Seal behing sprocket gone at 1500k's

7 replies to this topic
  • Fordskin

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:54 PM

My bike has blown the seal behind the front sprocket. I did a search and found that this is common but mainly on pre 2002 models. Mine is 05 and only has 1500 k's. It was just lucky that i seen it pissing out before it seized! It had very little oil in it when i looked after towing it home but did not make any sinister noises. It has a 3 month warrenty but has run out by a week. I have checked the breather on the air box and it is not pinched. The chain was not tight. I thought honda fixed this problem? I know its a cheap fix but it has changed my view on this bike. maybe i won't notice it leaking the next time and it will cost big dollars :applause:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 06, 2006 - 04:34 PM

I always carry one of these seals with me and of course I have never needed it. Yes they fixed the problem but it is a seal and freak things can happen. If you over fill them with oil is one of the main reasons for them going out. If you are careful to change oil according to procedure in manual and keep chain tention in speck you should be OK and never see this problem again. To be safe always carry a spare seal. They can be changed out on the trail with just a few tools.

• goblin127

Posted January 07, 2006 - 07:24 AM

What bike we talkin here?

• TimBrp

Posted January 07, 2006 - 07:31 AM

Sorry if the question seems offensive but have you ever over-filled the oil? That's one of the first locations a blowout typically happens. However, as oldman said it's a seal and freaky things happend. Maybe you got a Friday bike? J/K..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fordskin

Posted January 07, 2006 - 05:32 PM

The bike is a 650r 2005. Took it back to Honda and found out it has a 12 month warra nty not the 3 months in the book. Oil was not overfilled and no oil in air box. Chain was correct tension. Breather was not pinched. Stuffed if i know.

• bork

Posted January 08, 2006 - 05:02 AM

I never heard of this . my XR600 1994 affected ?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 08, 2006 - 04:53 PM

The bike is a 650r 2005. Took it back to Honda and found out it has a 12 month warra nty not the 3 months in the book. Oil was not overfilled and no oil in air box. Chain was correct tension. Breather was not pinched. Stuffed if i know.

If you have twelve months put some miles on that bike before the warrantee is through to make sure you have no bearing damage. What happened in your case was a freak thing as long as you know for sure the oil was not overfilled. These bikes can be tricky if you don't follow the manufactures directions. Let's assume it was just a bad seal. Stuff happens.

• don87xr600

Posted January 08, 2006 - 07:56 PM

I never heard of this . my XR600 1994 affected ?

Yes, yours should fail any year now.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.