Heading to MS and AR this spring (jetting?)

4 replies to this topic
  • al_piv

Posted January 07, 2006 - 04:53 PM

I have set my carb up with the following jetting:
specs

I am heading out on the Trans-America Trial and need to know if I am going to have problems with the bike running rich or lean in those climits or elevations..

HELP. :applause:

• al_piv

Posted January 08, 2006 - 06:34 AM

Who out there sets these things up for Baja -- I contacted James Dean of JDJetting and he does not have any jetting data on the BRP.

Who else out there sets these things up for like BAJA ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted January 08, 2006 - 07:57 AM

With the bike jetted as your link states, it is going to run richer as you go up after you get to 3000-4000 feet and you may have to rejet if you go higher. The optimum fix for the carb problem is to install an Edelbrock. A '91 XR600 that I previously owned, fitted with an Edelbrock, required only 2-3 clicks on the jet adjuster from sea level (Baja) to 14000-plus peaks (Colorado). I rode my son's '03 BRP in Colorado last August at elevations from 6000-14000 feet, the Edelbrock required no adjustment after an initial 2 clicks to lean. Admittedly, the price of the Edelbrock is a little steep, but the benefits (easier starting, no flooding after a fall/stall, better performance, no jetting hassles) are all well worth it IMHO.

• al_piv

Posted January 08, 2006 - 09:59 AM

Thanks creeky: Yet no time and the money tree has lost its leaves for the season....
Have to carry extra jetting.. Many thanks for the inpu.

• big t

Posted January 08, 2006 - 04:20 PM

I think you will be ok with the jetting you are running now. If you do change it I would run a 172 main and leave everything else alone. When I had my stock carb on I ran a 172 main, stock needle (4th position), and the 68s. Bike ran great.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.