Police SWARMING around Chicago suburban trails

16 replies to this topic
  • chicagobikefan

Posted January 05, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Hey guys & gals,

My first post!

Over the past few years I did some riding up and down trails in the southwest suburbs of Chicago near Willow Springs, Lemont, and that area. The trails are Metropolitan Water Reclamation District access roads on miles and miles of unoccupied land. No "no trespassing" signs of any kind, just lots of dirt roads.

Everything went smoothly for several years but over the past six months there has been an almost unbelievable police presence. Twice I was pulled over right near there and I hadn't even been riding; I was just going past. They saw the XR650L and treated me like I was a career criminal. I never got a ticket but was warned to stay away.

My God, what's the issue here? What in the world could be the reason for this police presence? It's just miles of nothing but dirt roads! Have any of you experienced this sort of thing where you are?

• XRL_Rider

Posted January 05, 2006 - 06:14 PM

Willow Springs was fantastic about 20 years ago, before the paved bicycle path went in. :applause: I used to ride along the Cal-Sag canal with no troubles up until the last few years. There has been alot of development going on in the area -golf courses, apartments, car washes, that kind of stuff.
Things have turned to crap as far as trails in this area. :bonk: If you know of any good trails left in the area please share!

• comatose

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:00 PM

secret government alien research facility

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:08 PM

dude, its dirt roads, your on a dirt bike, there in a car......just give er a lil gas and say :applause: :bonk: :cry: :cry: :cry: you pigs!!!

• Dualsport1

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:12 PM

Now theres a plan. just don,t ruin it for the responsible riders

• wr450fyamaha

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:17 PM

Now theres a plan. just don,t ruin it for the responsible riders

id never do that hehe :applause:

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hey guys & gals,

My first post!

Over the past few years I did some riding up and down trails in the southwest suburbs of Chicago near Willow Springs, Lemont, and that area. The trails are Metropolitan Water Reclamation District access roads on miles and miles of unoccupied land. No "no trespassing" signs of any kind, just lots of dirt roads.

Everything went smoothly for several years but over the past six months there has been an almost unbelievable police presence. Twice I was pulled over right near there and I hadn't even been riding; I was just going past. They saw the XR650L and treated me like I was a career criminal. I never got a ticket but was warned to stay away.

My God, what's the issue here? What in the world could be the reason for this police presence? It's just miles of nothing but dirt roads! Have any of you experienced this sort of thing where you are?

Hello and Welcome to TT
Hate to hear that about a good riding area. Its getting the same way here as well. Take care and God bless. :applause:

Luke 6:45 :bonk: :cry:

• al_piv

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:21 PM

I would suggest talking to the Police and find out what the reason is, then contact the goverment or city agency that has done this and work with them to figure out a way that both sides can benifit from the use.. If those dirt roads are county, city or state roads, it is perfectly legal for you to ride on them.

Just my two cents worth.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hello and Welcome to TT
Hate to hear that about a good riding area. Its getting the same way here as well. Take care and God bless. :applause:

Luke 6:45 :bonk: :cry:

yeah, they shut down a 10 mile trail.....very nice one.....ran along m37, about 2 minutes away from my house......now ive gotta go at least an hour away. :cry: :cry: :p

• captb

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:59 PM

Hey guys & gals,

My first post!

:applause: A large columbian drug cartel is growing illegal crops there and the local cops are being paid to keep the unsuspecting public out. After the harvest you can ride again.

• goblin127

Posted January 05, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Around where im from we have had trails shut down that were once ok but not really legal. It was because of the resevoirs in the area of these trails. Home land defense sorta thing from 9/11.

• FZ1426

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:20 AM

There's obviously not enough murder, mayhem, theft, and robbery for them to spend time on so they need to protect society against dirt bikes. Your tax dollars (and politicians) at work...

• ghoti

Posted January 06, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hey guys & gals,

My first post!

I would suspect it's because it's within the water reclamation district. It's been my experience that pulic access to such lands are severly limited.

• brichter

Posted January 11, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Water supply = terrorist target. :applause:

• XRL_Rider

Posted January 11, 2006 - 08:05 PM

Water supply = terrorist target. :bonk:

IN this area the drinking water comes from lake Michigan.The water reclamation district handles the sewage canals and the surrounding area. Not the kind of water you would even want to touch, much less drink. The stuff is black and full of floating used condoms. :applause:

• chicagobikefan

Posted January 12, 2006 - 08:02 PM

I believe that the big thing that the cops are looking for are illegal dumpers. It seems like every time I went back there, there was a new pile of tires or a burned-out car sitting there. But, come on -- a guy on a dirt bike can't be dumping tires. Nor could he be carrying a bunch of, I don't know, water poison. Nor could he be cultivating illegal crops. I don't know, maybe they're bored over there. Can any of you think of another reason why the squad car lights go on as soon as they see me *near* the trail entrances? What is the big deal about riding on a dirt road?

• rkuckkahn

Posted January 13, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I think it's your face. You look too guilty....like "hey I'm doing something wrong." Try to look more inocent. Smile and put on a long blond wig. Let it hang out of your helmet, then see what happens. Let us know, ok? You probably should take some doughnuts too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.