Valves and a little smoke on start-up...

3 replies to this topic
  • troyfisher123

Posted January 05, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Do they go hand in hand?

The bike is an '04 YZ450F. I bought it from a friend of mine with it having 38 hours on it. The bike now has 86 hours on it and sometime between 72 and 80 hours, it started blowing a bit of black smoke on start-up, but when it's been run and is hot, it doesn't smoke that I have noticed. Yes, I have looked. It has a WB Carbon Pro exhaust and a Lectron carb. I don't think that is really relevant, but the information is there in case someone asked. Is the smoke from the valves needing to be adjusted? I just had the valves adjusted but haven't picked the bike up yet, so I don't know if it still does the smoking or not. The valves were all in spec yet, with the exception of one, which they tell me wasn't far off at all and really didn't need much attention. So, if it continues to smoke, where do I look next? And from what I have read on here, Yamaha's seem to keep the valves in check and not need too much adjustment, correct? I just want to make sure all my bases are covered before I take the bike home. If something needs to be addressed, I'd like to be able to tell them where to look. Thanks guys!

• grayracer513

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:41 PM

Black smoke is from an excess of fuel, so yes, the non-OEM carb is a relavant fact. Valves being incorrectly clearanced don't cause smoke of any kind. A brief bit of white or "blue" (white, really) smoke on a cold start can be caused by the valve guide seals allowing a small amount of oil to run down one or more of the intake stems as it sits.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 02YZ426

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:45 PM

Mine will puff some black smoke on start up too... I think its from the choke because it stops soon as it warms up a bit.

• troyfisher123

Posted January 05, 2006 - 10:40 PM

Black smoke is from an excess of fuel, so yes, the non-OEM carb is a relavant fact. Valves being incorrectly clearanced don't cause smoke of any kind. A brief bit of white or "blue" (white, really) smoke on a cold start can be caused by the valve guide seals allowing a small amount of oil to run down one or more of the intake stems as it sits.

So with it being a jetless carb, I need to lessen the amount of fuel going in on the bottom end, correctomundo?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.