Throttle Stop Screw!

19 replies to this topic
  • marcusmoberg

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:11 AM

[COLOR=Navy]I found the YZ Throttle Stop Screw on Bike Bandit for $16.80!

That's outrageous!

Is there anywhere else that has the YZ Throttle Stop Screw for less money?[/COLOR]

• nothingleft

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:23 PM

Why don't you just pull out the WR throttle screw and cut it down for free? That is what I did and it was VERY easy to do. It should be cut down to 18.2mm from stock. Just make sure you use a file to round off any burrs and apply a little grease to the end of the bolt before reinserting it. The screw is not threaded all of the way down, so you do not have to worry about messing up the threads when cutting.

• byggd

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:54 PM

What he said :applause:

• farkawi

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:02 PM

I cut mine down and it works just fine!

• xr_man

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:27 PM

do you mean that some people actually BUY a YZ screw...not just cut it down ..... :applause:

• hotthrottle613

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:32 PM

do you mean that some people actually BUY a YZ screw...not just cut it down ..... :applause:

I got the dealer to give me a YZ screw for free when I bought my bike. I had to install it, but that was a five minute job.

• dbailey223

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:56 PM

When I bought in 2003, the dealer threw it in and installed it.

• Clifton

Posted January 06, 2006 - 02:43 PM

Bench Grinder.......works great.........all I can say.

• bg10459

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:10 PM

Oh, I feel so dumb :applause:
I bought a YZ throttle stop for $12. Definitely overpriced, but I had to because the guy who I got the bike from cut it too short. Not a good thing, as the throttle could become stuck open.
Go ahead and cut it, just make sure you don't cut too much. There is a spec length, but I'm not sure what it is. Do a search and you'll find it.

• JSanfilippo

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:38 PM

There is a GTY-R kit that comes with the YZ needle, AIS block off kit, and the YZ throttle stop for around $40. Why not just buy that? Can someone supply this guy with the part #.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bcs

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:50 PM

You can find the part number on the Yamaha web site. Go to the WR450page and click the Accessories tab.

• marcusmoberg

Posted January 06, 2006 - 04:00 PM

Whenever you are about to put the grinded down throttle stop screw in you have to put grease and lock tight around it right!

Where can you buy lock tight at? :applause:

• nothingleft

Posted January 06, 2006 - 04:45 PM

Whenever you are about to put the grinded down throttle stop screw in you have to put grease and lock tight around it right!

Where can you buy lock tight at? :applause:

Put the grease on the end of the throttle stop screw where you cut it off (any exposed metal that is now showing - meaning the silver area). You can put lock tight on it. I used the blue lock tight and you can buy that stuff at any autoparts store, hobby shop, motorcycle store, Wal-Mart, etc.

The guys at the dealership I bought my bike from said the length of the throttle stop is not important and they have even had some guys completely remove the screw. I still cut mine to the 18.2mm length and have not had any problems.

• rich1167

Posted January 06, 2006 - 05:04 PM

There is a GTY-R kit that comes with the YZ needle, AIS block off kit, and the YZ throttle stop for around $40. Why not just buy that? Can someone supply this guy with the part #.

Based on other posts Ive seen, that kit is on backorder almost everywhere.

• bg10459

Posted January 06, 2006 - 05:30 PM

The guys at the dealership I bought my bike from said the length of the throttle stop is not important and they have even had some guys completely remove the screw.

This is typical of dealership guys. They are usually not qualified to tie their own shoes, much less offer any sort of technical advice.
While it isn't likely, it is possible that the throttle will get stuck wide open without the stop; and it is likely that it will happen at the most inopportune time. :applause:

• nothingleft

Posted January 06, 2006 - 05:47 PM

This is typical of dealership guys. They are usually not qualified to tie their own shoes, much less offer any sort of technical advice.
While it isn't likely, it is possible that the throttle will get stuck wide open without the stop; and it is likely that it will happen at the most inopportune time. :applause:

I agree with you. That is why I cut mine down and put it back in. I could see some moisture and/or mud flying in the open hole and really messing things up with the throttle.

• Moondogger

Posted January 06, 2006 - 07:53 PM

Marcus,

PM your address to me and I'll mail you the YZ throttle stop. I got an extra one when I bought the GYT-R AIS removal kit. I don't need it. It's yours if you want it.

-Alex

• 1BLUEsky

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:12 PM

I think the legnth to remove is 11mm. DO NOT leave it out as I read several posts saying that the guys had some damage done to the throttle components.

• tony1970

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:21 PM

I got the dealer to give me a YZ screw for free when I bought my bike. I had to install it, but that was a five minute job.

Ditto. But I got the dealer to install it. :applause:

• oberhemv

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:25 PM

Just bought a used 05, went to the dealer and bought the kit for $39, comes with the yz screw, #48 pilot jet, adjustable needle w/ 7 possible positions for the clip (don't know if it is as good as the JD needle), the AIS removal caps, and best of all, INSTRUCTIONS FOR DUMMIES! :applause: which spells everything out step by step with enough pictures.
Part # GYT-5TJ93-69-00

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.