426 cam mod - anyone in CA?

10 replies to this topic
  • Raven1911

Posted January 07, 2006 - 11:16 AM

I wanted to do the exhaust cam mod on my 2001 426 but wanted to talk with someone that has done it that lives in So CA. Anyone out there close to the Inland Empire? I live in Highland and wanted someone to help me with this mod?

• Pincushion

Posted January 07, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I've done it on my 2000. Great mod!

I'm in Long Beach, which is quite a cruise from the IE. Be glad to help though.
I've got all the tools plus shims needed.

I'm off to Anaheim now. PM me if you want to.
I'm out!

• grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2006 - 12:25 PM

See my first response on page one for some reference:

http://www.thumperta...13&page=1&pp=10

It's really simple. You take the old one out, time the new one, and check your clearance.

:applause:

• Phatjonny

Posted January 07, 2006 - 01:06 PM

This was the first mod I did to my bike after I bought it, and I had no experience working on bikes. It really was pretty easy. The only problem I had, was checking the clearences, which I think I just second guessed myself too much. But all worked out fine, just print out the PDF directions and you shoud be good to go...and make sure you have an in/lb torque wrench.

• Raven1911

Posted January 07, 2006 - 07:30 PM

Did you guys need to re-jet? Did you replace the timing chain? How about break in time?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted January 07, 2006 - 07:40 PM

New cams should be kept above 2000-2500 rpm as much as possible for the first 20 minutes or so. Beyond that, no special break in is necessary.

• odlaw19

Posted January 08, 2006 - 04:59 AM

New cams should be kept above 2000-2500 rpm as much as possible for the first 20 minutes or so. Beyond that, no special break in is necessary.

Is this cam shaft RPM or crank RPM?

I haven't heard of this before... is there a reason?

Waldo.

• Satch0922

Posted January 08, 2006 - 05:59 AM

Did you guys need to re-jet? Did you replace the timing chain? How about break in time?

I did not have to rejet. How many hours does your bike have on it? That info is necessary to determine if your bike needs a timing chain. Otherwise it would be a preventative measure.....which is always a good thing!

• Raven1911

Posted January 08, 2006 - 11:07 AM

I have no idea how many hours are on it as I bought it used. I guess I should replace it to be safe?

• Fizz

Posted January 08, 2006 - 12:47 PM

do you have to change lifters when replacing the cam (new/used)?

like when changing the cam in a car, the lifters "wear" matches the old cam, and will wear down the new to fast if not replaced?

• Raven1911

Posted January 08, 2006 - 10:11 PM

I don't believe so only re-shimming is necessary.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.