XR 650 Electric Start?

10 replies to this topic
  • BajaRat

Posted January 05, 2006 - 01:55 PM

Have run a search with no results for electric start for 650R. I would sure appreciate feedback from people that now have the button on their 650r's.

Please help me with gathering info on this as I am a veteran with a lot of hardware in my right leg and I get tired trying to start on cold days, and spills.

Thanks.

• Wheels up

Posted January 05, 2006 - 01:57 PM

Steroids

Lol joking joking.

Not sure but I would imagine someone out there must have one.

• snaggleXR650

Posted January 05, 2006 - 03:39 PM

Hello,
I don't use one myself, but I've heard a bit. You can buy the kit at Bajadesigns.com, there site is kinda goofy, so just go into the "Online Store" and look for XR650R electric start. It's $875, not cheap. It's not the best looking kit as the starter motor is mounted right above the left side of the motor. The battery is tucked in up under the gas tank and carb. I've heard that the gear ratio is different for the kicker and the electric starter (kicker will still work) so you have to pull in the decomp lever so that the motor can turn over the engine. Other than looks, and price it supposedly works well. I believe you will need a stator rewind also to make enough juice to charge the big battery etc... That's another $125.

Here's a couple links.

http://www.thumperta... electric start

• knuklehead

Posted January 05, 2006 - 07:42 PM

Joe racer products has a clean kit,almost looks factory.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 05, 2006 - 08:39 PM

I have been running the Baja Designs E-Start for going on 2 years. No problems. It is kinda ugly but very nice to have in a pinch.

I researched the Joe Racer starter before getting the Baja Designs starter. Every person I could find who tried the Joe Racer could not get their kit to function and support was poor. After reading several horror stories I decided to go with a company that can be trusted and gives excellant support. The Joe racer kit does look factory but what good are looks if it don't work right and there is not good support.

Maybe Joe Racer has got his act together since 2 years ago but be careful. Joe Racer tries to put the heavy battery behind your number plate. Go figure.

Oh yeah, a french company just came out with a really good looking E-Starter for the XR650R. Very factory looking and very expensive. But it appears to be really quality unit. By the way, there is nothing cheap about the Baja Designs unit. It is made to last.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DA Snow

Posted January 06, 2006 - 02:30 PM

Baja Designs sells the only kit I have found. It is well supported by the techs at Baha Designs. They say you can do the install without expert help.
I considered adding one to my 2004 but elected to never stall instead!

• huntmaster

Posted January 06, 2006 - 02:59 PM

As noted it can be done...but why? A huge expense to make an even heavier 650R when there are so many e-start off-road bikes out there that would fit the bill if the happy button is absolutely necessary... or the pending 600X model?

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 06, 2006 - 04:41 PM

As noted it can be done...but why? A huge expense to make an even heavier 650R when there are so many e-start off-road bikes out there that would fit the bill if the happy button is absolutely necessary... or the pending 600X model?

The fact that the XR650'R is a heavy bike is all the more reason to have a button. I have never regretted the money or the weight it has added to my bike. When you have the big XR in a difficult situation where kicking it is not going to be easy the starter puts a big smile on your face. You remember the days that you would have had to kick start it as simply a bad memory that is no more. :applause: If you like the big XR as I do and plan on keeping it for many years the starter seems the natural thing to do. The combination of the E-start and an Edelbrock carb cannot be beat.

• thouk

Posted January 06, 2006 - 05:05 PM

OMT,
Do you have the stock cam on your bike? I have the Hotcams Stage 2 and I tried the BD starter. I also have the 680 kit installed with the 11:1 piston. I could not get the timing down to get it started like that. Do I need to reinstall the stock cam to make starting easier. The starter will turn the bike over with the decompreesor pulled in but as soon as I let it go the compression does not allow the bike to rotate. Thanks for the help. Tony

• Old_Man_Time

Posted January 06, 2006 - 07:24 PM

OMT,
Do you have the stock cam on your bike? I have the Hotcams Stage 2 and I tried the BD starter. I also have the 680 kit installed with the 11:1 piston. I could not get the timing down to get it started like that. Do I need to reinstall the stock cam to make starting easier. The starter will turn the bike over with the decompreesor pulled in but as soon as I let it go the compression does not allow the bike to rotate. Thanks for the help. Tony

I have the Hotcams stage 1. I usually kick start for the first start of a day. After it is warmed up. I pull in the manual decompresser get the motor spinning and then let it go and the bike starts every time. You may have too high of compression to use the Baja Designs starter with the 680 kit. You see Baja Design's starter does not have a reduction gear, it is a straight shot to the crank which means that starter has to overcome a lot. You may have to try that French company's starter. It has a reduction gear in it.

• Triumphs

Posted January 06, 2006 - 08:35 PM

A huge expense to make an even heavier 650R when there are so many e-start off-road bikes out there that would fit the bill if the happy button is absolutely necessary... or the pending 600X model?

Agreed. Throwing down the better part of a grand is a tough pill to swallow when there are so many stock e-start options out there. Besides, the money can soon be used to towards that new 600X and everything else will be better too! I like my BRP but it sure doesn't need the extra weight either.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.