426 Fourth Gear... Advice Needed

6 replies to this topic
  • NewfieWR

Posted January 05, 2006 - 01:09 PM

Okay, i have a 2000 YZ 426 F in my shop for the second time :applause:
I replaced the shift forks, pinion gear, & wheel gear {fourth}

After replacing the above the owner ran the bike for a few weeks, & couldn't of been happier {done valves at same time}
Anyway, he has returned with the same problem...no fourth gear :cry:

Am i missing something....anytime i'm down to any transmission on any bike...i take great care in rebuilding it as well as the rest of the motor.

Is there a problem with early 426's.............any advice would be great.
I can only put it back together the way i already did :bonk:
with another new set of gears :cry:

• NewfieWR

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:17 AM

Any advice :applause: I'd really appreciate it.
Even sorry i can't help you would be great :bonk:

Thanks

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 06, 2006 - 03:33 AM

I fitted the shim from one side to the other on 5th pinion gear, that gives 1mm more engagement from third pinion gear to 5th pinion gear, i also had to drill and bush the shift fork holes in the case as these wear really badly because of the gear jumping in and out and make the fork tip over more giving less engagement, nothing to do with 4th gear but may be the same problem in the cases :applause: .

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kurtsyz426

Posted January 06, 2006 - 05:45 AM

well. the only advice I can provide in relation to this, is that I had a similar problem last year when i could not get my 2002 426 into 5th and I ended up replacing both my 3rd and 5th pinion gears and the selection fork. A mate helped me get it al back together and it has been fine ever since. The only advise i could provide is to check all other gears at the same time and the selection fork aswell...
sorry, tis all i have for you..

Kurt

• NewfieWR

Posted January 06, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Thanks guys,
I'll certainly pay close attention to the fit of the shift fork shafts in the case when i tear it down again. Not sure about the shim thing....but'll i'll certainly size that option up as well if i have to.
If there are any other suggestions / opinions out there...i'd really appreciate it :applause:

• odlaw19

Posted January 08, 2006 - 06:30 AM

I have just done my gearbox.

I'm pretty sure that the dogs on 3rd engage 4th. This is most likely your problem. I replaced both 3rd and 4th gears and all shift forks when i did the gearbox.

• jrcgaf364

Posted January 08, 2006 - 06:35 AM

I have just done my gearbox.

I'm pretty sure that the dogs on 3rd engage 4th. This is most likely your problem. I replaced both 3rd and 4th gears and all shift forks when i did the gearbox.

I would go with this suggestion.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.