Well I finally destroyed my Flatland Rad grds

14 replies to this topic
  • Fryboy

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:40 AM

Yup, I have crashed many a time, in a variety of different and creative ways, and never, not once, have I ever bent a FL rad guard after switching from Devol 3 years ago. (bent a Devol when bike tipped on trailer at Clear Creek) I was very impressed with them until very recently.

I clipped a tree going about 8-10mph I'm guessing, the bike fell over on opposite side and landed just right on a downed tree. The guard bent backwards a bit, and did some damage to the radiator.

Now my question, if you were me, would you go back with FL or try the new Unibiker or Rooster Performance kind. Anyone tried all of these have any advice? I really have liked the flatlands but now believe the brackets for frontal impact are not up to my crashing standards. :applause:

Thanks !
Fryboy

• bg10459

Posted January 06, 2006 - 10:53 AM

I have the flatlands and I love them, but I've heard nothing bad about the unabikers either. I have heard that the guy at flatlands (mike? can't remember his name) is very accomodating, and has even reinforced his guards at a customers direction and request. It might be a good idea to give him a call. He may repair and reinforce your guards for you.

• CycleWriter

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:48 AM

I have tried the Works Connection braces (junk, cost me a right side radiator), the Rooster Performance (pretty good), and the Unabiker on my '04 WR450. The Unabiker guards have worked out the best and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Mounting is a little complex, but the protection they provide from front and side impacts is awesome. :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:10 PM

I've been happy with the Devols so far but when I switch it will be the Roosters that allow you to use your stock louvers. We all know that side impact is the cause for 99% of radiator replacements and these roosters look pretty stout. I like the idea of being able to use the stock louvers, my Devols will let to much mud through :applause:

• nothingleft

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:27 PM

I've been happy with the Devols so far but when I switch it will be the Roosters that allow you to use your stock louvers. We all know that side impact is the cause for 99% of radiator replacements and these roosters look pretty stout. I like the idea of being able to use the stock louvers, my Devols will let to much mud through :applause:

I just received the Unabiker guardss yesterday and have not installed them yet. I am a little concerned about removing the stock louvers and not having them. Will this cause any issues with overheating or clogging the rad with mud? Those of you with the Unabiker, can you let me know if you have had any problems?

• CycleWriter

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:40 PM

I just received the Unabiker guardss yesterday and have not installed them yet. I am a little concerned about removing the stock louvers and not having them. Will this cause any issues with overheating or clogging the rad with mud? Those of you with the Unabiker, can you let me know if you have had any problems?

I haven't had any problems in that regard, but I don't ride in extremely heavy mud too often. I might add, the stock louvers provide absolutely zero support for the radiators, but they are good at showing any deformity of the radiator after an impact since even a small ding will cause them to bend. If you're concerned about mud clogging the radiators you can always put panty hose over the front half. Personally, I'd rather have the protection that a full-wrap guard provides, but if mud is a big concern then you have to decide what's more important for yourself. Keep in mind that if there's mud then there's usually water nearby that you can use to clean a dirty radiator, but a broken radiator will stop you in your tracks.

• CycleWriter

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I've been happy with the Devols so far but when I switch it will be the Roosters that allow you to use your stock louvers.

I don't know what Rooster guard you're looking at, but I don't see any way to use the stock louvers with them. That isn't even mentioned on their website.
http://www.roosterpe..._WRF450_rad.htm

We all know that side impact is the cause for 99% of radiator replacements and these roosters look pretty stout. I like the idea of being able to use the stock louvers, my Devols will let to much mud through :applause:

Unless you simply fall over Artie Johnson-style, front impact is usually a component of most crashes. That's why I like the Unabiker guards so much. They give impact protection from almost any direction. I've taken hits that broke the shroud, but left the rads undamaged.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fryboy

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:32 PM

Ehhhh I wouldn't sweat it bro. I have been running without those louvers since I got my bike in 02. No problems what so ever and I ride in all kinds of goop. I do run Watter-wetter in my Rad's to help with overheating. Great stuff by the way. Just wash off radiator front and back after every ride and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone,
I may look into getting the Unibikers.

P.S. Flatlands are definately a better guard compared to Devols. No offense to anyone that bought Devols as I said earlier that was my original choice at the time ( 2002 )

• Team_Oatmeal_Pie

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:03 PM

FryBoy
You havent been drinking pond water and leaving you bike out in the woods by itself again have you.
How was last years TT Ride? With me moving to AZ I had too much going on, but will probably make the next one. Good to see some old timers like us still on the board and more importantly still riding. :applause:

• The_Blue_One

Posted January 06, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hey fryboy

If the ones from my 05 wr will fit i have a set for you :applause: I can't use them with the bigger rads i'm using.

Let me know
Bill

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:08 PM

Uni's. Hands down. No problems at all, no overheating issues. :applause:

• tony1970

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:28 PM

Unibikers. :applause: They completely cover the radiators and they are thick and strong. I have not had any problems with boil over running them and I ride some steep technical trails in heat a lot.

• Fryboy

Posted January 07, 2006 - 06:03 AM

FryBoy
You havent been drinking pond water and leaving you bike out in the woods by itself again have you.
How was last years TT Ride? With me moving to AZ I had too much going on, but will probably make the next one. Good to see some old timers like us still on the board and more importantly still riding. :bonk:

How you doing Team Oatmeal Pie (Todd right?) Damn I haven't heard from you in years. No pond water for me :cry: and nope, I haven't had to leave my baby in the woods again. Damn, you have a good memory. You are in AZ now heh? Wouldn't mind riding in your area one of these days. Ever in our area anymore? Would love to hook up with you again. Good times......

Bill, Thanks bro! I'll take them guards off you !!!! You da man :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted January 07, 2006 - 03:11 PM

I don't know what Rooster guard you're looking at, but I don't see any way to use the stock louvers with them. That isn't even mentioned on their website.
http://www.roosterpe..._WRF450_rad.htm

Unless you simply fall over Artie Johnson-style, front impact is usually a component of most crashes. That's why I like the Unabiker guards so much. They give impact protection from almost any direction. I've taken hits that broke the shroud, but left the rads undamaged.

The Rooster guards I am referring to were just spotted in the last issue of Dirt Rider, they were covered in the article that had like 75 tech - tips for a CRF250X. They looked really stout and I think that the the stock louvers are best way to keep your 4 stroke cool in all conditions.
:applause:

I have had more radiator mishaps than I care to even think about but never have I had a front puncture, usually frontal impacts grab the shrouds and bend everything back. These roosters attach to the frame up front in two spots with very stout rods, they have a full plate side cover but I could not see how the back att'd. :bonk:

• CycleWriter

Posted January 07, 2006 - 08:06 PM

The Rooster guards I am referring to were just spotted in the last issue of Dirt Rider, they were covered in the article that had like 75 tech - tips for a CRF250X. They looked really stout and I think that the the stock louvers are best way to keep your 4 stroke cool in all conditions.

Not to nitpick, Don, but why are you talking about Honda guards in a Yamaha forum? In any case, even if you could mount them, I doubt you'd get good airflow using both a guard and the stock louvers.

I have had more radiator mishaps than I care to even think about but never have I had a front puncture, usually frontal impacts grab the shrouds and bend everything back.

I had a frontal impact that folded the shroud in and bent the rad back. That's why I recommend the wraparound design used by Unabiker. The Devols use a clamshell design that lacks the rear triangulation of the others and can allow damage from a frontal impact.

These roosters attach to the frame up front in two spots with very stout rods, they have a full plate side cover but I could not see how the back att'd. :applause:

Don, what you just described are the Unabiker guards, but the Yamaha ones don't use this design. Look here: http://shop.thumpert...er_radguard.htm The Yamaha ones are a two-piece clamshell design.
The Rooster guards are stamped from flat aluminum and have no rods. The big-bore WR model is a one-piece design. See here: http://www.roosterpe..._WRF450_rad.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.