Storm Link & GYRT Flywheel, YZ450F, 04,

17 replies to this topic
  • Nitrox

Posted January 07, 2006 - 11:58 AM

A couple of weeks ago I rode a buddies 06 CR450f. With the exception of not having tons of power, I thought the bike was great. It handled and cornered incredibly well. I found myself taking inside lines with it and not even thinking about it. Something my yz would never do.

So, I don't want to buy a new bike so I've started with a few quick and easy mods to see if I can improve my 04.

I started with a flywheel. Went with a GYRT flywheel. I weighed the two and found the GYRT about 4.7 ozs heavier. This was a big difference for me and the bike. The bike hooks up so much better. Laying it over in tight rutted corners was where I noticed a lot. I'm also found that I don't mind a freshly watered semi-hard packed track anymore. By they way, it takes five minute to swap it out.

So today I put on the Storm Link. Very easy to install and unless you look close you won’t see a difference from stock link in the center-to-center pivot hole. THisa is more of a 15 minute job. I don't have the verdict on this mod yet but I'm going to one of our tighter and more technical tracks tomorrow to try it out. I'll update then.

To finish this off, I'd like to say that I am not a fast rider. I've been riding motocross the last few years in an old-timers class, I'm 50. I’m at the faster end of the novice class and pass a few intermediates every once in a while. Been riding dirt bikes since 1968. I've had Kawasaki's, Suzuki's, Huskies, Maico's, and other YZ's. This bike is by far the best bike I’ve had. The only other mod on the bike is having the suspension completely set up for me and my riding ability. Springs and re-vavling.

My two cents and I’ll let you know on how the Storm Links works out.

Craig

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2006 - 12:19 PM

I used the 8oz Dr.D on mine, and I have a GYT-R racing flywheel like yours as well. I was worried at first that the engine would feel sluggish or lazy with that much weight, but it really isn't. It gives up nothing on pavement in straight acceleration from a slow corner (it quite easily carries its front wheel through 3rd), but in poor traction, it hooks up better (FAR better) and is just generally easier and more fun to ride. Note that mine is an '03, which is more agressive even than the '04 was, an that Dr.D says that his 6oz is the one most of his customers end up with, and that's close to the near 5oz of yours.

I used offset clamps instead of the Storm link. I like the results, for the most part. The bike turns much better than it did, and feels less top heavy, but I can't compare the two because I haven't tried the link.

• falshh

Posted January 07, 2006 - 12:21 PM

be careful what you say on this forum dogging a yz in any way will not be tolerated.(see the going green tommorrow thread)

Anyway the 04 motor is awsome, but turning is terrible, the storm link helps.MY advice is dont ride anybody elses bike and you wont be able to tell how bad the turning really is.I have a 04yz also I still love riding it and if you figure out another way to make it turn better let me know, a good front tire helps also I like the dunlop 756rr.Let me know what you thought of the storm link.Ive heard guys also putting on offset triple clamps to help, but im not sure how the combination of that and the storm link will go , but maybe that is the trick.

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2006 - 01:15 PM

Offset clamps and fixes like the Storm link take two different approaches to the problem, and I'm not sure that I would recommend using them in conjunction.

Offset clamps increase the trail without changing the head angle. When I installed mine, I reassembled in with the forks pulled up to between the first and second index mark. I found it too unstable that way, and lowered them to flush.

The Storm link changes the steering geometry by raising the rear end slightly, and does exactly the same thing as raising the fork tubes in that sense. Either procedure alters the geometry by decreasing the head angle, and with it, the trail. While the results are similar, it works for a different reason, and the effect on overall handling is a little different.

Both methods have the effect of improving turning at the expense of stability, and my experience with pulling up the forks along with the offset clamp leads me to think that combining a Storm link with a 2-3 mm offset might not work out well.

• falshh

Posted January 07, 2006 - 04:28 PM

greyracer I have always rotated my bars foward more than normal because I have long arms, just curiuous if you think different bar positions effect steering.I have always ran mine foward and hadnt thought of rotating them back towards me to maybe improve steering ,cornering etc.

• big t

Posted January 07, 2006 - 04:47 PM

Running your bars forward doesn't change the steering geometry. It's more of a comfort thing. I run mine pretty far forward. It feels right to me. Running the bars forward might help turning a little by keeping you further forward on the bike.

• tom_dappert

Posted January 08, 2006 - 07:04 AM

I have an 03 with the Storm link, the GYRT flywheel, and am running the WB E2 w/ spark arrestor (to tame it a little) . It improved the overall ride but it still tends to want to stand in the turns. The trick to cornering is, is to shove your outside knee into that beast and roll that throttle on nice and easy. As I'm, sure you know when you snap the throttle that thing has got a mind of it's own. Works for me anyway. For what it's worth, IMHO the stock front tire sucks b...s.

• Nitrox

Posted January 08, 2006 - 12:23 PM

Update: I rode the bike today and to telll the truth I don't know if the link did anything. I looked at the sag prior to riding and did not have to change it. I thought it might of needed it but didn't. If there is any difference in handling, it is a small amount.

I want to hit another track or maybe a race before I say it is a good mod or not. It did not surprise me with the cornering of the 06 honda. And I knew it wasn't going to be either. But I was expecting to feel a little more like it wanted to cut inside on corners.

A good thing is that I didn't feel like it gave up any stability at speed, or hitting braking bumps, or the woops.

I left the forks where they were in the triple clamp which is up to the first line.

The verdict is still out and I will update again after a few more test rides.

Craig

• John407

Posted January 08, 2006 - 12:53 PM

Great test and testing. I have the Storm Link but I put it on last winter so I have a difficult time saying it was or was not an improvment. It is blue and it looks cool so that's worth a second or two per lap. :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mx369

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:37 AM

I have a GYTR flywheel weight and a Storm link for 450 for sale. Riding 06 now. Flyw $45 plus shipping, Storm $75 plus shipping. PM me.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 11, 2006 - 11:33 AM

The storm link works awesome if your sag is correct for it! I run 105mm - 107mm and it turns on a dime(well as close as a 03 YZF will)...after much testing with every other sag rate.
Call Storm - they have tested every imaginable setting - ask them for help!
Stock sag settings are not the ideal setting for the link.... :bonk:
I also run my forks 5-7mm below the stanction/fork cap to the top of the tripleclamps. And decent front Tire Michelin MS3
Fork and shock settings(rebound/compression) will affect this to. Mine is all Enzo/subtanked/Ti - set up for B Racer - you can fine tune with R & C.
Do not try offset clamps with this as it is a nightmare to deal with dialing it in....with the link as Grey has mentioned. It is one or the other.
Sharper turning is also a function of throttle control and leg control - you will not notice how well it works until you blast into a turn with the gas on...and the inside of your outside knee applying pressure to the bike...if you do it right, the bike will seem like it is on rails
:applause:

• falshh

Posted January 13, 2006 - 09:20 PM

The storm link works awesome if your sag is correct for it! I run 105mm - 107mm and it turns on a dime(well as close as a 03 YZF will)...after much testing with every other sag rate.
Call Storm - they have tested every imaginable setting - ask them for help!
Stock sag settings are not the ideal setting for the link.... :bonk:
I also run my forks 5-7mm below the stanction/fork cap to the top of the tripleclamps. And decent front Tire Michelin MS3
Fork and shock settings(rebound/compression) will affect this to. Mine is all Enzo/subtanked/Ti - set up for B Racer - you can fine tune with R & C.
Do not try offset clamps with this as it is a nightmare to deal with dialing it in....with the link as Grey has mentioned. It is one or the other.
Sharper turning is also a function of throttle control and leg control - you will not notice how well it works until you blast into a turn with the gas on...and the inside of your outside knee applying pressure to the bike...if you do it right, the bike will seem like it is on rails
:applause:

ga426racer what were you running on your sag before you put the link on, I never tried changing the sag on mine after the link.Another good point that has been made is the yz has such a big power hit when you first hit the throttle that ,that may be part of the problem in turning, wanting to pop you out of the rutt etc, I will concentrate on better throttle contol.
also just curious how much do you weight?and do you have stock springs on your bike.

• Ga426owner

Posted January 14, 2006 - 08:06 AM

ga426racer what were you running on your sag before you put the link on, I never tried changing the sag on mine after the link.Another good point that has been made is the yz has such a big power hit when you first hit the throttle that ,that may be part of the problem in turning, wanting to pop you out of the rutt etc, I will concentrate on better throttle contol.
also just curious how much do you weight?and do you have stock springs on your bike.

100mm sag. Sag must be periodically checked as it does change over time -
Although difficult on the 03 - roll on power in corners is the better faster way - than just punching the throttle - frontend lifts everytime which is ok unless it comes up to far and you have to back down the throttle - losing momentum and time.
I weight 195-200lbs - .47 front and 5.5 rear

• tonyski

Posted January 28, 2006 - 08:42 PM

do you still have the flywheel for sale ? do you know which one it is ?yamaha list 2 different ones. Thanks Tony ckwiat15@msn.com 410 557 6199

• perrymx23

Posted January 29, 2006 - 07:47 AM

Great info YZ guys. My 04 YZ450F is my first YZ in 15 years. Coming from smoker CR's. Rode/Raced CR500 for years. Adapted to the YZ quickly, but have issue's turning. Have set sag and fork height. Also went with 14/47 gearing, helped alot with roll on and control in corners.
Question: besides storm link and offset clamps, heard of a different lower suspension pivot and arm??? Any Ideas.??

• Nitrox

Posted January 29, 2006 - 01:40 PM

It's been a couple of weeks but I've had a chance to get out to the track a couple of times now and here's my latest observations. The track is a higher speed, big wide corners, good berms, nice dirt in the corners that ruts up nicely.

I do think the Storm Link is helping some. I am finding in the deep rutted, tight corners that it is staying in the rut a lot easier now. Kind of along the lines of what Ga426owner was saying, The throttle plays a big part of staying in tight. If you back off the throttle the bike still will stand up straight and want to go to the outside. It just doesn't do it as bad now. So I'm happy there. I am running just a tad over 4.2" of sag.
I left my forks up through the clamps too.

On a flat corner to off camber corner I feel it has improved a bit too. But I don't know now if it's the flywheel or the Link.

One good thing is that two simple and easy mods have improved the bike a lot. It still doesn't corner like the 06 crf 450 that my buddy has. But I let him ride it and his comment was that he got the biggest smile when he turned the throttle down the straights. And I have to admit, after riding his bike for a few laps, I was glad to get back on mine, I love that power when the bike hooks up!

CB

• mx369

Posted January 30, 2006 - 12:31 PM

Storm sold have GYTR weight still

• crfdaddy

Posted March 07, 2006 - 07:55 PM

do you still have the flywheel for sale ?will it fit a 04 yz 450f? how much does it weigh over stock? thanks john send me a pm

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.