More Stabalizer/damper questions?

19 replies to this topic
  • Punisher660

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:26 AM

Earlier I questioned to get a rekluse or a stabalizer. You all convinced me to go with the stabalizer, but now the question is which one.

I have narrowed the choices down to a "below the bars system". There are so many to choose from, the more expensive it is though, the longer I have to wait.

Looking at GPR version 3 (has the remote adjustment on the left handlebar side. $675

RTT - also a sub mount, but only has the on/off on the left handlebar side ($599)

Scotts/BRP setup does not have remote adjust, but for $675 includes pro-tapers

GPR Version 2 is $575, but is manually adjust only.

Questions:
1. How important is it to be able to adjust on the fly?
2. How many of you have used the RTT system
3. How would you guys rate each in terms of performance/durability
4. Is there a better option than what I have listed that I may not know about?

Thanks for the help :applause:

• ARin

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:33 AM

go with scotts...if i recall correctly, when i was researching stabilizers, it is the only unit that has a "true" free return to center.

meaning that it dampens as the bars turn away from center, but does not dampen when returning to center. Also, i think that scotts/ohlins have been doing it longer than anyone...and really have the design squared away.

watching Dust to Glory and seeing all of the baja racers with scotts units really confirmed my choice in my head.

and as for adjusting on the fly, the handlebar adjuster seems like overkill...its not difficult to adjust the scotts unit while riding...i do it all the time.

• ARin

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:37 AM

also, just to add...a sub setup really isnt beneficial unless you are 6 foot tall or more, and NEED the extra height.

if you are not real tall, you will need to opt for a low bend bar to compensate for the extra rise of the sub setup.

I am 6 foot even, and i chose a standard scotts 3-clamp setup, with the CR hi-bend bar, and it fits me very well.

http://www.planetbla.../showtell/3.jpg

• bg10459

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:40 AM

Is there a better option than what I have listed that I may not know about?

Maybe not better, but an alternative. This company makes a sub mount too.

http://www.ptenduro....bar_scotts.html

They don't list one for any aftermarket triple clamps, but I spoke with them and they said they can make one to fit whatever you have. I've never heard of them before, so I can't speak on quality or reliability, but it is less than half what a BRP/Scotts submount costs.

• Punisher660

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:01 PM

These guys look very interesting. I guess if the "on the fly" option is not that big of a deal, that will help save cost.

• FrankTheTank

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:03 PM

You can get the Scotts for 600.00 on there web site...?

• Punisher660

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Arin - how much did your setu prun? New or Used?

• ARin

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:11 PM

new setup....560 or so? from a scotts dealer off ebay.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:12 PM

I an one of the TALL guys and just put a Scotts damper on my WR.
Did the sub mount on the stock triple clamp using bar risers from AJs.
The whole setup from Scotts was $430.00.
I cant believe how much difference it makes.
Now I have both cheating devices, Rekluse and Scotts. :applause:

• Punisher660

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:43 PM

Do you have pics of this setup. I figured I would have to get new triple clamps since the stock ones are the 1 piece design where the lower clamp was molded into the tripple clamp.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigdrtrdr

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:31 PM

Do you have pics of this setup. I figured I would have to get new triple clamps since the stock ones are the 1 piece design where the lower clamp was molded into the tripple clamp.

I have a post "Scotts damper followup" a few pages back. Byggd posted some of the pics.
Eric

• Koko Azuela

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:32 PM

Go with Scotts, can't miss, i have a couple of friends that have the GPR unit and both of their units have had issues with oil leakage, GPR is great with customer service, they will rebuild it a no charge, but you have to send it in, with Scotts you pay for the service but you won't have any problems with the unit :applause:
I would buy a Scotts, lots more fine tuning than the other brands..

• clark4131

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:06 PM

If you go the SUB mount route, get everything through BRP, including the new triple clamp and stabilizer. They work hand-in-hand with Scotts and each company sells the other's products on their website. I've had nothing but great experiences with both companies, but BRP has been just a cut above...SC

• JAVA JOE

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:50 PM

If you go the SUB mount route, get everything through BRP, including the new triple clamp and stabilizer. They work hand-in-hand with Scotts and each company sells the other's products on their website. I've had nothing but great experiences with both companies, but BRP has been just a cut above...SC

I just went down to BRP on Tues. and bought their 22 MM black upper and lower triple clamps, Scott stabilizer, Pro-Taper bars-Low rise Pastrana ones to bring the height of the bars back to stock height.They threw in Spider grips,bar pad,and brake cable mount. I went with the sub mount so if I wreck I won't damage the stabilizer. It's still right in your face to adjust but real protected. So easy to put on too!!

• dreadrock

Posted January 07, 2006 - 05:47 PM

went with scott my self and im glad i did . think it might be the best thing ive done to it :applause:

04 WR450
04 crf 150

• Punisher660

Posted January 08, 2006 - 01:18 PM

Sounds like I'm going to have to just wait and save for the BRP/Scotts setup. Thanks guys :applause:

• ARin

Posted January 08, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Sounds like I'm going to have to just wait and save for the BRP/Scotts setup. Thanks guys :applause:

you will be happy that you didnt skimp. :bonk:

• Matty05

Posted January 09, 2006 - 03:24 AM

rtt and gbr submounts alot less bulky and out of the way.
I have a wer steering dampener and it is WAY out of the way!

• slief

Posted January 10, 2006 - 12:13 PM

I have a GPR V3 in blue with fatbars that are blue and a trailtech Lynx computer and magnesium mount. I just bought them all and paid about $1000 for everything. I will sell all complete for $800. They have never been ridden with but have been installed. I am selling my WR as I just picked up an 06 YZ250F which is a better bike for me because I am 5'6" and 150 pounds and was getting worked by the 450.
If you are interested, please email me at scott@globalstor.com

Best Regards,
Scott Leif

• Punisher660

Posted January 10, 2006 - 12:26 PM

thats an awsome deal, but unfortunately a little beyond my budget :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.