Motorcycle trailer suggestions

16 replies to this topic
  • dbailey223

Posted January 05, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I'm in Vegas. Any good place nearby to get a motorcycle trailer or small trailer that words good hauling 2 bikes?

• Punisher660

Posted January 06, 2006 - 08:17 AM

If you have a welder and tourches, build one.

• dbailey223

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Nope, don't have a welder and have never welded.

THe more I think about it, a small utility trailer that could double as a bike trailer and a trailer for hauling smaller stuff would be ideal. Some of the trailers that I have seen online come with a frame, you install the plywood deck, and then the bike tracks bolt on and could be unbolted in case you wanted to use the trailer for non-bike purposes. Anybody have one of those?

• WGP

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:34 AM

I went with a Utility Trailer like you mention :applause:

Can use it for many things. It is 5X8 and has 3 ft steel sides on it. Can haul 3 or maybe 4 bikes. You want to get one with the biggest tires you can find and some-sort of suspension. The dirt roads beat the shit out of those things.

Stay away from the cheap assemble yourself crap, it won't last and you won't be happy.

I paid 1600$ for mine and its worth every penny. Very high resale too!

• Punisher660

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:18 AM

I have a smaller one, 3.5 ft wide 7 ft long. Solid steel so it weighs a ton, but hold 2 bikes and does all the gardening choirs (like hauling sand/gravel/whatever) Thought about selling it though because I need something that can move the quads for a day trip. Too bad your so far :applause:

• dbailey223

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:21 PM

I'm actually looking to get a trailer for an October 06 ride in Utah--small world. I have a hitch carrier that works great for me, but I'll be bringing my bike and a bike up bike for a friend on the ride, so I need a trailer.

• Punisher660

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:40 PM

is this for the Paiute trail ride?

• byggd

Posted January 06, 2006 - 12:52 PM

I kept checking ads in the recycler and finally found a three bike/rail one with new tires and lights for $300. I guess I just got lucky :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted January 06, 2006 - 01:57 PM

Yes, the Paiute ride.

Yup byggd, I like your deal!

• David37

Posted January 06, 2006 - 07:49 PM

I went with a 5'X8' utility trailer with side panels, it's made by BigTex. I can carry 3 full size bikes or a bunch of gravel, plywood, etc. BigTex makes a wide variety of trailer sizes and types.

• rushfan

Posted January 06, 2006 - 08:27 PM

I was shopping for a Big Tex, but the one I had found made Big Tex look like tin. I bought a 6' x 10' from American Utility Trailer in Tracey, Ca. I don't remember what gage the frame is, but it's all beef. The side panels, which are 2.25' high, 14 gage I think, are all of the way around with rails on top of that, a big rear gate with awesome hardware and also D hooks all of the way around. It has been a great tool. And, oh yeah, I was a little cheaper than Big Tex.

• WildRide

Posted January 06, 2006 - 08:48 PM

I was shopping for a Big Tex, but the one I had found made Big Tex look like tin. I bought a 6' x 10' from American Utility Trailer in Tracey, Ca. I don't remember what gage the frame is, but it's all beef. The side panels, which are 2.25' high, 14 gage I think, are all of the way around with rails on top of that, a big rear gate with awesome hardware and also D hooks all of the way around. It has been a great tool. And, oh yeah, I was a little cheaper than Big Tex.

How cheap is cheap?

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted January 06, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Try your local home depot store. Seriously, saw some great trailers ready to roll for around 400-500...

• WildRide

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:02 PM

Try craigslist too, last year I got a 3 month old 2004 5000GVWR 14' x 6.5' 50LA BigTex tandem utility w/ramp, permanent plate and electric brakes w/prodigy controller for $1k. I have carried as much as 2 quads and four dirt bikes on it at once. Also hauled a Yanmar tractor with several implements also. It has come in handy a bunch of times. Craigslist is awesome!!

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:02 PM

I've got a 3 rail I could sell, but I'm in Montana. That probably wont help though will it. :applause:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted January 06, 2006 - 11:30 PM

I bought a 7 x 12 foot utility trailer off of craiglist for $600.

Be patient, you have tons of options.

The only thing is that with the utility trailer, you will have to add some tie down hooks.

But, the uhaul trailer is only 20 bucks to rent. Use uhaul and be patient for the killer deal.

• rushfan

Posted January 07, 2006 - 08:47 AM

How cheap is cheap?

It was $1,300 OTD

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.