

• motojunkiedan

Posted November 04, 2008 - 07:26 AM

Ok tried with regular feeler gages and determined we should shoot the engineer that designed this bike. Next step is to get honda tool or pull motor to remove head cover. :worthy:

• rpeterse126

Posted November 20, 2008 - 05:18 PM

I found TDC but cannot get the feeler gauge in to check the valves does anyone have a helpful hint. The clearance on the intake is .05 mm and exhaust is .08mm Thanks

• bjur

Posted November 28, 2008 - 10:26 PM

I found an easier way on my bike to find TDC was to take off the flywheel cover. The magnets in there kept the flywheel only allowing the "f" to show. If I would move the crank any more the magnets would pull the flywheel too far. Take the cover off and line it up much quicker and with less frustration. Make sure the piston is truely at the top though by taking out the spark plug and use a piece of plastic down the hole to measure.

• keithh2oskier

Posted August 05, 2009 - 12:23 PM

Sorry to resurect an old thread, but I went to check mine yesterday and had some issues. I found TDC no problems with the T. I have the clymer but it is not really helpful except for providing the specs.

I am basically stuck on where am I supposed to put this feeler gauge? The manual says "Between the cam lobe and the rocker pad". Well if I look really close, I can see the cam lobe, but it's way the hell in there... I don't think I could get to it unless I had the whole head off.

So I guess I have a little trouble distinguishing between what I am seeing throught the mini peep hole... I see the adjusting screw which has the nut on it. That looks to be attached to the rocker arm. Just for a sense of explainging things to me can someone take a picture of them adjusting the valve and where the feeler gauge is supposed to go?

I would really appreciate it. My plan is to do this on Friday.

• EAST

Posted August 05, 2009 - 09:04 PM

Uh yeah. Forget that "cam lobe" nonsense. The feeler gauge (and I highly recommend using the Honda-specific one) fits between the adjuster and the top of the valve stem.

Here's a shot of the Honda feeler gauge and a Motion Pro valve wrench:

Posted Image

Here they are in action:

Posted Image

• ShayNZ

Posted August 05, 2009 - 09:48 PM

You can get feeler guages with the end bent for this purpose, or else as mentioned, just wind the adjuster out enough to get a normal blade in there, then wind it down until a small amount of resistance is felt when sliding the blade in and out.

• keithh2oskier

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:27 AM

Uh yeah. Forget that "cam lobe" nonsense. The feeler gauge (and I highly recommend using the Honda-specific one) fits between the adjuster and the top of the valve stem.

Here's a shot of the Honda feeler gauge and a Motion Pro valve wrench:

Posted Image

Here they are in action:

Posted Image

Thanks for the images. I went and bought a Motion Pro feeler gauge (same as the Honda) and am borrowing the motion pro valve wrench. I will be doing this tommorrow and will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again for the help!

• Graydon

Posted August 06, 2009 - 06:52 AM

Hi guys,

First post here. I just did mine ('87 XR200) on the bench before I installed the engine so it was probably a little easier than working under the tank or around the frame rail. The feeler gauges will bend easily enough to get them in there without bending them. It is tight however. Also, make sure you have a wrench on the locknut and a screwdriver on the adjuster simultaneously so that as you tighten the locknut, the adjuster does not move. Double check the final clearance when everything is tight.

Also, i noticed a typo earlier in this thread. The specs are 0.002" and 0.003" (someone had an extra zero in there in an earlier post!)

This is the first XR200 I've been on and I think it is going to be a fun bike. Mine needs a fork rebuild - they're pretty weak) and I'd like a front disk so I may just look for some upgrade forks with a disk. Will have to do some searching to see which one is the best upgrade.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

'02 XR200 Adventure/Mountain Bike by mx4god

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

New and I bought a xr100r by 86indy

• Hot  55 replies
Forums
Photo

I need Opinion on an Issue for XR200R by vfrriderus

• 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Valve Seal Problem by SouthShore_Boy

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

What Would Be The best dirt bike for a 12 year old? by ramis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  48 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.