Looking at a 426(2001) tomorrow, areas I should look at closely?

20 replies to this topic
  • villiage_idiot

Posted January 06, 2006 - 05:54 PM

Okay, bit of back story here....

Been riding for 26 years now. Since 1986 all I've had is a 1986 Honda Reflex "Trials" bike. Did what I needed well, but here of late I'm itching to have more...more everything. Then a good friend let me ride his KTM 525 and I'm in love.

So, I have tracked down a YZ426F(2001) that has been well maintained and souped up a bit. Have yet to see the thing but tomorrow(1-7-2006) I shall ride it and give it an eyeball. 2000 bucks, guy lives right down the road from me and I have ties to him(best friend works with him). He outta be honest and forthright so I'll get the clean scoop.

Question(s)
Price? Doin okay with this?
Problem areas on the 426 that I need to be especially aware of?

I've wrenched on bikes, did all my own stuff with my other ones, so I can spot abuse(I hope) and see what's up in that realm. I just need to know what hidden gremlins I can uncover with a test-ride and "butt-sense". The bike is setup for a 6'4" 240 pound person, while I'm a 5'9" 190 fella. I know this will skew the suspension some and make it feel a bit tipsy, all that can be fixed quickly.

Any feedback is appreciated, tips or winning lotto numbers.

Dan

• REBELEX

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:53 PM

Look at the frame and see how much has rubbed off, the chain guide on top of the swing arm, has it got a deep track through it? Dents in underside of frame-abuse... radiators etc. The overall look of the bike has it been looked after? Ask bout last service on valve clearances, oil, oil filter and air filter change. Does it start within 1-3 kicks

The 01 model has a 2-tone seat black on blue, the header pipe is higher than 00' so it has easy access to the oil filter.
The VIN/Frame No. is a giveaway to the model. On the headstem the 10th digit on an 01 model is a #1 im sure. The 00' model has a #0 or Y. The 02' model has a #2. That is off the top of my head so could be wrong.

• s3706

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:46 PM

List of things to ask about

1) Timing chain (when it was replaced last)
2) Top End ( When it was last done if it has ever been done)
3) Ask how often the oil and oil filter have been changed
4) How often the valve clearance was checked and the last time it was done
and if the valves have ever been replaced.
5) I would open the rad cap to check and see how the fluids look in the rads and also pull the dip stick and see what the oil currently looks like in the bike.
6) I would look over the frame and subframe to make sure they are free of any fresh welding.
7 I would do a close inspection of the motor.

:applause:

• villiage_idiot

Posted January 07, 2006 - 04:41 AM

Many thanks! I'm dragging along a friend that was a semi-pro rider back in the day, he knows lots about bikes in general. I'm a former gear-head(cars) myself so between us we outta be able to spot a lemon(I hope).

I've been googling like a madman looking for issues with the 426(2001) and it seems that Yamaha did a good job updating the bike from the 2000 model and it's a rather solid bike. I'll print this stuff off and go in armed with good knowledge. Appreciate the help y'all. I'll post back later with what I found.

• Satch0922

Posted January 07, 2006 - 06:46 AM

the 01 is a great bike. If it has been maintained....it is bulletproof.

• Fastest1

Posted January 07, 2006 - 07:29 AM

You should be fine, even the problems with a 2000 are overstated. 426's in general are pretty bulletproof.

• 97chevy

Posted January 07, 2006 - 07:57 AM

Check the

frame for dents
wheels (not bent)
radiators(make sure not crushed)
swingarm for damage
forks (nicks in chrome/ leaks)
shocks (nicks in chrome/ leaks)
chain/ sprockets
cables
seat foam(make sure its not coming apart from seatbase)
headset for freeplay
swing arm for freeplay
wheels bearings for freeplay
brake rotors (make sure not bent)
brake pads (pad material still left?)
Radiator fluid (make its clean)

Maybe bring 10mm wrench and pop the seat off and see if the air filter is clean or dirty. (could tell you a little about how it was maintained)

Take it for a test ride and make sure to see how it starts hot and cold. Also before you start it touch the motor to see if the owner pre-warmed it. (might indicate hard starter) Thats all I can think of right now. My best piece of advice is make a checklist with things to check. Good Luck!

• odlaw19

Posted January 08, 2006 - 06:25 AM

Easiest way to tell if its an 01/02 and not a 00 is the floating front rotor. 00 dont have floating front rotor.

• villiage_idiot

Posted January 14, 2006 - 03:55 PM

Sorry I took so long to get back to this thread. I did indeed ride it and all that jazz.

Frame was rubbed some, but that just means it has a few miles under it's belt.
Frame was NOT demted up, looked great on the bottom.
Started up on the third or forth kick when dead cold(about 25 f that morning)
Started up easily when warmed up/hot.

One thing that was odd to me was that the bike had a wet sump system installed rather than the original dry sump. Seems a tad bit extreme for a small weight loss, not a deal breaker tho. Would be nice to be able to check the oil level easily, but from the looks of the bike it has been maintained very very well.

Another thing. I'm kinda smallish in stature and for me starting this thing was a pain in the arse. I could not touch both feet to the ground while mounted, so I kinda had to balance it and then jump on the kick-start, which in turn gave it some gas and killed it immediatly. I have fears that I'll stall the thing on some evil hill and end up sliding backwards down the hill because I don't weight enough to turn it over if I don't get it far enough past TDC. I'll look into retro-fitting an electric start with a high-density battery, no stator, just an "emergency" start for nasty spots.

Again, thanks for the advice y'all. If I can scrape up the fundage for this thing I hope to be sporting a YZ426 here in about a week.

• Florida_426

Posted January 14, 2006 - 07:28 PM

Sounds like you found a pretty good bike. The first thing I'd recommend is to install a 450 exhaust cam (450DCM) and ease the starting routine for yourself. I did this to my '02 in summer of 2003 and it made a world of difference in starting and a better power output for me. No routine and no decompression lever needed

The wet sump kits can be retrofitted if they didn't seal off the passages and orifices when the wet sump kit was installed. Just get the galley lines and bolts for your year and remove the plate from the oil pump. Check for the oil screen in the frame and a dip stick and you should be okay. If you do a regular oil change and keep good clean oil filters you can live with the wet sump mod. I kept my 426 dry and don't feel I'd notice the minimal weight loss.

Good luck and anjoy your 426, I know mine is a God send for me and I love it.

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • villiage_idiot

Posted January 20, 2006 - 07:00 PM

w00t! Got it. Today! Didn't get to ride it much, just up and down the driveway and around in the woods some...in the pitch black. The header was glowing a nice sassy orange color, just like the turbo in my car. My car is blue too, geezus I'm so stoked. Goin to Brushy Mountain tomorrow and it'll take a typhoon to stop me, screw "light showers".

Now I can put "2001 YZ426F" in my sig and strut around with my "new" used bike.

• 642MX

Posted January 20, 2006 - 08:56 PM

Congats on the bike.

• b-bike

Posted January 20, 2006 - 10:39 PM

w00t! Got it. Today! Didn't get to ride it much, just up and down the driveway and around in the woods some...in the pitch black. The header was glowing a nice sassy orange color, just like the turbo in my car. My car is blue too, geezus I'm so stoked. Goin to Brushy Mountain tomorrow and it'll take a typhoon to stop me, screw "light showers".

Now I can put "2001 YZ426F" in my sig and strut around with my "new" used bike.

Yo... village_idiot:

Your bike sounds awesome. I've been riding that same year of YZ from December 2001. :bonk: I did the 450 exhaust cam mod as well as the G.B. mod and I also added a 12oz. flywheel. My bike purrs like a kitten. It's a great woods bike as well as a MXer. Keep up on your maintainance and it will last for quite some time.

Yes, the 2006 version of Yamaha's are improved, but that bike will do everything you'll ask of it and more.

If you ever need any help with it, let us know. We are a very helpful bunch around here.

Enjoy yourself. :thumbsup:

Boyd

• Sigtober

Posted January 21, 2006 - 05:30 PM

Sounds like you found a pretty good bike. The first thing I'd recommend is to install a 450 exhaust cam (450DCM) and ease the starting routine for yourself. I did this to my '02 in summer of 2003 and it made a world of difference in starting and a better power output for me. No routine and no decompression lever needed

The wet sump kits can be retrofitted if they didn't seal off the passages and orifices when the wet sump kit was installed. Just get the galley lines and bolts for your year and remove the plate from the oil pump. Check for the oil screen in the frame and a dip stick and you should be okay. If you do a regular oil change and keep good clean oil filters you can live with the wet sump mod. I kept my 426 dry and don't feel I'd notice the minimal weight loss.

Good luck and anjoy your 426, I know mine is a God send for me and I love it.

Bill

Hey whats that thing your talking about, that "450 exhaust cam (450DCM)?" You mean you just kick the bike and go? Where can I get one of those?

• Satch0922

Posted January 21, 2006 - 05:36 PM

Hey whats that thing your talking about, that "450 exhaust cam (450DCM)?" You mean you just kick the bike and go? Where can I get one of those?

Look at the thread posted at the top of this forum..."450 Cam Mod"

• Wyatt

Posted January 21, 2006 - 06:31 PM

If you keep that bike as a wet sump, change the oil frequently!!!

I think the recomendation is about every hour with the motor wet sumped. You could probably stretch it a little more, but not much more. Other than that, sounds like a cool deal.

• yzfbooch

Posted January 22, 2006 - 10:32 AM

Curious what the G.B mod is?

TIA

booch

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:12 AM

Curious what the G.B mod is?

TIA

booch

Booch....it is the mod that allows you to adjust the accelerator pump spray duration on the FCR carb. If you have bogging off of idle this mod will help.

Find out more here -
BK/GB Mod

• Satch0922

Posted January 22, 2006 - 11:14 AM

For you guys new to the 426....check out Garrett Berg's website (link below)

Tech Articles

• yzfbooch

Posted February 12, 2006 - 12:16 PM

Good stuff - thanks for the link!

booch

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.